Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I would been Intrested too why we passed on him. Guess Hine likes Gault

Can't see why that would preclude them from taking a punt on Mckenzie but there you go. Gault has 2015 to show something or he's pretty much done I reckon - McKenzie could have been a nice player to bring along and introduce him into the mix 3-4 years from now as part of the next generation (but he could just as easily wash out himself I guess if every club was passing on him).

More likely he just thinks mckensie is not going to make it so its a waste of a pic. Doubt it has anything to do with Gault a player who is very unlikely to make it either.

Hit the nail On the head . We basically went all midfielders which tells me that we are more than happy with our talks setup .... Obviously can't be solely based on what's on our list but what if we know a certain tall is coming our way at the end of next year ...... The way we have drafted gives me more hope that we have a target next year and it won't be danger but a certain future chf who along with Darcy Moore will form a 10 year forward partnership ......

More likely he just thinks mckensie is not going to make it so its a waste of a pic. Doubt it has anything to do with Gault a player who is very unlikely to make it either.

Then I guess the Tigers where the only team that think he could

Maybe not if we can snag Cameron and/or Trelaor next year, that could even things up nicely.

We'll see. The closer those sides get to success the less likely players will leave. Gold Coast will push for top 4 next season and GWS won't be far behind.

I dont know what people are complaining. about.
- remember how we always complain that we look small when ever we play hawthorn. After tonights draft, that will not be the case anymore.
-Tonight we drafted

Pick No. 5 - Jordan De Goey
Recruited From:
Oakleigh U18
Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg

Pick No. 30 - Brayden Maynard
Recruited From:
Sandringham U18
Height: 186cm
Weight: 88kg
Position: Medium defender

Pick No. 48 - Matthew Goodyear
Recruited From:
Calder U18
Height: 185cm
Weight: 77kg
Position: Midfielder

- just for reference Jordarn lewis is Height-186 Weight:90kg Luke Hodge Height-185 Weight:90kg
- The above three boys are covered for that big body type player allready.
-At the age of 18 they are allready withing 10kg of lewis and Hodges weight and size.
-ANd we all have had multiple first hand experiences at lewis and hodge using their big bodies and tearing us a brand spanking new one everytime we play against them
-The above three boys are the final missing pieces to our side in terms of size. They all have the potential to be future Hodge's and Lewis's if they manage to play up their size.
-Those above boys are who you call 'instant impact players'.
-Remember last year when St KIlda Drafted a 185 cm 82 kg luke dunstan. That big boy dominated and made an instant impact right from the word go.
-Honestly speaking I loved this years draft than last years draft.
-Last years draft we got our selves midfield class in freeman and szhaza .
-This year we have added in the big boys who have the capability of destroying oppositios and imposing their physical prowess on their opponents.
-Whats even better is that we have a bull in the form of Maynard who not only is physically ready to play but also has a raking left foot. (PS - we finally dont need to have young on the team just for the sake of his raking left foot HOORAYY!!!)

The coverage by Fox Footy drove me insane. During the picks in the 20's and 30's they'd be interviewing some guy and I'd have no idea who is going where. Save the interviews for when the draft is finished, Jesus Christ.
Yeah, I'm glad we used the red button after the first round so that we could keep watching the picks live. It was a bit boring on the 4 minute breaks which seemed to go forever, but at least you got to see every pick. There is plenty of analysis and interviews available after the draft is completed.

We'll see. The closer those sides get to success the less likely players will leave. Gold Coast will push for top 4 next season and GWS won't be far behind.
I don't get the hype on the 2 expansion sides. Ablett carries the suns and he can't have much longer left. Gws have next to no support and I don't see where their star power comes from. Cameron?

I could be wrong but I still think clubs like hawks and swans still our main danger for next 3-5 years.

I'm not as excited as I would have been if we had of, say, picked up Laverde and Mckenzie.
But we went with safer more reliable players over high risk, high reward project players.

Not ecstatic about De Goey, but only in comparison to the X factor project players I thought we would pick up(Laverde, Langford)
Quite excited about Maynard.
Haven't a clue who Goodyear is.

But as always #InHineWeTrust

All draft picks are speculative and as I'm pretty sure Hines and his team have seen more of this years draftees than any of us I'm putting my faith in them. If you don't like 'em then essentially you're a speculative complainer. The one element they all have is they're close to home so no pathetic "I'm homesick, get me out of here" excuses. Go woods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- remember how we always complain that we look small when ever we play hawthorn. After tonights draft, that will not be the case anymore.
-Tonight we drafted

Recruited From:
Oakleigh U18

Recruited From:
Sandringham U18

Recruited From:
Calder U18

- just for reference Jordarn lewis is Height-186 Weight:90kg Luke Hodge Height-185 Weight:90kg
-At the age of 18 they are allready withing 10kg of lewis and Hodges weight and size.
-ANd we all have had multiple first hand experiences at lewis and hodge using their big bodies and tearing us a brand spanking new one everytime we play against them
-The above three boys are the final missing pieces to our side in terms of size. They all have the potential to be future Hodge's and Lewis's if they manage to play up their size.
-Remember last year when St KIlda Drafted a 185 cm 82 kg luke dunstan. That big boy dominated and made an instant impact right from the word go.
-This year we have added in the big boys who have the capability of destroying oppositios and imposing their physical prowess on their opponents.
-Whats even better is that we have a bull in the form of Maynard who not only is physically ready to play but also has a raking left foot. (PS - we finally dont need to have young on the team just for the sake of his raking left foot HOORAYY!!!)
But I think the Hawks have just about the smallest midfield in the comp. We look small when we play Freo.

I actually don't rate height like some others do, just making the point that the Hawks are really quite small on average.

Can't see why that would preclude them from taking a punt on Mckenzie but there you go. Gault has 2015 to show something or he's pretty much done I reckon - McKenzie could have been a nice player to bring along and introduce him into the mix 3-4 years from now as part of the next generation (but he could just as easily wash out himself I guess if every club was passing on him).
My guess is that the reason we didn't take McKenzie is that we simply didn't rate him high enough to change our plans. Last year we planned to not use our last two selections and leave the draft with 37 on our list. But then at those two selections two players whom Hine rated as top 30 selections were available ate each of those selections and Hine changed his plans.

This year I think we planned to pass on 75 and leave the draft with 39 senior listed players and we simply didn't have him high enough in our draft order to warrant us changing our plans.

Meanwhile, over at Filth Park, things might be a little bit awkward between the coach and his new first round pick...

B3cJIAKCUAAD9PG.jpg

:oops::eek:
Cheers for that - pure platinum! How much would you pay to see Mark Stevens ask malthouse about that?

i had the impression they really rated him with Hawks and hence if they wanted him he had to go there or they would miss him.
I get the feeling that they've had so many high picks the number doesn't really matter them and they can take as many risks as they like. No need to play it safe when you have do many first round picks every year.

I ran into Rendell after the draft and said to him, No love for McKenzie for our last pick? He said with a shrug of his shoulder, yeah, we're really happy he got picked up though. Kinda seemed obvious that he didn't want to give reasons why we didn't draft players, which I can understand.

I'm assuming that with McKenzies size at his age, he wouldn't have too much upside. Plus who knows how his interviews went.

I asked him if there was anyone he was surprised to see available at our picks this year, like Langdon last year, and he said that this draft didn't produce any sliders like last years.

The last thing I asked was who was running the ship between Hine and him now, and he said with a laugh, well that depends on if we pick up a gem, then it was my idea, but if a player doesn't work out, then it's Hines fault. Lol

A Cold Coast recruiter passed by at that stage and Rendell walked off with him, and I just caught him saying to him what an amazing player he thought either Duggan or Durdin was... Wasn't sure which one though. Maybe he was rubbing it in since GC passed on Durdin to take Garlett.

Anyways, interesting night... Plenty to look forward to in 2015 with so many new players to potentionally get a game.

Cheers for that - pure platinum! How much would you pay to see Mark Stevens ask malthouse about that?

All the gold in El Dorado, especially if Mick gives Stevo another one of his narky answers... :D

-Tonight we drafted

Recruited From:
Oakleigh U18

Recruited From:
Sandringham U18

Recruited From:
Calder U18

Yeah, I like that they're bigger bodied. And I love that they can kick. Think we might have gone for a bit of x-factor though. That's what's missing from our team in my eyes.

Have to laugh at everyone who isn't keen on the lads we picked up because they weren't in some "expert's" phantom draft.

Everyone just plays follow the leader with most of those shitty lists and before you know it you've got everyone hyped for some kid who no one had heard of 20 minutes earlier.

Wouldn't be too worried about the lack of X-Factor, Freeman, PK, Marsh, Fasolo, Kennedy, Elliot, Broomhead, Williams, Seedsman and perhaps Crisp will all add the X-Factor we've been lacking down the track as they develop their tanks, we just needed the balance and we've done that in spades this draft.

A lot to work with in Goodyear, has great breakaway pace and knows how to find it, as someone has already mentioned that's a deadly combo if developed effectively (see Dane Swan) Marsh has already seen fair improvement in his kicking this year so he has every opportunity to turn that around, as a club we seem to excel at developing athletes so wouldn't be surprised if like Langdon he plays a little bit next year, showed a lot at TAC level.

Very happy this year, addressed areas that needed addressing with the best available at those picks, certainly can't be disappointed and quite staggered people are, the traits that these players possess we've been in desperate need of, De Goey optimizes what we lost with Beams and adds a few extra features that may very well make him the better player.

Draft reviews are literally the single most pointless and quite humorous exercise in my opinion, none of these blokes have played a single AFL game yet and it's staggering the amount of people that forget that, if Laverde only plays a handful of AFL games in his career i would not be surprised as there are many, many examples of blokes over the course of footy draft history that were rated highly pre draft that simply don't adapt to an AFL system, also would not be surprised if he displayed issues outside his football talent that reduced his football worth, the amount of people that were disappointed with missing out on Garlett just because he displayed X-Factor last year, the mental side of footy is as important now more than ever and you really can't get an assessment unless you interview the kid.

Unless someone has a hold of Hines draft list to see if we got the players he targeted and rated then there's no current basis to assess or review this draft, 5 years down the track sure, but not now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back