Opinion Draft preview (Thread closed, pls move discussion to new draft 'review' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
De Goey is a mid you can build a team around. I think he will have a better inside game and seems to burst from stoppages with great core strength. His kicking skills are also potentially more damaging, with an innate ability to weight his kicks perfectly to advantage. Add to this an impressive overhead mark and goal kick; he will be a voss-like beast.

I definitely see the comparison, but De Goey isn't as big a ball winner which is the key difference for mine.

Beams great strength has always been his ability to rack them up. I had a look over the 09 prospectus to gain a comparison between the two and Beams went at a possession every 3 mins and 7 seconds at the U18 champs. To put that in perspective that would have had him number 1 league wide at AFL level in 08...

I tend to look at De Goey more in the Sloane mould in that he will be a good solid in and out mid (I reckon De Goey's positional scope is the difference in how he and Sloane were rated at draft time comparatively).

Judging by Knightmare's recent comments on Rendell being in charge De Goey fits. His record with those combo mids early in the draft is quite strong, IMO, with Dangerfield, Sloane (Rendell had him very very high on his 08 draft board and would have taken him at 28 had Craig not overruled him), Kerridge and soon enough Broomhead, Freeman and De Goey.

For all we know Rendell and co may be playing us for fools, but a lot of the speculation makes sense to me!

Sen are saying that melbourne are still a chance at passing on petracca, apparently lever and picket are in the mix at there selection, were still a chance at petracca or a picket, melbourne have comitted to brayshaw it seems so hopefully we get a slider at 5

Sen are saying that melbourne are still a chance at passing on petracca, apparently lever and picket are in the mix at there selection, were still a chance at petracca or a picket, melbourne have comitted to brayshaw it seems so hopefully we get a slider at 5

Just KB, Greg Denham and talk back callers throwing around some ideas about how the draft could pan out. Not sure there is a lot of credibility in what they are saying. Mainly guesswork and pie in the sky stuff.

I'll stick with what Paul Roos said last night on 3AW and that was that McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw are a clear cut top 3 and that Dees would be happy to take a combination of 2 of those 3 at their first two picks. Pickett may still be a chance to slip to 5 (if GWS overlook him) but think the top 3 is locked in.

I definitely see the comparison, but De Goey isn't as big a ball winner which is the key difference for mine.

Beams great strength has always been his ability to rack them up. I had a look over the 09 prospectus to gain a comparison between the two and Beams went at a possession every 3 mins and 7 seconds at the U18 champs. To put that in perspective that would have had him number 1 league wide at AFL level in 08...

I tend to look at De Goey more in the Sloane mould in that he will be a good solid in and out mid (I reckon De Goey's positional scope is the difference in how he and Sloane were rated at draft time comparatively).

Judging by Knightmare's recent comments on Rendell being in charge De Goey fits. His record with those combo mids early in the draft is quite strong, IMO, with Dangerfield, Sloane (Rendell had him very very high on his 08 draft board and would have taken him at 28 had Craig not overruled him), Kerridge and soon enough Broomhead, Freeman and De Goey.

For all we know Rendell and co may be playing us for fools, but a lot of the speculation makes sense to me!

Okay De Goey is not as Natural Ball Winner as Beams but that is something that Hard Work can Fix

To be honest I'm not fussed who is picked at 5.

We have already locked up a top 5 player in Moore, and will add a similar top 5 pick tonight which augurs well for the future. I back our resources and development team to turn these players into 200 game players at an elite level.

Add to that the plethora of talent across our list and we will be in good shape post tonights draft regardless of whose name is called out

To be honest I'm not fussed who is picked at 5.

We have already locked up a top 5 player in Moore, and will add a similar top 5 pick tonight which augurs well for the future. I back our resources and development team to turn these players into 200 game players at an elite level.

Add to that the plethora of talent across our list and we will be in good shape post tonights draft regardless of whose name is called out

Only one season but jury is still out on backing our resources to make 200 gamers of Freeman/Scharenberg.

Only one season but jury is still out on backing our resources to make 200 gamers of Freeman/Scharenberg.

Will be terrific players for us. You can tell Hine is still very excited about both of them.

5. Pickett
9. Moore
30. Blakely
48. McKenzie
75. Cavka

Not too much to ask ? Please come early Saint Nick

That would be an incredible result addressing a lot of needs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay De Goey is not as Natural Ball Winner as Beams but that is something that Hard Work can Fix

Maybe it can't. If its just his tank that is missing then yeah he can improve his numbers. But if he naturally does not have the football brain to read the play well enough to win lots of ball then it doesn't matter how hard he works he won't get better. There is a difference between a football brain that is a good decision maker once you have it and a football brain that gets you lots of possessions.

There were 2 players for Oakleigh Chargers (apart from Moore) who stood out to me as being genuine AFL class footballers in the TAC GF and they were De Goey and McKenzie.

I have no problem with De Goey if that's who we go for.

Beams was also an overager playing in division two though wasn't he?

Beams was div 2 (QLD) but only of draft age and not an overager. I suspect you might be getting that confused because Sidebottom was drafted a year early due to the rule at the time that allowed clubs to take guys born in the first four months of the following year.

Maybe it can't. If its just his tank that is missing then yeah he can improve his numbers. But if he naturally does not have the football brain to read the play well enough to win lots of ball then it doesn't matter how hard he works he won't get better. There is a difference between a football brain that is a good decision maker once you have it and a football brain that gets you lots of possessions.
Perhaps look at his highlights video. Yes, it's a highlights video but he reads the tap from Wright perfectly on 3 or 4 occasions, scoops the ball up and clears the area either via run, handball or a kick forward. I believe he'll be able to find it. If not, a player that can kick a goal or 2 and average high teens is a very dangerous player. Playing forward is more difficult to get larger disposals numbers and De Goey forward alot, presumable due to lack of fitness from no pre-season and/or because he was so dangerous forward.

My Guess:

5: De Goey
30: Maynard
45: Lonie/Langdon
75: Waylan Manson

I know we've interviewed Manson but it would be incredibly surprising if we picked him. Even as a rookie.

I love Manson's talent but personally I'd be more inclined to sign him to the Collingwood VFL team than the AFL team. Just to give him that year to develop in our environment and see how good he can become.

Beams was div 2 (QLD) but only of draft age and not an overager. I suspect you might be getting that confused because Sidebottom was drafted a year early due to the rule at the time that allowed clubs to take guys born in the first four months of the following year.
Nah KM. Beams was an overager. That draft year went from 01/05/90 to 30/4/91. Steele born Early '91, Beams was 02/90.

I know we've interviewed Manson but it would be incredibly surprising if we picked him. Even as a rookie.

I love Manson's talent but personally I'd be more inclined to sign him to the Collingwood VFL team than the AFL team. Just to give him that year to develop in our environment and see how good he can become.

Would be a Surprise but I just Threw his name out there

Beams and the other "Ball Magnets" don't get it from just having running ability. Blokes like Mitchell and Jones and Watson and Beams are ok runners but they just know where the balls going ahead of time. Swanny does too. Ball magnets can't be made, you know them by the time you draft them.

Beams and the other "Ball Magnets" don't get it from just having running ability. Blokes like Mitchell and Jones and Watson and Beams are ok runners but they just know where the balls going ahead of time. Swanny does too. Ball magnets can't be made, you know them by the time you draft them.

Well I saw in De Goey Highlights how he read the Ball well off the Ruckman and got to the Right Spot. That is shows that he has potential to become a better Ball Winner.

Also not playing Permanently in the Midfield would make his numbers lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back