List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally agree. Laverde looks like a gun. I could see a future half back line of Laverde, Sutcliffe and A.Pearce dominating. Both mine and JMT's hopes for today are either one of De Goey, Lever or Laverde. The order of preference is 1.Laverde, 2. Lever and 3. De Goey. Mitch Mcgovern is my hope for the second pick.
I think that we need some more midfield class and Laverde would give us exactly that. Even if he doesn't manage to become the 30 touch per game player we want, his immense disposal will make his 20 touches per game exactly what we need. Also his height and marking ability will surely make him a serviceable forward who could kick a few goals and then he could swap with Fyfe into the Midfield.

I would be happy if we walked away with a KPF and KPD as our first two picks from the draft. Not sure who we would target with our third round pick. Maybe a small defender. We would be pretty well stocked full with KPP for the future then and also with next years draft supposedly pretty light on for KPP we could go for a good mid.

Also I haven't seen any footage of McGovern as yet. is there any???
I'm thinking Lever then Mckenzie

I am starting to think that we picked up Apeness last year because we knew there would be a bunch of key defenders available this year, so we have consecutive first round KPPs, one a KPF and one a KPD

If we take a tall in round 1 I certainly dont want us to take a tall in round 2. IMHO we need to start looking at pace, especially with the loss of Simpson, or ball handling. Mid or half back with round 2 for me please.

What I would like to happen - realistically

Rnd 1 - Jake Lever
Rnd 2 - Reece McKenzie
Rnd 3 - Clem Smith
Rnd 4 - Caleb Daniel

What will happen

Rnd 1 - Horatio Kneebone-Grasshopper
Rnd 2 - Napoleon Komplecks
Rnd 3 - Oleg Neverherdov
Rnd 4 - Bilbo Baggins

I'd say predicting the 10-12 year best player is the goal though, and these guys do it for a job.
eg Apeness, If he was best 22 from 2016/17 onwards for 8ish years you'd be very happy.
I'm not disagreeing with you. My original point is that we seem to fall behind quite considerably in selecting first round players that get games in their draft year which says to me that we are under-achieving with our selection and having really rotten luck.
If we select a midfielder that player needs to contribute, we don't have TIME to wait with our aging core.

If Laverde slips past the Eagles we would be silly not to take him.

I agee. Freo do need key backs as long as they are quality. If the really good ones are already taken there is no point reaching for a KPP who may not make it. I'd rather Freo pick up Laverde etc if available who could be a really good mid/hbf. In a few years Dufield and Spurr will be retired or not far off. There is almost as much of a need for us to recruit for these positions too. Freo may find a KPP in the second round. The game is becomming so fast that mids can play hbf and back pocket instead of traditional back pocket type players. Provides more flexability for mid rotations too.

I agee. Freo do need key backs as long as they are quality. If the really good ones are already taken there is no point reaching for a KPP who may not make it. I'd rather Freo pick up Laverde etc if available who could be a really good mid/hbf. In a few years Dufield and Spurr will be retired or not far off. There is almost as much of a need for us to recruit for these positions too. Freo may find a KPP in the second round. The game is becomming so fast that mids can play hbf and back pocket instead of traditional back pocket type players. Provides more flexability for mid rotations too.
Yeah although I have my heart set on Lever I am totally expecting us to take someone else now that I am so set on him. If Laverde is there then I would not be surprised one bit to see us grab him. He definitely seems like the type of player that we would target with his versatility to play in numerous positions. He would also be a very exciting prospect and would not be a all unhappy if he was in Purple next year. The only thing I would worry about with him is the go home factor as he just looks like a bit of a pretty boy. Where as Lever seems to have a really good head on his shoulders.

I totally agree. Laverde looks like a gun. I could see a future half back line of Laverde, Sutcliffe and A.Pearce dominating. Both mine and JMT's hopes for today are either one of De Goey, Lever or Laverde. The order of preference is 1.Laverde, 2. Lever and 3. De Goey. Mitch Mcgovern is my hope for the second pick.

I agree as we have already had a chat over an ice coffee at work with Laverde but maybe McGovern would be around at our 3rd pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we take a tall in round 1 I certainly dont want us to take a tall in round 2. IMHO we need to start looking at pace, especially with the loss of Simpson, or ball handling. Mid or half back with round 2 for me please.

Yeah we simply wont be able to give them WAFL time anyway. Peel were handicapped last year by having to play so many tall players.

Hannath, Griffin, Moller
Silvangni, Smith, A.Pearce, Vandaleur + Bootsma (Peel)
Apeness

Realisitically Moller will probably play ressies, and Silvangi might be emergency/AFL more often than not. But that's still way to tall if we pick up 2 more guys. Peel certainly have room for another KPF (although a ruck will probably rest there). But unless it's a gun KPD, where do you put him?

Yeah although I have my heart set on Lever I am totally expecting us to take someone else now that I am so set on him. If Laverde is there then I would not be surprised one bit to see us grab him. He definitely seems like the type of player that we would target with his versatility to play in numerous positions. He would also be a very exciting prospect and would not be a all unhappy if he was in Purple next year. The only thing I would worry about with him is the go home factor as he just looks like a bit of a pretty boy. Where as Lever seems to have a really good head on his shoulders.

Yes the problem with so many good vic players but it's the Freo culture that will hopefully make these young me want to stay.

One thing I know for sure from watching many previous drafts is, no one knows for sure what is going to happen and heaps of media people make up absolute s**t to get their name in the mix leading up to the draft.

There are always surprises. We never generally get who we expect we will and it all repeats again in a year.

Just enjoy the ride.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back