Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

After being touted as going at number one for so long, this morning at 6:00am it was discussed on radio that Petracca could drop to number two. Then there was talk he could actually go at pick three, sometime around 6:45am.

Now, based on this test data, I therefore estimate that by 7:00pm tonight, Petracca will drop to pick 31 and be available for the Hawks first selection.

Unfortunately, Echols will have gotten into the ears of the selectors and we'll go for Jack Lonie instead...

Last edited:
I can understand why St Kilda would be going after Mcartin but I personally wouldn't pass up on Petracca even if he is a little full of himself.

Can hear Rioli shouting "None shall pass!" (Maybe I've been watching too much of the Ring Trilogy actually....)
142209_hodge15.jpg

"NONE SHALL PASS!!"

Possibly another nicnat/watts scenario.

McCartin is likely to end up a very good player, no real knock on him from my point of view but I believe Petracca to be one of the better junior prospects I have seen.

Get him into a professional environment and he could be anything.

Wow, I'd take those 3 from Brett Anderson's Mock Draft in a heart beat! Lamb is versatile, Evan's is a bloody big unit and I'm on the Pat McKenna bandwagon.

Still hoping Dan McKenzie lasts to 31 but don't see it happening. Would also happily take Clem Smith with either one of 49-50. I don't mind where we're situated with this draft, picks wise. A lot of depth and opportunity to pick up legit AFL talent.

I've gone off Touk Miller though, I see him as TOO similar a player to Alex Woodward, rather a bigger body there - a Maynard, McKenzie, Blakely type. Or Reece McKenzie if available.

McCartin is likely to end up a very good player, no real knock on him from my point of view but I believe Petracca to be one of the better junior prospects I have seen.

Get him into a professional environment and he could be anything.

^this.

I mean, I understand the whole "junior level may not the AFL player make" thinking, but from what I understand, recruiters seem to believe that Pets is the one player that's head and shoulders over the rest as far as skill is concerned.

And McCartin is not exactly "full forward of the century" stuff, ala talk about Cameron/Boyd. I strongly believe that if there wasn't such a glut of middle-high quality mids in this draft compared to KPFs, we wouldn't even be talking about McCartin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^this.

I mean, I understand the whole "junior level may not the AFL player make" thinking, but from what I understand, recruiters seem to believe that Pets is the one player that's head and shoulders over the rest as far as skill is concerned.

And McCartin is not exactly "full forward of the century" stuff, ala talk about Cameron/Boyd. I strongly believe that if there wasn't such a glut of middle-high quality mids in this draft compared to KPFs, we wouldn't even be talking about McCartin.

The players that have caught my eye in recent years at the U/18 carnivals have been are Stephen Hill, Dustin Martin & Marcus Bontempelli, all before they were necessarily considered top 3 or 4 picks and for mine Petracca has all of them covered, and comfortably at that.

He has everything, size, strength, power and the marking ability of a Travis Cloke, averaged 25 disposals 16 of which were contested at TAC Cup level, the only small knocks are he is not an elite kick, but Fyfe Dangerfield and co are not elite kicks and his endurance will need to improve which I would think it will in an AFL environment.

At worst he is going to end up being a dominant half forward flanker, at best he is going to be a genuine A grade midfielder like Dangerfield, I'm thinking he will be the latter.

Hell Yeah. If Blakely is still up for grabs at 31 jump on him.

Would make my night if we got Blakely with pick 31. Would be loving life if we managed to get Reese McKenzie at 49 and Toby Mclean/Jack Lonie at 50! That would be my 3!

I remember I was so happy with our pick 38 last year though... how did that turn out :(

After being touted as going at number one for so long, this morning at 6:00am it was discussed on radio that Petracca could drop to number two. Then there was talk he could actually go at pick three, sometime around 6:45am.

Now, based on this test data, I therefore estimate that by 7:00pm tonight, Petracca will drop to pick 31 and be available for the Hawks first selection.

Unfortunately, Echols will have gotten into the ears of the selectors and we'll go for Jack Lonie instead...
stkilda if true to form will pick the wrong one and f..ck up there early picks....melbourne too

stkilda if true to form will pick the wrong one and f..ck up there early picks....melbourne too
Well in Melbourne's case, they will end up getting Brayshaw and Petracca and turn them into spuds with their pathetic player development system. Turn them into Scully, Trengove, Toumpus, Watts.

Have you seen that kids video LP?

Clunks everything. Massive unit.

I just had a look at the video, simply amazing.

Reads the flight so well, great hands, excellent body use, and best of all he has a straight follow through with his kicking action. He may be a bit of flat track bully against under bodied 18 year olds but he really is the best Roughy replacement/understudy we are likely to have a crack at with our perennial crap draft picks and certainly with a pick 31.

To my mind our most pressing needs are we need a second big forward now, a replacement for Roughy in 4 to 5 years, and true ruck/forward to replace Hale in the next few years (2-3). Of these the first two are the most urgent.

If he is still there at 31 we will have to have a brilliant alternative available to us not to take him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...basketball-dream/story-fnglemo4-1227124732882

At the AFL Draft Combine last month, McKenzie was one of the genuine standouts in testing. Of 101 players tested, he finished equal first in the clean hands test with a score of 26 out of 30 while ranking equal second in the 20m sprint (2.87sec) and equal-fifth in the standing vertical jump (72cm).

The clean hands test result was one that did not surprise Kennedy, who has described McKenzie as the best contested mark he has seen in the TAC Cup in a decade. But a 13.2 result in the critical beep test was a surprise, even for McKenzie himself.

I know these pieces are occasionally unsubstantiated puffery but the testing results are incontrovertible and most impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back