Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see why we should read any more into it than that? The hospital have been very open and provided updates for the media, so it's not like Haddin has gone in there and been told something we don't already know. Very likely it is just the situation getting to him.
I reckon if one of my team mates that I'd played with went through something like that, I'd react similarly too. He was very close to the whole thing as it unfolded and he had a "weak" moment

It's very hard to keep a brave face throughout something like this. Look at how upset this has made all of us, and we don't know him at all.

I wouldn't cal him a softy but we're all hoping his crying just because of the information we know and not because of everything worse.

Can't blame him if he is. I'd be in a similar state if it were one of my mates in there
Haddin is the drummer in the band - he keeps the beat, he was as close to anyone when it happened, is a good friend to everyone. This should have been one of the proudest days in his life, confirmed as the 49th Captain of Australia by the CA Board - he won't have given that a second thought - he's worried about the battle his mate has on his hands and he knows the gravity of the situation. I wouldn't call him a softy.
I'm not saying he is soft as in weak, but that he is a very caring and emotional guy

Apologies if this is deemed bad taste, but Haddin has been through a lot with his daughter so maybe the fact that so soon after that a close mate is in grave danger it could mean that he has taken it quite hard (what we are all hoping anyway).

This is s**t, IMO! Below is an article about a tweet sent by Harry Styles of One Direction in support of Hughes. Its entire content can be boiled down to this: a famous entertainer has tweeted his well wishes to Hughes and this tweet dwarves all others in retweets. It's had more retweets than Warne, and more than Isreal Folau!

I'm not criticizing the entertainer. That he has chosen to send a message of support to Hughes is a perfectly fine thing. I am criticizing the paper for writing a news story that is about little more than this tweet being the most successful of all tweets with regards the Hughes situation. WTF? The situation is significantly grave, and not something deducible to the equivalent of a 'tweeting pissing contest'. Incredible. We live in an era in which celebrities and their use of media is (apparently) equally as important as real life tragedy.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...styles-dwarfs-all-others-20141126-11ujbj.html

Am I being overly harsh here? It just seems stuffed to me.
they tried to turn it into a pissing contest. who had the best tweet

More sad for the younger victims though - it's pretty heartbreaking to strike up friendships with people you meet in the waiting rooms only to hear them sobbing in the corridor after the doc gives them the bad news. One lady who'd been with us every day found out her husband had woken up on the same day we were delivered the bad news about our Mum - you could see how awkward it was for her to offer her sympathies, like some kind of survivor's guilt.
We were in that kind of situation at RPH a few years back, my old girl and a lady from Kalgoorlie both in ICU with pneumonia from swine flu. We struck up a friendship with her husband and daughter. Our mum made it and the other lady didn't. That Christmas we received a card from the daughter with some very simple but moving and heartfelt words. That was hard to read. Survivor's guilt is a very real thing. How that girl kept her fundamental human decency in the face of such a horrible situation is something that will always stay with me. I'm sorry about you mum esti.

This is s**t, IMO! Below is an article about a tweet sent by Harry Styles of One Direction in support of Hughes. Its entire content can be boiled down to this: a famous entertainer has tweeted his well wishes to Hughes and this tweet dwarves all others in retweets. It's had more retweets than Warne, and more than Isreal Folau!

I'm not criticizing the entertainer. That he has chosen to send a message of support to Hughes is a perfectly fine thing. I am criticizing the paper for writing a news story that is about little more than this tweet being the most successful of all tweets with regards the Hughes situation. WTF? The situation is significantly grave, and not something deducible to the equivalent of a 'tweeting pissing contest'. Incredible. We live in an era in which celebrities and their use of media is (apparently) equally as important as real life tragedy.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...styles-dwarfs-all-others-20141126-11ujbj.html

Am I being overly harsh here? It just seems stuffed to me.

No, with things like that I see through a very cynical lens too. I have no doubt they genuinely feel bad for (insert injured person) but ultimately it's an exceptionally effective method of gaining favour among your fans as well as potentially making new ones who don't believe it's at least a tad contrived. The idea that somehow a famous person's sympathy is meritorious enough to receive media attention makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Don't want to sully this thread with my negativity on that subject though so I'll drop it with this post.

If Phil was beaten for pace and hit front on from the ball then the helmet would of done its job, all the highlights that the media show off other players getting hit in the head show the main problem and that is batsman taking their eye off the ball, it's got nothing to do with the bouncer and some balls batsman duck into makes it seem worse.

The thing that makes sport great is the challenge, pressure and fear players have to overcome in certain situations. It is a risk just like going to work and operating machinery or driving a car. What makes cricket stand above over other sports is the mental aspect to it, take that away and you may as well call the sport something else.

If Phil was beaten for pace and hit front on from the ball then the helmet would of done its job, all the highlights that the media show off other players getting hit in the head show the main problem and that is batsman taking their eye off the ball, it's got nothing to do with the bouncer and some balls batsman duck into makes it seem worse.

The thing that makes sport great is the challenge, pressure and fear players have to overcome in certain situations. It is a risk just like going to work and operating machinery or driving a car. What makes cricket stand above over other sports is the mental aspect to it, take that away and you may as well call the sport something else.

I really do wish more people would appreciate these points. The only issue here is the health and well being of Phil Hughes. All this other guff about administrators doing something about the bouncer, etc, is just a load of people grandstanding who really have little idea what they're talking about. It just confirms how little value the media really are most of the time.

I really do wish more people would appreciate these points. The only issue here is the health and well being of Phil Hughes. All this other guff about administrators doing something about the bouncer, etc, is just a load of people grandstanding who really have little idea what they're talking about. It just confirms how little value the media really are most of the time.
What will save cricket from aany knee jerk reactions is the incompetence of the ICC itself, which is wierd, but as it acts so slowly in dealing with any issue it will actually allow a proper review to be done at a more fitting time. No review should even start on the merits of any changes until Hughes long term health is known. It should also be noted that even the newer helmets which offer more protection may not of helped in this case.

It is important now to look only after the interests of Hughes, Abbott and the players who were on the field at the time. We have a week before the test begins, so hopefully a lot of things will become much clearer before then. In many ways it will be good for Australian cricket for the test to start as it will give more privacy to both Hughes and Abbott.

Playing a game of indoor many moons ago, my brother's mate was filling in for us.

He was fielding closish to the strike. Copped a full blooded slog in the throat. The ball wasn't new but had been lacquered and was rock hard.

My brother had to pull his tongue back out after he'd swallowed it.

I played years of indoor cricket. Bowling and batting was average. But I could field. The close position (whichever side the batsman was favouring) was my specialty. Catches and run outs aplenty. Full blooded cut/pull shorts did send me cowering, thankfully our league was good and the rare sloggable half trackers were often swatted straight to get max runs (or straight down so it wouldn't be caught off the net). There were a few close calls, but only once did I get hit hard above the shoulders.

Ball is softer, but with no helmets, it is quite dangerous when you think about how close you can be to the batter. Natural reaction when you sense a horizontal bat shot is to turn and duck, but you're probably leaving the back of your head open for a blow like Hughes. In hindsight, seems quite stupid. Luckily the one time I did get hit it was a mistimed cut shot, I didn't have time to react/turn and it caught me flush around the eye socket, which I learnt was designed quite nicely to protect your eye from a cricket ball. I was pretty lucky it didn't hit me somewhere worse.

Let's face it, there are some in the media that have to hand wring at every turn to justify their existence- their niche, if you will.

It's pathetic, but here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a sense it's the price we pay for a free and open media. I agree with the critical sentiment but it's a double edged sword, they wouldn't publish if it wasn't in the public interest/wouldn't sell papers. I wish they'd leave him alone too but facts are this is one of the bigger stories in the country this year, they're not going to leave it alone.

C'mon little mate you can get through this. I can't imagine how people that know him and have played cricket with him are feeling. Not to mention his family. I feel sick in the guts about this. Australia is behind you Hughesy. We all want you to be ok.

In a sense it's the price we pay for a free and open media. I agree with the critical sentiment but it's a double edged sword, they wouldn't publish if it wasn't in the public interest/wouldn't sell papers. I wish they'd leave him alone too but facts are this is one of the bigger stories in the country this year, they're not going to leave it alone.
Oh, they do it because that's what people demand these days.

Chicken and egg, and that's applicable in both directions.

Is he still in the ICU

This post will get you banned in PP
Can you stop with that "this post will get you banned" stuff, please?

Yes, he's still in ICU as far as we know. They said on Tuesday there wouldn't be any meaningful indication on how he's fairing until 48 hours in, and we're not at 48 hours yet.

Apologies if this is deemed bad taste, but Haddin has been through a lot with his daughter so maybe the fact that so soon after that a close mate is in grave danger it could mean that he has taken it quite hard (what we are all hoping anyway).

I think the whole CA set up is taking this hard. Hughesy was a well liked part of the set up and had many friends.

I think the whole CA set up is taking this hard. Hughesy was a well liked part of the set up and had many friends.
Anyone who loves cricket is taking this hard, you don't go out to bat and end up intensive car. That's not how the game we all love is meant to work.

What I don't understand, is that unless there's something in the contracts they sign with Cricket Australia or their state, who has given the medical staff the ok to disclose medical information about Hughes to the media / public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back