The Scourge of Right-Side Walking!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think keeping left or right is an issue really. But there is some etiquette that seems to be ignored by the dense among us and it irks me a bit sometimes. They all revolve around not having any real awareness of other people. Things like:

- People walking several abreast, taking up a whole path and walking very slowly.
- Stopping to chat in doorways, tops of stairs and other stupid places.

Don't know if it deserves an article in the papaer though. BigFooty thread? For sure! ;-)
So much this! I used to regularly walk across a narrow bridge with mates, and there was always some group of people coming the other way 4 or 5 abreast, filling the entire width of the bridge. We pioneered a "flying V" approach, where the biggest guy was in the middle, and we assumed "Mighty Duck" formation behind, and started taking joy out of splitting these groups down the middle.

I think I might be part of the problem :(

Melbourne is a great city for walking. Even if you're answering a text or not looking, you'll barely walk into anyone.

Perth is bedlam, just people blocking and walking all over the place.

Sydney is the absolute pits though. Perth is a car city but Sydney is simply just not a city for walkers. Even the green mans only last about four seconds and take a good two minutes to return to green.

The only real convention about public etiquette we have here is on the escalators. Especially in the metro stations. Everyone who is just standing on the escalator must stand on the right and leave space for people to walk up on the left. You can normally spot a deadhead foreigner tourist, because they are the ones just spread eagled all over the place and miffed when you say "Perdon" so you can walk past them. Seriously, you don't see all the other people over to the right? What makes you special you moron?

I really do want to get one of those small bicycle bells to carry in my pocket when I am walking around here, especially in summer. Just walk up behind them and ring the bell and people naturally move over because they think it is a bike. It's genius I tells ya.

Asia is a confusing place to walk, it's just anything goes, kind of like their roads.
Crossing the road etiquette in Asia is a whole study of its own.

Walk steadily, don't slow down or speed up, and they'll go around you.

I often get annoyed at people who don't keep tot he left side of escalators - if you want to lazy fine, don't block other people who aren't.

Not a fan of the 5 people in a row walking slowly blocking a whole footpath either. Let people past you bastards.
People who congregate on a footpath outside a restaurant/bar/cafe and block the entire damned thing rather annoy me. It's not hard to leave space.

Certainly I feel if you're going up and down stairs you should stick to the left side. Other than that, with wide spaces I don't really care.

Spot on.

I often get annoyed at people who don't keep tot he left side of escalators - if you want to lazy fine, don't block other people who aren't.

Not a fan of the 5 people in a row walking slowly blocking a whole footpath either. Let people past you bastards.
I think the active obstruction thing is an example of something to be a little annoyed about.

I can understand train station escalators, but whining about people on shopping centre escalators is a bit much. "I must rush to give my money to a retail conglomerate and you are hindering me by seconds, if not a full minute!"

I love scaring the s**t out of people on my bike. Hilarious watching them jolt when I ring my bell.

My favourite is when two people are walking in both lanes... ring the bell and they crossover one another to get in the other lane. Always Asian girls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's to be expected because of the time of year but wow some people are impatient. I know there is escalator etiquette and all but it's a little hard to move for people behind me when hte people in front don't budge. One person behind me decided to just barrel his way through everyone (either cutting through the left side, right side, or straight in between two people who were hogging both the left and right sides).

I lost it and swore REALLY loudly at him - shocking the others who were behind me that were also about to push their way past as well... they decided against it once they saw my reaction after the first person had done it.

I admit I probably looked like a raving nutcase, but in my defence I was startled by the person who barged through (at first I had no clue what his intention was.... I assumed he was trying to be a pick pocket thief).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back