Remove this Banner Ad

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
On the eve of the 2014 AFL draft, Gold Coast Suns List & Strategy Manager Scott Clayton said this year’s edition of the draft is the most even in the game’s history.

Since its inception in 1986, the draft has thrown up plenty of surprises and Clayton believes due to the evenness of this year’s crop there is set to be a few eyebrows raised on Thursday night.

“I reckon it’s really, really even. I’m excited by it, but it is very even,” Clayton told SUNS TV on Wednesday.

“That’s sort of borne out by the fact that some clubs would like to trade back, they’d rather have two picks in the first round instead of one and move back to get it.

“It is a very even bunch and I’m actually expecting some surprises on draft night.”

The SUNS recruiting team has tracked this year’s potential draftees for two to three years, with some players emerging in the under-16 national championships in 2012.

Clayton revealed his recruiting team has watched each potential recruit more than 20 times each, as well as conducting a handful of different assessment methods to determine the quality of this year’s draft crop.

“Players that we’re evaluating we’ve seen perhaps 20 to 25 times live,” Clayton said.

“We’ve met parents, we’ve interviewed, we’ve done countless reference checks, we’ve been to a lot of testing, we’ve done psychological profiling, we’ve had just hundreds of flights around Australia to do so.

“We’ve got so much information, people would be surprised.”

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A thought just crossed me about how Clayton once talked about stockpiling talls for currency. Guess the selection does make some good sense.

Makes sence in a way.. But could force Day onto the scrap heap..!
He wouldn't wouldnt carry all that much currency 3 good games a season don't add up to a top 3 pick :(

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He wouldn't wouldnt carry all that much currency 3 good games a season don't add up to a top 3 pick :(
More likely Gorringe will be the one under the pump. Daysie has better skills, mobility and the ability to play down back, which Gorringe doesn't. We are still a couple of years away from seeing the best of what Sam can do. Also Sammy has never indicated he has wanted to leave, Gorringe has already tried to leave.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
FYI, a couple of sources I know would take Wright at 4 or 5 if they had picks there. Seems to mirror what Sheehan said.

One also really ranked Cockatoo and would have no issue taking him top 10 despite the limited football this year. If we can get both I'd be very happy!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll wait to see if that is ever actually an issue. At no point in time have we had a full roster of talls to select from. Rucks especially, where Wright can play.

We have plenty of mid depth. Tall depth we do not.
I'd argue we have plenty of potential depth but not proven depth. KPDs and small forwards / defenders we need most. Getting Wright gives us the option of playing Sammy down back to cover for Maysie and Rory. And you're right Sunny our talls are always injured. One tall, small and mid would be a good return from this draft.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Finished at the back of the pack in the last 2km time trial, I have always been a supporter of Day but he has to have a break out year and trailing the pack isn't the way to do it.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lacking KPP
Schade's a spud
Leslie was random out of nowhere.. Should of been a 4th round pick not a 2nd..
1 season in cant bag him to much..
But Theres a chance he might not make it at AFL level.. Not our fault Clayton picks idiot KPP
Just pick Duggan he is a sure thing.. No one will complain
Wright will be a good player.. But just not what i want the Suns to chase this year

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Lacking KPP
Schade's a spud
Leslie was random out of nowhere.. Should of been a 4th round pick not a 2nd..
1 season in cant bag him to much..
But Theres a chance he might not make it at AFL level.. Not our fault Clayton picks idiot KPP
Just pick Duggan he is a sure thing.. No one will complain

I would not write off Schade yet. He is a decent player just lacking a little muscle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Strange he says they've narrowed their list of potential elite recruits down to just 10 and he guarantees we'll get 3 from that. How can you guarantee they won't be gone before #29? Sounds like we're recruiting on a needs basis rather than best available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back