List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Not getting much support. I was basing it on a David King article, along with what I saw last year. And to be honest I can't see Goddard sliding that far anyway.

Im still on board with you.

My top 4 choices would be Lever, Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank. But i dont see any of them being there at 16, will be VERY interesting if any are.

So accepting of the fact now it looks like a mid with 16.

25/36 hopefully we look at a KPD be it McDonald, Keitel, Neilson.

If Goddard is there at our pick as Emma Quayle predicts surely we would have to consider him
I was thinking the same with Durdin too. If either of these two are available, do we go for the next best mid with our pick 25, and forget about O Mac.
Id still love to snare one of those mids too...

Spot on. Some size helps but it's balance and footy smarts as much as anything. Grima and Thompson are better at reading position within a contest and spoiling than Hansen who has a size and reach advantage on both.

On the topic of investing in KPDs..

Brian Lake - late pick
Heath Grundy - rookie(?)
Harry Taylor - 1st rounder (circa #19) as mature age
Tom Longergan - 2nd rounder(?)
Josh Gizbson - rookie
Ted Richards - 2nd rounder(?)

They're some of the key defenders in recent flags iirc.

Hardly a roll-call of high value draft picks. You can stock this area later in drafts or rookie drafts.

Use high value picks on the blokes who will win you games, not save them.
Its just as easy though, to compile a list of top KPDs that ARE early picks.
Hurley
Carlisle
Talia x 2
Rance
etc...
I understand the point, but for every argument one way, you can find points the other way!

The random sampling of Player X at Pick N is ignoring the fact that A It is a Team
and B It is a backline, Gibson is a bloody good player unfortunately but turn around and he is looking at Hodge etc
All the guys in the backline need to be quality
Tarrant has played 39 games in 5 yrs!@!
Tippett cldnt get a game in GC backline!
Maybe they will come good but Maybe they wont

A CHB please, once there was bloke called Ross Glendinning
held the backline together for 10 years

The random sampling of Player X at Pick N is ignoring the fact that A It is a Team
and B It is a backline, Gibson is a bloody good player unfortunately but turn around and he is looking at Hodge etc
All the guys in the backline need to be quality
Tarrant has played 39 games in 5 yrs!@!
Tippett cldnt get a game in GC backline!
Maybe they will come good but Maybe they wont

A CHB please, once there was bloke called Ross Glendinning
held the backline together for 10 years
Same rule applies when drafting a player.

Tippett then vs Tippett now is an entirely different story.

cannot fault your optimism Brett33

Tippett is 26 and has played FOUR afl games
Your view that he will now rise to afl standard and hold down a key position well it seems like the Triumph of Hope over Experience
I actually think he is quite OK but the Footy Gods look like offering up a potential Gun backman and I mean Lever or Goddard

cannot fault your optimism Brett33

Tippett is 26 and has played FOUR afl games
Your view that he will now rise to afl standard and hold down a key position well it seems like the Triumph of Hope over Experience
I actually think he is quite OK but the Footy Gods look like offering up a potential Gun backman and I mean Lever or Goddard
If Lever was available I would pounce. Goddard I would not.

I think he is AFL standard. The games he played proved as much. He was the best defender in the SANFL, had a great combine, and earned a call up to our squad. You don't win a place in the team that finished top 4 without having some quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Pelchans take:

North Melbourne
Draft selections: 16, 25, 36.
Needs: Key forward, key defender and outside SPEED .

North Melbourne is a team on the rise. The Kangaroos showed in 2014 that they were coming, and this draft has them well positioned to build on their current STOCKS . The patient but strategic development of the Kangaroos’ player list has been outstanding with deserved credit to list manager Cameron Joyce and recruiting manager Bryce Lewis, who have avoided the quick-fix temptations often enticing clubs. Three selections inside pick No.36 for a team that won two finals this year is a wonderful platform to continue their progress – with Caleb Marchbank, Lachie Weller, Nakia Cockatoo and Kyle Langford in the mix.

If Lever was available I would pounce. Goddard I would not
We agree in principal then.

Can't see either Lever or Goddard falling for us, but they would be the only KPDs I would chose.

We need classy mids, preferably quick ones. Fortunately it looks as though there will be a number to choose from around our pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back