Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Two sides in Kolkata observing a minutes silence before a game today.

B3dA77xCcAApBQC.jpg:large

That's beautiful

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The answered the questions that some idiot asked looking to blame someone. It's a one in a million thing. They're not trying to make any mileage out of it at all.

Fair enough. Didn't exactly know the context.

But I do reckon they can deflect blame without discussing their "latest [and implicitly their best] design". Perhaps stating condolences for Phil Hughes and making clear that nobody (including them) was to blame for a freak occurrence would have sufficed?

Then again, getting sucked into debates over PR by helmet companies sort of takes away from the big picture, so let's not discuss this further.

Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I don't know what to think, I am still in shock about what happened on Tuesday let alone his passing today. I loved Phil Hughes as a player and felt like I had watched a talented and cheeky young kid grow into a man scoring a mountain of runs in FC cricket and really thought he was ready to take the next step and take over the opening position from Rogers in due course.
I've been seeing pictures of him online and on TV and been listening to others talk about his career and home life and I am not ashamed to admit that I have been choking back tears on many occasions since Tuesday but especially today.
Rest in piece little fella.

Goldenblue

Norm Smith Medallist
Ex-Moderator
Aug 2, 2001
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I feel sick to my guts right now, this just seems surreal. R.I.P Hughesy, you will be missed.

Condolences to his family, his friends, his team mates and all the nations involved in international cricket.

My thoughts also go out to Sean Abbott, who would be devestated. My thoughts go those people here who are in shock and disbelief at his death, I feel the same as the rest of you guys on this thread. I know how you all feel.

May Phil rest in peace. Never forgotten.

Goldenblue

Norm Smith Medallist
Ex-Moderator
Aug 2, 2001
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Two sides in Kolkata observing a minutes silence before a game today.

B3dA77xCcAApBQC.jpg:large
A wonderful gesture. I am so proud of the other cricketing nations who have also been sincere and respectful during this darkest hour of the game.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
that cartoon of hughes and abbott, and the photo of the kolkata crickets are truly heart wrenching. such a hard time, and many to come.

VirgilHilts

All Australian
Mar 22, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa, Warwickshire
I don't want to intrude on anyone's grief but I would like to pass on my condolences as an Englishman to Philip Hughes's family and friends, and to Australian cricket supporters. It seems scarcely believable that a week ago I was checking your domestic scores and wondering whether I'd see Hughes back in the Test squad and now I'm sat here devastated that I won't get to see him ever again, anywhere. Cricket has lost players young before now - Ben Hollioake, Graham Kersey, Umer Rashid spring to mind - but never on the field of play and rarely one with so much talent and vitality as Philip Hughes. One day the grief will pass but never the sorrow and never the memory. Rest in peace.

MelVilander

Senior List
Dec 17, 2008
Ind
AFL Club
Adelaide
God this is so heart wrenching, he was 25 and was going to be the next great batsman. This is just too shocking and sad, praying to god to give his family,friends and players and poor Abbot strength to see this through. Even after induced coma i thought he will recover and come back like Jesse, this neck artery thing is so freakish, how could this happen in a cricket field... maybe helmets need to be redesigned to protect the neck area, as the ball is legally bowl-able to the head. Too sad now, wonder how crushing it should be to his family and aus team.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
A great post VirgilHilts

Just got home from a mates house. A couple of beers, and a lot of talk about Phillip Hughes and stunned is the only word. You read on the Shield text commentary "An ambulance is coming to the ground" and you think s**t this is serious but you still just think OK he's in a bit more trouble than normal but we'll get him to hospital and he'll pull through.... Not this time :( No time should ever have this ending.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Phil was a top shelf bloke. It'd be a little disrespectful to say we were friends as I'm not sure that's the best word to describe it. I didn't know him that well. I've had beers with him (which he bought, because Phil was just that sort of a bloke) and a few really friendly chats. He was the housemate of two blokes at my cricket club - Tom and Ben Cooper. Understandably they're in shock, as is our whole club and the whole of South Australian cricket. Every time I saw Phil, he was happy and smiling. Every time I heard him, he was entertaining and engaging. Every time I was near him, I left feeling better for it. He had no arrogance or entitlement, he was just happy to be in a position where he could do what he loves. On Sunday I noticed Phil sitting on the banks watching a cricket game I was batting in from the crease and instantly every thought of mine became about not making a fool of myself in front of Phil (I did end up doing so, for the record) but really, it just made my day that Phil would come out and watch an amateur cricket game on a Sunday involving a club he wasn't a part of. He just loved cricket. So many mates of mine are wrecks at the moment; they knew Phil better than I did. Nobody could speak a bad world of him.

I apologise for the long winded post, but I just wanted to share my very limited glimpse into Phil as a person. He was as good as they come - this isn't fair at all. His death has left me an absolute wreck, just so close to home. Having seen him only a few days ago makes it all tougher. He was truly one of the best.

Rest easy Phil.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
It should also be noted Ashton Agar who is a big contributor to the cricket board and is a massive fan of Phil Hughes. Not just through the last 48 hours but has been a huge fan of Hughes for a long time. He hasn't posted on here since Phillips death so I hope you're doing allright bro.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
A great post VirgilHilts

Just got home from a mates house. A couple of beers, and a lot of talk about Phillip Hughes and stunned is the only word. You read on the Shield text commentary "An ambulance is coming to the ground" and you think s**t this is serious but you still just think OK he's in a bit more trouble than normal but we'll get him to hospital and he'll pull through.... Not this time :( No time should ever have this ending.

Reflecting on my past experiences, it seems human nature to expect that somebody you care about will pull through a serious accident or condition, even though with hindsight it may have been quite clear that such expectation was naive. I think it is because people don't really want to think about experiencing the loss of people they care about.

I remember going through the same thing when I was 12. A classmate in my primary school contracted leukaemia. I had expected that she would survive the experience because I had never experienced nor expected to experience loss (simply contemplating it was frightening).

One can only imagine my shock when I discovered that she had passed away the next year (I had since moved schools). It hit home very hard. However, with hindsight, it seemed that her condition had been deteriorating - even in December 2002, her skin had paled significantly and she was enduring a rash (not sure if by-product of medicines taken or leukaemia itself?) that had disfigured her face beyond recognition.

On Sunday I noticed Phil sitting on the banks watching a cricket game I was batting in from the crease and instantly every thought of mine became about not making a fool of myself in front of Phil (I did end up doing so, for the record) but really, it just made my day that Phil would come out and watch an amateur cricket game on a Sunday involving a club he wasn't a part of. He just loved cricket. So many mates of mine are wrecks at the moment; they knew Phil better than I did. Nobody could speak a bad world of him.

You maybe made yourself look like a fool, but you probably got his admiration for him turning up and probably gave him a inward smile or laugh, probably for one of the last times thats priceless is it not.:thumbsu::(

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You maybe made yourself look like a fool, but you probably got his admiration for him turning up and probably gave him a inward smile or laugh, probably for one of the last times thats priceless is it not.:thumbsu::(

I fell over trying to avoid a 140 k bouncer.

It's the worst kind of irony and makes me feel rubbish.

VirgilHilts

All Australian
Mar 22, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa, Warwickshire
That YouTube video is absolutely heartbreaking. It really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back