Opinion Draft preview (Thread closed, pls move discussion to new draft 'review' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah KM. Beams was an overager. That draft year went from 01/05/90 to 30/4/91. Steele born Early '91, Beams was 02/90.

The 1991 boys were eligible for the 2009 draft.
See Tom Scully, Dustin Martin etc.

Sidebottom went in the 2008 draft because he was born in those first 4 months and the rules at the time were different.

The 1991 boys were eligible for the 2009 draft.
See Tom Scully, Dustin Martin etc.

Sidebottom went in the 2008 draft because he was born in those first 4 months and the rules at the time were different.
That's correct, but the term 'overager' did apply to Beams at the time because he was older then the proposed year being May '90 to April '91.

There were 2 players for Oakleigh Chargers (apart from Moore) who stood out to me as being genuine AFL class footballers in the TAC GF and they were De Goey and McKenzie.

I have no problem with De Goey if that's who we go for.
Any chance we end up with De Goey (5), Moore (9), McKenzie (30) and Toby McLean (45)

Any chance we end up with De Goey (5), Moore (9), McKenzie (30) and Toby McLean (45)

Definitely think it is a chance, we have been linked to McKenzie & McLean at our later picks. The real sticking point here is that McKenzie may be gone by our pick 30 selection, McLean in most phantom drafts seems to be sitting between 30 and 48 so there'd be a question as to whether he's there at 48.

However if McKenzie and McLean are available at 30 and 48 respectively I wouldn't be surprised if the Pies went with the four of them to create a Chargers posse at the club.

The Oakleigh four.

Recent word is D.McKenzie goes before 30 with North Melbourne red hot on him. Then Toby McLean may/may not be available at 48.

Is it at all possible that we rate De Goey and Laverde so closely that we plan to take the former with a view to take someone more like Laverde in next years draft? You'd have to hope there are some real good ones likely to be available in the first 15 picks.

Just on the Beams overager stuff 08 was his second draft eligible year, but he wasn't someone you would consider an overager. Top age is probably what I would use to describe his age at the 08 draft.

Traditionally an overager is someone entering their 3rd year in the under age competitions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But playing u18 in that second year is overage though right?

I chucked a ninja edit in which you beat, but to answer I would say no. The key difference between now and then is that a bottom age player could be drafted after 1 season of underage footy which can't happen these days.

Playing that second year of 18's leaves him a top age player not overager.

Guys like Elliott, Langdon, Witts and Goldsack were eligible for 3 years of 18's footy and would be considered overagers.

The best way to break it down from my perspective is as follows:

Travis Cloke (DOB 5/3/1987) drafted in 04 therefore eligible for 1 season of U18 football = bottom ager

Dale Thomas (DOB 21/6/1987) drafted in 05 therefore eligible for 2 seasons of U18 football = top ager

Tyson Goldsack (DOB 22/5/1987) drafted in 06 therefore eligible for 3 seasons of U18 football = over ager

So 3 guys born within 3 months of each other, all taken out of the TAC cup and in 3 different drafts. I hope that clarifies things :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Beams and the other "Ball Magnets" don't get it from just having running ability. Blokes like Mitchell and Jones and Watson and Beams are ok runners but they just know where the balls going ahead of time. Swanny does too. Ball magnets can't be made, you know them by the time you draft them.

You can improve your ball finding ability and improving your endurance to make more contests is certainly one way.

Dale Thomas lifted his numbers from TAC to AFL as an example.

Read somewhere De goey missed preseason due to injury so there is upside in that alone.

Cal Twomey just said that Nak Cockatoo has been flown to the Gold Coast. Some late mail that he will be taken at pick 10.

Cockatoo looks like a shot for Geelong at 10 is the mail.

I think it's necessary. I don't want Sydney getting Callum Mills for pick 18 as they did with Isaac Heeney this year. It's ridiculous when he's the best in next years draft class.

I'd only apply the change to the academy system specifically though because it is only those QLD and NSW clubs and the advantage of that system is absolutely monstrous.

With Ben Keays next year like Mills and Heeney another absolute monster with Keays a Dayne Beams quality mid/fwd, perhaps better.

KnightmareI think it's necessary. I don't want Sydney getting Callum Mills for pick 18 as they did with Isaac Heeney this year. It's ridiculous when he's the best in next years draft class. I'd only apply the change to the academy system specifically though because it is only those QLD and NSW clubs and the advantage of that system is absolutely monstrous. With Ben Keays next year like Mills and Heeney another absolute monster with Keays a Dayne Beams quality mid/fwd said:
Agree about Heeny but we should not of cough up for Moore for a 4 Pick Difference in Bid and Picked Used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back