Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.I.P Phillip, life is so scary, guy is the same age as me and boom freak accident and he is gone :(

I'm not even sure the next round of Shield games (due to start on Friday week) can go ahead, let alone the Test match. How the hell can the SA boys in particular play in such horrifying circumstances?

No word on any of that yet, we'll hear something in the next 24 hours. I have no issue with state/international games being called off but some people are saying all forms of cricket should have a week off which is a bit silly, Phillip wouldn't have wanted that.

I'm absolutely shattered.

I remember watching a very young Hughesy play Sydney grade cricket back around 2006/2007 and telling all my mates this kid was going to be the next big thing. Over the past 7 years I've ridden the wave watching his career, cheering him on and engaging in endless debates with those who wrote him off. I had every belief he would have been a pillar of the Test team for the next 10 years.

He was my favourite player, and I'm devastated for his family - particularly his mum and sister who witnessed the events.

RIP mate.

Terrible news, R.I.P Phil Hughes. So shocked.. we all knew it was bad but you didnt want to think that he could lose his life.
This has rocked and shocked the world of sport. Feel sick in the stomach and so flat. thoughts with his family friends and Sean Abbott who must be going through hell rightt now.

After the two (Bianchi/Schumacher) I've seen recently the idea of Phil not making it just didn't occur to me. The impact was so different and (presumably) so much less I just didn't think it possible. Shocked. Completely shocked.

It should the players' decision and theirs alone.
They may want to play as a tribute or they may be in no fit state to play at all. We can't even begin to comprehend how they're feeling...think about it, I'm sure most of us are sitting here in shock with tears in our eyes and we didn't even know him.

I'm four months older than him. Something about him being so similar in age to me really hits home.

I feel so much for his family, and friends. And I'm genuinely gutted for Sean Abbott too- I really, really hope he is given the utmost support for as long as he needs it, because he will be in purgatory right now. Not that it was his fault in the slightest- this is just as freaky an accident as you can imagine.

Just...****.
When you think of the thousands of bouncers that have been bowled this year, it really shows how bizarre this accident was. Sean Abbott did nothing wrong and I agree, gutted for him as well.

I remember when he debuted, and my little brother wouldn't shut up about how good Phil Hughes was. Of course he got a golden duck, and I had a laugh at my brother's expense (not Hughesy's though), but he went and vindicated my brother's faith in the second innings, well and truly shutting met up.

Then he went to Durban and flayed the Saffers, absolutely destroyed the best pace attack in the world.

He should have been given a better chance to find his feet at Test level.

But that's not the real tragedy here. I just hope that both the Hughes and Abbott families receive all the support they need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant see Mitch Johnson coming out wanting to bowl aggressive at 150kmh, let alone any bowler
Think the first test may be cancelled

Hands up, I didnt know the bloke but do you guys honestly think Phil Hughes would of wanted the test cancelled?

* no.

Use it as the ideal unifying showcase to celebrate and pay tribute to Hughes and cricket in general, whilst letting the community as a whole get together and support one another.

Cancelling the test would be pissweak knee jerk reactionary bullshit at it's worst.

My opinion.

R.I.P Phillip, life is so scary, guy is the same age as me and boom freak accident and he is gone :(

No word on any of that yet, we'll hear something in the next 24 hours. I have no issue with state/international games being called off but some people are saying all forms of cricket should have a week off which is a bit silly, Phillip wouldn't have wanted that.

On paper, there should be no issue with the first test proceeding, however, it's possible the funeral will be held pretty close to the start of the test match, and understandably the players will want to attend.

Although India even want tomorrow's tour match to proceed http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...hughes-situation/story-e6frf3g3-1227136907954, hopefully if the first test is postponed/called off, common sense will prevail.

I think the best outcome will be to postpone the test, it's then a matter of where to fit the test.

Hands up, I didnt know the bloke but do you guys honestly think Phil Hughes would of wanted the test cancelled?

**** no.

Use it as the ideal unifying showcase to celebrate Hughes and cricket in general.

Cancelling the test would be pissweak knee jerk reactionary bullshit at it's worst.

My opinion.
It's not cancelling it out of respect to him, or to be sensitive or something. It's cancelling it because the players might not be in the right headspace to play a 5 day Test match right now.

**** no.

Use it as the ideal unifying showcase to celebrate Hughes and cricket in general.

My opinion.

While I think you're right in celebrating PJ Hughes life and career, I think the bigger issue is this: what do you think the quicks will be thinking before sprinting in and bouncing the opposition? And how will the batsman feel when they see the first short one rearing up at them?

After the two (Bianchi/Schumacher) I've seen recently the idea of Phil not making it just didn't occur to me. The impact was so different and (presumably) so much less I just didn't think it possible. Shocked. Completely shocked.

I feel exactly the same way man. Although I feared that he may have ended up like Schumacher and Bianchi, I honestly didn't expect him to die.

Absolutely shattered :(

Mate: I can see where you're coming from, but how on earth can those who witnessed this dreadful event play so soon after it happened? I realise life must go on, but it must surely be damn tough to do so in the short term.

**** no.

Use it as the ideal unifying showcase to celebrate and pay tribute to Hughes and cricket in general, whilst letting the community as a whole get together and support one another.

My opinion.

What you say is correct. However, I doubt the players will be able to get up for a test that starts in a week. Will depend on how it has affected the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back