Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand, is that unless there's something in the contracts they sign with Cricket Australia or their state, who has given the medical staff the ok to disclose medical information about Hughes to the media / public?
I suspect it's a concession that limited disclosure is better than nothing because total radio silence, particularly in these days of the 24 hour news cycle, will just lead to speculation growing out of control. Way more so than it has so far.

I don't think there's been much sensitive information being given really. "No change" is hardly chapter and verse from his medical notes and I'm sure CA wouldn't act without approval from his kin.

That is what I think. His family would have to OK anything that is released and I'm sure they recognise that the cricket public are only interested because we care (not in the same way as family and friends but we still care) therefore they would agree to updates once in a while. There is possibly other information that has not been released to the public (which is as it should be).

I challenge the argument that the press only carry out their intrusive behavior because the public wants it. That may be the case for salacious gossip but in grave circumstances such as this the majority of people do not want to see intrusive reporting.

I am really hoping we hear something positive today.

Last edited:

That is what I think. His family would have to OK anything that is released and I 'm sure they recognise that the cricket public are only interested because we care (not in the same way as family and friends but we still care) therefore they would agree to updates once in a while. There is possibly other information that has not been released to the public (which is as it should be).

I challenge the argument that the press only carry out their intrusive behavior because the public wants it. That may be the case for salacious gossip but in grave circumstances such as this the majority of people do not want to see intrusive reporting.

I am really hoping we hear something positive today.
Not so much people wanting salacious gossip in these cases, but the argument that people's desire for up to the minute constant drip feed of information is a contributing factor does hold water, in my view.

I a lot of Thommo and he was frightening but I think one of the scariest spells I've ever seen was Devon Malcolm late in the day to Michael Slater in England. Slater was jumping all over the place. It was enthralling, I was sweating watching it.

Iirc, when Michael Holding was playing for Tassie it was so dangerous they either abandoned play for the day, Holding refused to bowl anymore or he used a reduced run up. Can't remember which one. The pitch was treacherous and he was bowling quick!

I was also at this match, the 6th Test at The Oval 1993. Slater looked genuinely scared & Mark Taylor has since said it was the fastest spell of bowling he ever faced. As you said it was brilliant to watch.

Get well Phil.

I lived for a number of years in pre-Leveson Britain. We should be thankful that the insane tabloid culture over there hasn't found it's way here, you probably would have had a Sun journos trying to get pictures of Hughes on ICU.
When I first heard what had happened to Phil Hughes, it was on the 3.00pm news on Channel 9 here in Sydney.

It was from their news helicopter, which was showing aerial pictures of what was occurring.

Leeches.

Last edited:
I don't know Phil personally but feel like I know him after seeing him play so many times for Australia in both tests & ODIs. I am absolutely shattered by seeing the plight he currently is in, you can't even imagine the grief his family & friends are going through at this time.
My hopes & prayers are with both him & poor Sean Abbott who must be absolutely distraught right now.
God knows how the Australian cricket team are going to prepare for a test match with all of this emotion & uncertainty surrounding them. They are professional cricketers but they are also human beings. I think the first test should be postponed.

I don't like the sound of the language being used in the media. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

I really hope for a positive outcome.

Wouldn't worry what language the media use.Only the medical peoples language should you take notice of.

I hope this doesn't sound cold, but it would help nobody if they postponed then Test, it's not going to help Phil Hughes get better and might give the players a chance to get their minds off this and return, as best they can, to doing what they do best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. I wonder how the team feels about it though. If they just can't stomach playing if Hughes is still in his current state or worse.

It's like any other incident of this type - you just need to get on with it. There are other sports where this type of thing is much more common (motor racing, for example) - unfortunately, as sad as it is, we just need to struggle forward.

How are the South Australian Players going with all this, hearing a lot in the news about the NSW players,meeting and counselling they are recieving, but South Australia don't seem to be talked about at all, did they remain in NSW?

It's like any other incident of this type - you just need to get on with it. There are other sports where this type of thing is much more common (motor racing, for example) - unfortunately, as sad as it is, we just need to struggle forward.

I completely agree. I don't see CA calling the test off unless the whole team says they won't play.

What would change for the players between the gabba and adelaide?(starts a few days after the gabba test)

The players aren't going to just shake this off at any point this summer so either play the whole series or cancel the whole series.

Im also not meaning that to be cold i just really don't understand how those few extra days will make this right? This is going to leave deep scars so canceling the gabba would be more of a symbolic gesture than a genuine attempt to help the players get right mentally.

How are the South Australian Players going with all this, hearing a lot in the news about the NSW players,meeting and counselling they are recieving, but South Australia don't seem to be talked about at all, did they remain in NSW?
They came home the next day. Bradshaw from SACA said it was felt they would be better off near their own families get support. Tim Nielsen is still there I believe.

They have returned to SA now and they were also offered counselling I believe.

I think it would be OK to go ahead with the First Test but it would depend on the players. Maybe they need to wait a few more days before making a decision.

They went back to SA yesterday as it was felt being with their own families was important at this time, zampa stayed as he has family in sydney.

from what i watched on foxsports they are all being offered counseling.

The Redbacks players returned to SA yesterday. Club thought it best that they were all with their families.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...o-phillip-hughes/story-fndpt0dy-1227136611465

this is a tragedy, no doubt, but to suggest that we should cancel the first test of the summer is pretty ridiculous IMO

unless - the unthinkable happens which we all hope and pray doesn't happen

I disagree. Its way too easy to say that the show must go on. A cancellation would show the gravity that this incident has. It has effected every cricket lover in this country in very deep ways I would imagine. This could have happened to any player, and its someone's brother, son, etc etc. I would fully support the test being cancelled. I don't think I will ever see cricket the same way again should the worst happen.

I disagree. Its way too easy to say that the show must go on. A cancellation would show the gravity that this incident has. It has effected every cricket lover in this country in very deep ways I would imagine. This could have happened to any player, and its someone's brother, son, etc etc. I would fully support the test being cancelled. I don't think I will ever see cricket the same way again should the worst happen.

one may draw parallels with ted whittens death. games continued. but every incident and event is different.

i think the first test must go on. it's what phil would want.

one may draw parallels with ted whittens death. games continued. but every incident and event is different.

i think the first test must go on. it's what phil would want.

Ted died of Cancer and it was expected for some time. This is completely different IMO. Philip left home for the day in full health and may never come back because of an incident in the field of play. Its just so shocking and hurtful I think its in its own catergory. I don't say the test should be cancelled just that I will support the decision if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back