Strategy PICK 5 - WHO WOULD YOU PICK NOW? (Its done! Thread closed, pls post on the 'welcome' thread)

A weeks to go. Who would you pick now?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm increasingly comfortable in selecting De Goey at pick 5.

I actually prefer him to the smaller Pickett who I've never felt comfortable using a top 5 selection on.

Great highlights but pick 5 for a small forward come midfielder seems very high.

Hell even Rioli went at 13.

I pretty sure at this stage he's more of a midfielder/

I normally tune out when I hear Terry Wallace speak, but he was just on SEN with Harford and it was quite an interesting conversation. He went through the top 10 picks of the last 10 years and catergorised them into player types and their relative success rates. I think he called them inside mids/ball winners, Ruckmen, Key Position players and Outside Mids/Flankers.

Obviously it is only his opinion as to who was a success or a bust, but the biggest success rate by a long way was players who were Inside Mids. Those who can win their own footy. Perhaps not even the most brilliant players, but ball winners. Footballers first and foremost. Based on his judgements of the player types, these players had a success rate of 85%. Ruckmen, KPP's and outside players were all in the 30-40% range.

It might not sound like rocket science, but it made sense. I wonder if this is one factor in why we might prefer a DeGoey type rather than a Laverde? I don't know much about the particular players myself. Is De Goey a better ball winner? A more hard-nosed footballer?

De Goey has average disposal aswell i heard

Well from what I've heard he is a great kick.

Knightmeres description of his footskills on his phantom draft.
Footskills – De Goey by foot is a very damaging kick as a capable playmaker and finisher. He kicks it out in front of targets and hits his targets by foot consistently inside the forward 50. Has a good 55m kick. He can finish from anywhere within 55m and concert from his set shot opportunities. He has excellent vision and is very unselfish, constantly looking for options in better position inside 50 for easier shots at goal. He also consistently makes good decisions with the footy, taking his time with his touches and showing real class with each touch. Given this he is someone you want the ball in the hands of as often as possible.

De Goey actually reminds me of Daisy. Looks a better kick than Daisy and has a little less x-factor than Daisy.
Hopefully he has more of a spine & a nutsack.

Just listening to Hine now, He said something along the lines of picking Moore allows us to address the midfield at pick 5.

Clearly comprehension is not one of your strong points:

1 My agenda? I have no agenda but I do have an opinion. I'm sure you also have one. there is a difference and in my opinion after having watched de Goey I conclude that he is not a good pick at 5. In your opinion you disagree. that's how English works.
2 I never stated that Hine has not done well with his N01 draft picks. They are your words. I stated that he is not infallible. I think that if he picks de Goey he would be making a mistake. Am I right or wrong. we don't yet know.

So you ask me to stop posting because you disagree with my opinion? You are embarrassing yourself.
Firstly, I dont neccessarily agree or disagree with de Goey at 5. He's not my preferred player, but I can only go by highlights, unlike our recruiters who have watched these kids closely all year. I'll defer to their expertise. If you think de Goey is a crap choice, that's fine. You're welcome to your opinion.

Saying that Hine is not infallible, and then rattling off a handful of failed late picks/rookies to suit your argument though, is a load of crap, and a deceptive to do in the context of the discussion, which is who we should take at 5.

No recruiter in the history of the draft has a perfect record for every pick, so it's just dumb to name failed late picks as examples to support your argument. Compare apples with apples.

What's Hine's record like with top 10 picks? I'd argue it's one of the best around, and I have no reason to believe that he will suddenly stuff it up this year.

And maybe you're the one who should get some reading comprehension champ. I didn't tell you to stop posting, I told you to stop posting misleading info to support your argument. It's a nasty habit you seem to have displayed in your limited posts in this board.

lol if Petracca was still on the board at 5- I think the football world would go into meltdown.

Having said that, I've got no idea this year, throw a blanket over all of them.

Hopefully Hine nets us the star that we are craving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be happy with any of Pickett, Laverde and De Goey
This is my approach too, if we take any of these 3 I won't be complaining at all.

Any latest updates, or is it still De Goey as favourite for pick 5?

This is my approach too, if we take any of these 3 I won't be complaining at all.

Any latest updates, or is it still De Goey as favourite for pick 5?

Still De Goey.

I be happy with any of De Goey,Pickett or Laverdae

Just listening to Hine now, He said something along the lines of picking Moore allows us to address the midfield at pick 5.
Did Hine give anything anyway? I was trying to watch the preview show and my phone battery died. Is there any way i can somehow access what he said?

Did Hine give anything anyway? I was trying to watch the preview show and my phone battery died. Is there any way i can somehow access what he said?

You never get anything from Hine before he it comes Offical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back