Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

Laverde or Lever I would have been happy with. Kid just seems to have a lot of class, hopefully we get him on the beefcake diet so he can put on the 6-10 kilos he needs, Walshy said we'd make a tilt in 2017...think a platform was laid tonight.

Cards are being stacked against Otto imo....he could be another Crow cut down too soon by injuries catching up with them. I know this is an if, but Hartigan, Cheney fill the two other defensive spots and maybe Lever if he smashes it in the PS then can follow it up with some good SANFL form and gets some game time later in the season, it is going to be hard for Andy to get back into the team.

Could be Porps Mk II

Get injured, slow down, game speeds up, younger players leapfrog you

Sad but true

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the draft class this year, but after watching his highlights, he looks like he could be the perfect partner for Talia down back.

That's why I want to keep him as the third tall

Agreed, for mine he seems like the kind of guy you don't want to tie down with a predominantly shut down role. Similar to a Gibson, Scarlett or Basset/Hart type, I think you want him as a 3rd tall.

IMO a good 3rd tall is much harder to find than a good KPD, there's plenty of okay 3rd talls, we should know, we've had our fair share. But forsomeone who's Athletic, a good size, with good skills and understands both the offensive and defensive sides of the game, I think we develop him as a 3rd tall.

watched a bit of trengrove from port as a kid this guy reminds me a lot of him even personality wise it seems.
should fit in well with talia sloane danger
This kid is nothing like Trengrove from port. He is better than that. I have seen him in a couple of games and if you had to compare him to an AFL player he'd be a better marking version of Grant Birchall. Runs all day, fantastic mark, hits targets. This guy could also be a huge influence in the midfield. As I stated earlier, you have gunned it getting this bloke. He's a real competitor.. Loves the contest.

I picked him before the draft as my dream get, but was quietly confident he would slip down to our pick. I'm usually pretty balanced on draft night but I'm absolutely stoked with this one. What a bargain!

To think Lever was in the mix 6-8 weeks ago at Melbourne's pick 3.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever can run and attack unlike the other two. Very aggressive defensively and offensively.
Great point, I personally would have taken Laverde as I didn't see a need for a genuine KPD but this kid is all class and I think can fit in to the backline with Hartigan and Talia as he is so athletic and attacking in how he plays. Not the shut down key back type like Talia and Hartigan so well done boys I think we have a backline for the next 10 years. Just wish we had added some genuine pace through the midfield.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...er-ian-kyte-says/story-fngnvocb-1227137557258

Calder region manager Ian Kyte said the Crows were thrilled Lever, who had been linked with picks as high as Melbourne’s No. 2 and No. 3, fell to their first-round selection.

“They were rapt to get him, they had him rated as the best player in the draft,” Kyte said.

“When he was still there at 14, they were never not going to take him.

Doesn't matter how competitive he is, he's coming off zero fitness base from a whole season out injured. AFL players with 4+ preseasons behind them aren't properly match fit from one preseason after missing a year, this kid has nothing but a bottom age year of U18s. He's not going to play this year.
I'd say his fitness base would be ok- all he has been doing is fitness work leading up to the draft camp then he ran a marathon. I'd say he needs to work on getting stronger and that's where he'll struggle against the bigger bodies. If he's good enough he'll play next year.

Can I just say

This is the best possible result. Jake is an excellent player, an excellent person, an excellent list fit and in general an excellent selection.

I am beyond stoked that he's going to be a Crow. He's gonna play 250 games - and 250 good ones.

**** this is brilliant.
I know aye, so excited to have Jake on board!

What do you think of Harrison Wigg, Mitch McGovern and Harry Dear selections?

I know aye, so excited to have Jake on board!

What do you think of Harrison Wigg, Mitch McGovern and Harry Dear selections?

I have reservations about them all. Dear I don't mind as a player - there's enough there to like to think there's some framework for him to become a player. I'm very surprised we didn't take McKenzie over him though and that's a decision I feel we'll strongly regret.

Emma Quayle Article: How draft prospect Jake Lever found other ways to be noticed (Nov 9, 2014)
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...other-ways-to-be-noticed-20141109-11jc35.html

"Lever swam in the mornings, went to the gym after work, rode his bike on weekends and tried to beat Steve Forcone, the Cannons' conditioning coach, every time they trained together. The pair ran the Noosa triathlon last weekend."

Definitely has the right attitude and motivation - very happy with this selection.

I'm happy, think lever can be a 200 gamer but won't play much next year. Will be a slow start like talia but feel he will be a gun
I dont see the value in dropping him in the deep end after hes missed a year of footy coming back from a knee reconstruction. Let the kid build his body up, get a good feel for playing against grown men in the 2s, have him ease into the 1s at a pace that wont risk his longevity. we arent that desperate that an 18 year old defender is going to make or break our season... i hope.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-11-28/levers-point-to-prove

Almost brought a tear to my eye when he said he wanted to play for Adelaide for the next 10 to 15 years. Already a leader at the club and hasn't even stepped in the door yet :) I'm stoked!
Mate. If his knee is behind him, we have got ourselves an absolute gem.

Love these snippets from the article.

“I think leadership is a strength of mine. I also think my team-first approach and competitiveness are two other things I can bring to any team and, especially, now that I’m at the Crows,” he said.

“I read about (coach) Phil Walsh the other day and his team-first philosophy. Personally, that’s a big thing for me in my footy as well. I’m just looking forward to getting to know him and all the players.”

“Mum’s probably happy to get me out of the house! The reality is it (moving) is part of football and part of life. I think I’m a very independent person. I think I was going to move out at the end of this year or next anyway. I’m happy to be coming to the Crows. I want to be an Adelaide player for the next 10-15 years.”

......think I'll go watch his highlights package again! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back