• Dustin Martin

Votes: 164 55.8%
  • Dyson Heppell

Votes: 130 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Percentages aren't a good indicator when stats are low like scoring shots. How about percentage differences. For example

Dusty averages approx 90% of Heppels possessions
Heppel averages approx 30% of Dustys scoring shots
:D Are you trying to prove stats can be manipulated?

Coz that was my point.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I love how Happy Mastenator didn't reply to me or paddy love over the Heppell not getting tagged issue.

Sorry can't see everything and missed that. Heppell gets tagged. That was not my argument. I've seen the damage he can do when not tagged (game against us this year in Melbourne), but to say Dusty doesn't get tagged is silly, especially when he spends a lot of time forward and has a designated defender, also gets followed when goes into the midfield because he can carve up.

Yeah, it is.
Heppell has outplayed Martin for 3 years. If Dodoro walked up to whoever Richmond's list manager was and offered Heppell for Martin they would take and run.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Both are excellent players, Heppell has Martin covered with footy smarts, work rate and leadership and Martin has Heppell covered in the skill department, physical attributes and goal kicking ability.
If you combine the 2 of them you end up with a player like Ablett.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Heppell has outplayed Martin for 3 years. If Dodoro walked up to whoever Richmond's list manager was and offered Heppell for Martin they would take and run.

mHM3DMk.gif

Also for those carrying on about the Rising Star. you need to go back and re read reviews of that year. Dustin clearly had a better year then Heppell, particularly the first half. He just did not win it for that ridiculous report that made him ineligible to win it.

Also Dustin has been super consistent with his performances. I have no idea why people question " off field" issues when he has none, outside of sleeping in on a training session. Last point I'll like to add is simply this Dustin has zero question marks on his performance, he has recieved no infraction notices etc. Now I am not saying this to troll, Doss if you feel me rreferencingit is bad just delete it.

I only mention it as till we know 100% the truth, If you are going to mark Dusty down for "off field" staff surely the same applies even more so for Heppell.

Also one last point, below is the both players total disposals for the year. You tell me which one you would perfered to have had in your side this year ?

Martin- 560 disposals = 27 goals 15 behinds
Heppell- 626 disposals = 6 goals 6 behinds

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of crap

Robbo92

All Australian
Sep 28, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, OKC Thunder
Dusty quite easily. I actually like Heppell he does a lot of things well. But Martin is still yet to deliver on his potential and he's already much more of a gamebreaker.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Dusty quite easily. I actually like Heppell he does a lot of things well. But Martin is still yet to deliver on his potential and he's already much more of a gamebreaker.

Overall Heppell is a better player though, Better player>>>>yet to fill his potential.
hence Rising Star winner, All Australian, Coaches association best young player, B&F winner and 4th in MVP.
Martin does have lots of potential though.

Tiger71

Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Overall Heppell is a better player though, Better player>>>>yet to fill his potential.
hence Rising Star winner, All Australian, Coaches association best young player, B&F winner and 4th in MVP.
Martin does have lots of potential though.

But facts dont lie. I get what your saying with individual awards and I will put aside that Dusty was ineligible for the Rising Star in a year he was the clear standout judged by most. The simple fact, even if you look at this year which IMO was Heppell's best, Dusty even though he played mainly HHF was a far more dangerous player then Heppell...

Heppell only had 66 more disposals then Martin and Martin did not play as much time in the midfield but Martin had 42 shots on goal compared to Heppells 12. With Jobe out, Heppell was used a lot more so its surprising, some have said that Dusty fades in games yet Heppell has only 66 more disposals playing in a position that should give you a lot more chances to get the ball then a forward would have.

Heppell the better player ? I dont think so.

No he wouldn't, you are a truly deluded person and not nearly as knowledgable on footy as you believe you are if you think there is a massive difference between them.
Very different players, not much between them.
That is reality, you're in a fantasy land dude;)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Also Dustin has been super consistent with his performances. I have no idea why people question " off field" issues when he has none, outside of sleeping in on a training session. Last point I'll like to add is simply this Dustin has zero question marks on his performance, he has recieved no infraction notices etc. Now I am not saying this to troll, Doss if you feel me rreferencingit is bad just delete it.

You're blind if you can't see the difference between the two off the field. If Martin was anywhere near as clean off field as you are making out sides would have been climbing over each other to try and sign him up last off season. The guy has issues everyone knows it and in fact I'd say Richmond have managed him extremely well.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
But facts dont lie. I get what your saying with individual awards and I will put aside that Dusty was ineligible for the Rising Star in a year he was the clear standout judged by most. The simple fact, even if you look at this year which IMO was Heppell's best, Dusty even though he played mainly HHF was a far more dangerous player then Heppell...

Heppell only had 66 more disposals then Martin and Martin did not play as much time in the midfield but Martin had 42 shots on goal compared to Heppells 12. With Jobe out, Heppell was used a lot more so its surprising, some have said that Dusty fades in games yet Heppell has only 66 more disposals playing in a position that should give you a lot more chances to get the ball then a forward would have.

Heppell the better player ? I dont think so.

OK 1 was AA, B&F winner and 4th in the MVP but the other one had a better season:eek:

OK 1 was AA, B&F winner and 4th in the MVP but the other one had a better season:eek:

Heppell also finished 8th in the AFLCA and won the ABC footballer of the year while Martin wasn't sighted in anything.

Tiger71

Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
but the reality is quite simple. Heppell had only 66 more disposals then Martin but was not even close to being as damaging, 12 scoring shots from a mid is reall average compared to martins 42

but the reality is quite simple. Heppell had only 66 more disposals then Martin but was not even close to being as damaging, 12 scoring shots from a mid is reall average compared to martins 42

The coaches thought he was more damaging...

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Comparing shots on goal is pretty laughable given the amount of time Martin played up forward compared to Heppell. Martin is FWD/MID and Heppell is DEF/MID - its just what their respective teams need of them . That said i do agree that the next step forward for Heppell is to have more score involvements. However I think Heppell has more improvement in him than Martin - He's younger and he's shown a continual ability to keep improving year to year (really disciplined player who you can tell works hard to remedy any of his flaws each year). The idea that Martin has a lot of improvement in him seems based off hope more than anything - i think he will mature a bit but i don't think his onfield presence will change greatly. I've always regarded him as a very physically mature player from the moment he set foot on the field - those types don't typically have the same degree of improvement scope in them.

I don't think its clear cut who is better anyway so I have no problem with people preferring Martin's x-factor attributes to Heppell's consistency. It will be interesting to see how this comparison evolves in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back