Opinion What are we becoming (the effects of this saga on us supporters and our values)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I did what I had thought of doing for some months and finally cancelled my membership.

No downgrade, no wait-and-see. Cancelled.

I hated doing it and I wish it wasn't the case, but having read the email sent recently to Rohan Connolly after merely reporting the stance of one of our board candidates (like Rohan had previously done for multiple of other candidates who had a pro-Hird stance), I felt compelled to make my 'stand'.

In truth, I love this football club despite the s**t it can put you through but I don't love being associated as a member of this club anymore when supporters of the club treat each other with such disdain in the name of one man.

No longer are we united by our love for club, rather, it seems the supporters are divided by their thoughts on Hird and his ongoing role as coach of this club.

To support this, look no further than BomberBlitz where those who idolise James Hird have hundreds of posts dedicated to the personal abuse of board nominee Jennings because of his stance on Hird. He's considered vermin (as described by a moderator over there in the thread title), has had every word and description in the dictionary utilised to belittle him, all because of his thoughts on Hird's ongoing employment.

Similarly with myself, I've had the 'pleasure' of having my supporter allegiances questioned upwards of five seperate times on here - all because I don't follow the majority in my views on Hird.

Quite frankly, it's s**t. It's a cultural problem that's ongoing and has continued to fester for sometime.

I've said it before but I feel as though until today, I had become a member of a cult whereby I was being ostracized for not following the leader (Hird) by my fellow members and supporters, rather than being united arm-in-arms in support of our club and all it encompasses.

I want to highlight that this is not Hird's fault. I still feel he should be held accountable by the club for his part in this saga but it's the prevailing attitude and behaviour of a significant portion of the club's membership base in support of him is what has broken and disenfranchised me.

When we have our own members sending those kind of emails and making those comments on Blitz towards fellow Essendon supporters and members all because they haven't placed Hird on a pedestal or haven't done enough to, then what exactly have we become and why should people really want to be associated as a member?

That's a question for each person and there's no right or wrong answer. Obviously I found my answer and solution.

So for the foreseeable future, I won't be a member. I'll wait until I feel like I'm joining a united front in supporting the club as an entity rather than an individual in the club.

I don't expect anyone here to care, but taking a stand for myself at least seems pointless without at least someone noticing or understanding why I am.

Fire away if you so choose, I guess, if you have any thoughts on the issues I see.

Lighten up Ogg-dude. The planets will align again and so too will the supporters of our club. If Hird stands firm with the players 100% behind him as we win our next premiership it will be the sweetest achievement of this club. You should see out the journey after coming this far.

Not sure if this thread will remain open and it is difficult to call it an autopsy thread, as the thing has not reached its conclusion yet. Now more than ever I support the club, not the individual. Whether Hird, Bomber, Harvey or Craig were coaching us next year, I will remain a member. You support the club in prosperous times and in difficult times, if you have the financial means.

I'm not going to tell you to re-sign up for a membership or anything like that but I don't understand what this achieves. The club is in no way representative of the feelings of some supporters. You become a member to support the club through thick and thin.

It's a time where the club needs more support than it probably ever has. If I could afford to I would absolutely be a member and I think in some way that's why I chip in for the player sponsorship. While I can't afford to get a membership, it makes me happy to know that I'm giving whatever support I can to a club I invest so much in emotionally.

It's your decision and all and I respect that but I just don't see the reasoning. Swings and roundabouts, it'll all be okay.

There's some saying that suggests that if you care about something or love something, you do not always have to agree with it, but you should always try and help it through difficult times and help it become what it should and is intended to be.

But I don't remember the saying so nevermind.

I think you're judging the 'membership base' far too much on what you've seen on social media and sites like this.

Not all of our supporters gives a s**t about footy as much as we do on a site like this, or Blitz. And I've not seen one Essendon supporter here, even the most ardent pro-Hird types, condone Connolly's treatment at the hands of that goose the other day.

In the end- like you- the 'membership base' want the saga behind them. I can understand one quitting the club as a member because they don't approve of the direction the club's hierarchy have taken, but quitting because of the supporter base- especially when that is quantified by what you get on social media and sites like this, rather than keeping in mind that the average supporter who is more disconnected likely has much fewer rabid and vexed views on it all- well I understand that less.

A few bad apples don't make up the whole cart.

It's everyone's right to make their own call, though.

Your sig says it all + your avatar and also the #TeamBomber you have written everywhere.
Honestly losing Bomber has hurt you like so many of us Essendon supporters.
It's time to stand together and support the players and enjoy the ride they will take us on.

Lighten up Ogg-dude. The planets will align again and so too will the supporters of our club. If Hird stands firm with the players 100% behind him as we win our next premiership it will be the sweetest achievement of this club. You should see out the journey after coming this far.

Agreed

Once the fans can see the evidence that James has the support of the players, it will once again galvanise the supporter base like it did when he first re joined the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts are that a few idiots do not a whole supporter base make. Whilst we were appalled by what that imbecile posted on Twitter I'm sure the Club personnel were also appalled that some f'wit could send such a vitriolic diatribe in the name of being a Bombers supporter
Ogg Cat you have been very vocal throughout this and that is your right as its the rights of everyone.
I don't know how anyone can doubt your passion and love for the Essendon Football Club because it is evident in your postings.

Its sad to think that the actions of a supporter base can influence your feelings for the entity you and they both support. You arent the first to feel this way and you wont be the last. I feel that your anger may be misguided as it seems to revolve majorly around Hird and the removal of Bomber, I hope that Hird can prove to you that he is the right person for the job, and if not i hope you can come to peace with the decisions that certain individuals have made through this saga.

I hope that your passion for the game at least remains and that you can find comfort in the friends and people that you have gotten to know on this board as from my time here (admittidly not that long) there appear to be some good people here who are able to think logically about things and hold a conversation. Listen to those people instead of those who are too busy eating crayons in the corner to form a coherent thought and realise the stuff they are posting to social media is a poor reflection on the rest of us, however probably an accurate representation of their worth as a person (zero).

I understand where OP is coming from and it is a problem for the club at the moment. I didn't cancel my membership on the back of that alone but it is true that it is becoming less enjoyable to be a member of the club at the moment and other members/fans are one reason for that. Better and more visible leadership from the club itself would provide something to fill the void currently populated by mouthbreathers and knuckle draggers but the reality is that every club will have its groups of dero supporters and we just have to live with that.

Whilst I don't agree with the notion of cancelling your membership, I can respect it. We all react differently when confronted with different situations. You've probably had a harder time of it than many due to your difference in opinion to the masses on here, especially when having your allegiances questioned.

Personal opinion is you have a chance to make a difference as a member due to your voting rights. I'm sure you're well aware of that and the fact you're still willing to cancel your membership proves just how disillusioned you are with the club at present.

I hope you hang around here as you're a quality poster and when you're ready, jump back in with gusto.

Yes, I want to say one thing in relation to what Pweter has posted above.

This sort of thing highlights why the moderators have been so strong on people questioning the allegiances of our posters because their view differs from the majority. When someone is a long term poster especially, it really is absolute crap of the highest order. A weak tactic, and a cheap shot.

Yes, I want to say one thing in relation to what Pweter has posted above.

This sort of thing highlights why the moderators have been so strong on people questioning the allegiances of our posters because their view differs from the majority. When someone is a long term poster especially, it really is absolute crap of the highest order. A weak tactic, and a cheap shot.

Apologies Doss but just to clarify,
Allegiances questioned may have been from newer posters that didnt know any better, or are you saying it has been from the Long term posters who do know and do it out of spite?

Apologies Doss but just to clarify,
Allegiances questioned may have been from newer posters that didnt know any better, or are you saying it has been from the Long term posters who do know and do it out of spite?
I've seen it from both groups on occasion; I'm not going to name names. More from newbies who may not know better.

But still- Occam's Razor. When someone has been on a site for nigh on eight years as a listed Essendon supporter, and have posted as much as that across such a wide spectrum of topics (most of them not related to the saga at all) chances are, they're an Essendon supporter.

Some people need to take the tin foil hats off.

I can completely respect your decision Ogg. I on the other hand have decided to actually buy a membership this coming season. It's been said already that we need to stick together and I for one feel that's my course.

In saying that I also understand people like Bill Jennings, completely. He reminded me of a time that I hold quite dear to my heart. He's a damn good man Bill and the treatment he's rcvd by many is not cool imo. I'm sorry you had to feel that angst also for having a differing view. IMO, people like yourself Ogg, we need you. Otherwise we'll never be able to reflect on who we are.

ALL THE BEST MATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back