Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke with a part time Freo recruiter just then, they rated De Goey very very highly and said he was the best interview. Enjoyed hearing that.

Maynard looks very solid, great kick and a good size, whilst there is a lot to work with with Goodyear. Importantly all have height!!

Can't believe anyone would be disappointed because we didn't get someone who was rated highly in a 'phantom' draft. The fact Hine read everyone out so quick is a pretty good indication we got who we wanted.

Meanwhile, over at Filth Park, things might be a little bit awkward between the coach and his new first round pick...

B3cJIAKCUAAD9PG.jpg

:oops::eek:

Maynard combines pace with an elite kick, good height and terrific contested beast, at 88kgs he could step up to AFL level from year 1

De Goey does everything well, the only knock is he doesn't get enough of the footy. Hine explained after the draft the reason for this was he spent more time forward and only had brief stints in the midfield. He is a blue chip long term star

Goodyear has elite pace and endurance, can win his own footy and only knock is his kicking can be inconsistent. I'll back Hine on this one

I pretty much only get to watch the Cannons home games because they're close by.

Goodyear is a really good pick. He is just an extractor. It really hurts his disposal efficiency at Tac level. In space he is much better, but it is obviously something he will tidy up.

His ability to just pop out of the contest is amazing though and he then has excellent evasiveness to avoid the surrounding bodies.

Meanwhile, over at Filth Park, things might be a little bit awkward between the coach and his new first round pick...

B3cJIAKCUAAD9PG.jpg

:oops::eek:
LOL, I was about to post the same thing!

That is just beautiful!

Essendon killed it.

Moore is great but they've already got Daniher.

I'm comfortable with De Goey but Laverde and Langford is a dynamic mix.

If only we had picks 18, 19 and 20 this year.

Not sure why the scum took Blaine at pick 19 and not 28?

They must have had some mail he mightn't last till then.

I was happy with our first three selections but not at all happy missing out on a player many liked the sound of even at 30 in Cavka and why oh why didn't we take a chance with McKenzie at 75.

We could have absolutely nailed this draft with those two selections but now I'm feeling a little bit peeved off.

I certainly don't think we should have drafted based on 'hype'.

We very clearly had a set brief for this draft: contested ball winners, hard workers, preferably with good foot skills. Not surprising when you hear the language of the club throughout the year when assessing our losses.

For me while I really liked Laverde from what I had read and saw before the draft, there is no better information than the judgement of 16 other clubs who passed on him, and same story with R.McKenzie not being picked until 77.

De Goey looks like an excellent pick: versatile, strong inside, pure midfield potential, neat looking kick, great work ethic, no clear weakness. I also like the look of Maynard's left boot. And don't forget we got a top 5 prospect in Darcy Moore as well!

Gotta love the fact that we're going to follow the development of Scharenberg, Freeman, Moore, De Goey and Maynard next year.

Our clearance work this year was pretty bad and clearly we had a focus on getting players to fix that. Second last in clearances and 13th for contested possessions.

Players that are ball winners and can kick definitely fill a need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I certainly don't think we should have drafted based on 'hype'.

We very clearly had a set brief for this draft: contested ball winners, hard workers, preferably with good foot skills. Not surprising when you hear the language of the club throughout the year when assessing our losses.

For me while I really liked Laverde from what I had read and saw before the draft, there is no better information than the judgement of 16 other clubs who passed on him, and same story with R.McKenzie not being picked until 77.

De Goey looks like an excellent pick: versatile, strong inside, pure midfield potential, neat looking kick, great work ethic, no clear weakness. I also like the look of Maynard's left boot. And don't forget we got a top 5 prospect in Darcy Moore as well!

Gotta love the fact that we're going to follow the development of Scharenberg, Freeman, Moore, De Goey and Maynard next year.

Spot on ...... 16 other clubs passed on Laverde and Langford.....must be something in this.

Very very happy with DeGoey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the youngsters coming through our team might be looking very, very different in 2016. In a good way I hope.
Still spewing the Langford/Laverde combo will at some stage come up against us on ANZAC day. Those cheats are now thieves as well.

Stoked with our picks. Apart from a select few on our board none of us know anything about our picks, we only read what others post and see limited footage of the players we then base our opinion on very little fact. Our recruiters do years of research. Months of watching and following prospects, sit through interviews, etc..... I am backing Hine, Rendell and the recruiting team. The kids have talent otherwise they would not be eligiblable for the draft or considered as picks. It's up to the individuals to now put their head down ass up, grit the teeth and work their backsides off to get the best out of themselves. Talent gets you drafted, hard work makes you a consistent AFL player. We needed mids and drafted accordingly. GO THE PIES!

If you're about Snoop Dog McKenna at 23? Did you feel like that was because there hand was forced ala Stewart or because they legitimately rated him that highly?

FWIW guys take a gander at West Coast's work very impressive mix to build around the tall's they already have!!

If you're about Snoop Dog McKenna at 23? Did you feel like that was because there hand was forced ala Stewart or because they legitimately rated him that highly?

FWIW guys take a gander at West Coast's work very impressive mix to build around the tall's they already have!!

i had the impression they really rated him with Hawks and hence if they wanted him he had to go there or they would miss him.

I dare say Dayne Beams leaving completely changed our draft selections. I'm sure if he had of stayed we may have taken a chance on a Laverde or Cockatoo early but we just played it safe.

I'm a little meh about the whole thing but trust what the club is doing. This is what happens with weeks of hype on BF prior to the draft, It's difficult to come out feeling like you've smashed it.

I think also the somewhat novelty of Moore has died of and we don't associate him with this draft. When you look at De Goey, Moore and Maynard that's a good result, albeit somewhat safe.

Add Greenwood, Crisp, Freeman, Karnezis, Scharenburg and Varcoe who are all yet to pull on a B&W jumper, it's looking pretty good for the next couple of years.

I wasn't overly thrilled with De Goey at first, as I was super keen on Laverde. But I don't wanna write the kid off before he's had a chance to prove himself.

Maynard I'm actually quite pleased about. Compares himself to Jordan Lewis, reminds me a bit of Hodge (left footer, likes to be assertive, half back with a desire to be a midfielder). Can't complain.

Matthew Goodyear I'm yet to see anything about. No write ups or footage so if someone could post a link that'd be good :)

I'm hoping we take Ahmed Saad in the rookie draft, and I'll be a happy man.

So long as these boys can kick the footy, that's all I care about- and apparently De Goey, Moore and Maynard are all good kicks- so we shall see.

That's another 2 quality top 10 selections to add to our fleet of first rounders. We need them now to kick on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back