Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

Same as every year since we outrageously picked Franklin and Roughead, we have NEVER picked who we were expected to pick, don't see the point getting all mad about your favourite unproven kid not getting picked. With our track record of drafting the unexpected, I honestly doubt we would have picked Touk Miller if he had fallen to us, though we do seem to have a fetish for sub 180cm players we fulfilled with Teia Miles.. We'll be devastated if he grows a cm.

Pittonet and Howe looks really nice to me actually. Have always preferred ruckmen like Hale, that try to get quality taps over quantity. Pittonet looks like he's in that mold, not too panicked about just wacking it, and has a deft touch. Miles looks okay, good mover with the ball but I suspect he'll need to improve his kicking.
No long term projects, yaaay. Leave that stuff to rookies.

call me pessimistic but in a few years I can just imagine our midfield getting smashed by Collingwood. They have De goey, Maynard, scharenberg, freeman, crisp, greenwood, seedsman etc against our midget brigade Duryea, hill, whitecross, shiels, woodward, hartung, anderson
O'rourke??

You're also missing the best of the lot.

Starts with L....

Anyway hodge and mitch cleaned up in IR so might have more than one or two years left

Its not enough on its own but it underlines mitch IS in the top echelon of midfielders

call me pessimistic but in a few years I can just imagine our midfield getting smashed by Collingwood. They have De goey, Maynard, scharenberg, freeman, crisp, greenwood, seedsman etc against our midget brigade Duryea, hill, whitecross, shiels, woodward, hartung, anderson

We'll just have to put up with winning premierships in the interim :D

That's why we got Howe... :cool:

Anyway, Anderson would smash any of those pussies who even looked at him strange. So... shall we talk Langford?

i CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T PICK THAT PLAYER WHO i SAW ON YOUTUBE, AND PICKED SOMEONE I DIDNT EVEN NO ABOUT..WHAT KIND OF AMATEUR HOUR STUFF IS THIS???? * YOU BUCKENARA

Surprised but happy when having a good look at the players. We get a ruckman and two utilities who at least one of them in Howe to be groomed into a midfielder. We got 4 picks in the rookie draft (one of them probably on Grimley) so we get another 3 players in the rookie draft. We got ourselves a great opportunity to complete our list and balance it with some youngsters and maybe some mature age players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got rid of Lowden as he just wasn't good enough. He was on the list for 6 years and only got his first game due to injuries to all other ruckman. His age profile meant that he was not really a young player anymore, and was the same age as the two ruckman above him, who were playing better than him.

Therefore, makes pretty good sense to offload Lowden and balance the ruck department with a young ruck - with good upside and plenty of time to develop, unlike Lowden who was arguably stagnating without AFL game time.

Makes pretty good sense to me. We now have an old ruck, two early/mid-20s and a U20 ruck. Nice balance. You never want to stack you're club with one type of player in all the same age bracket. You'll get what happened to the Saints and have your whole team fall off a cliff when the group starts getting too old.

You mean like .... Hodge Mitchell Sewell and Burgoye? A lot of weight will need to be burdened by Hill, Shiels, O'Rourke, Anderson, Hartung and Langford in 24months and beyond. I hope they're up to it.

I like the fact that the first two guys are versatile. We have the luxury of letting them develop, see how our own side develops and then put them in a position that benefits both them and our club.

Welcome Fella's I'll check back in 12-24 months on your progress. Til then no need to panic. Some make it some don't it was never going to be a ripper draft, after all we won the flag, so lets wait and see and save the condemnation, if you must for the years to come if the boys don't make it. X factor only gets you so far, hard work and determination are much more important.

I wait to see if there's any romance and we nab Gowers or Hodge, if not, well so it goes.

Today especially I chose to not dwell on perceived negatives.

RIP Phil, to young...

Looking at our draft picks some might say its a bit underwhelming.
but If you look at what we have picked up as a whole in both the Trade and Draft period..... it really is a dynamic mix.
Effectively we have picked up:

O'Rourke for pick 19 - Medium midfielder.
Daniel Howe Pick 31 - 190cm plus midfielder/HBF that most on here have been craving as a missing piece.
Teia Miles - Pick 49 - Back pocket/mid
Marc Pittonet - pick 50 - Ruckman. replacement for Lowden

Then you throw in Frawley KPD for the next 5-7 years.

its been a fruitful period.

Last edited:
i CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T PICK THAT PLAYER WHO i SAW ON YOUTUBE, AND PICKED SOMEONE I DIDNT EVEN NO ABOUT..WHAT KIND OF AMATEUR HOUR STUFF IS THIS???? **** YOU BUCKENARA
Yeah this Roughead looks like a complete spud! I can't believe we let Richmond pick Tambling, they are saying he could be the best indigenous player ever!!!

People are especially forgetting Rourkey. Kid will be the goods. Just needs a bit of confidence and TLC and he'll be (to borrow a phrase from Eddie) kickin' goals with both feet.
Do not want to hijack the thread but from what I have seen of O'Rourke he doesn't follow up or defend and only goes when ball is in vicinity. Then his kicks are not to advantage. I watched round 20 last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back