Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

Must have looked away when that bit was on or was buffering, ok thanks Dram.:thumbsu:
Actually, I think that I might have been looking at Viojo-Rainbow's highlights for that tackle... you're right. There isnt any vision of any tackling in that highlights package.

The problem with highlights packages is that it's cherry picking. I could put together a highlights reel on Lucas for the 4 years he was at Carlton that would make him look like a star.

I'd be much more interested in people who have watched him play full games and can comment on how he influences said games.

The problem with highlights packages is that it's cherry picking. I could put together a highlights reel on Lucas for the 4 years he was at Carlton that would make him look like a star.

I'd be much more interested in people who have watched him play full games and can comment on how he influences said games.

I think the good thing with BB's highlight package is they're from a couple of games. Usually you get 3 mins highlight videos from a full year.

Gibbs used to get it 25 times in the sanfl and was pretty hopeless his first year in the afl.

The next level down aint that great.

Looks like we reached again, another Carlton quick fix special.
Peacock ? More like peanut with dumb statements like that .....if anyone is unhappy with this selection then they are pretty bloody hard to please IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know its easy to sound like an expert in hindsight but when I first watched Lucas's highlight reel I thought he looked pretty ordinary. They said he was an elite kick yet even at under-age level his kicks just seem to float.

At least the Boekhurst kicks seem to be more penetrative and his running more 'aggressive' (if you know what I mean).

My thoughts are he seems to have a bit of Trent Cotchin about him ??

He has a bit of a hunched over kicking style, like he doesnt kick through it or unload full bodied but rather tries to steer it. I guess that hunched look is where the Cothcin comparison comes in, but I would say I have seen Daisy Thomas use this style more. My main concern was that he couldn't kick the journey with that style but he does look like he can go the 50.

Did not see one bit of defensive work in his videos. Hopefully he comes with some tackling hunger. I can understand how highlights videos want to show his run, dash and agility because thats his stand out feature.

Last edited:
Peacock ? More like peanut with dumb statements like that .....if anyone is unhappy with this selection then they are pretty bloody hard to please IMO.

Went and watched the Gibbs boy for a year.

16 year old, got smashed off the hbf.

He's been playing with the big kids forever.

Gun.

“I don’t think it was a gamble at all,” Rogers said.

“We pick the best players where they are picked. Is he a pick 19? Yes he is, because it doesn’t matter how old they are or what race or colour they are. If they can play they play and that’s where we pick them.”

- Shane Rogers
What a tosser and a coward. If he had any guts he would've taken the best young kid and made a small gamble that Blain would be there at 28.

Haha saw on instagram that ole Boaky tweeted about how s**t we are during our game against the pies and that Mick's gotta go...
Awksies.

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

That is seriously bloody rad!!!

I love the kid already and I heard his name for the first time 3mins ago.

Hope he saunters in like a champ on his first day...

(then gets down to business)

What a tosser and a coward. If he had any guts he would've taken the best young kid and made a small gamble that Blain would be there at 28.

To then be labelled reckless if we had of missed out out on him at pick 28. Labelling the guy a tosser before we've even seen Boekhorst hit the training track reflects more on you than it does on Roger's ability.

If Boekhorst turns out to be a real gem you'll be part of the band of merry men singing Roger's praises. How about you actually give the kid the chance to prove himself instead of being a "tosser" of a supporter.

To then be labelled reckless if we had of missed out out on him at pick 28. Labelling the guy a tosser before we've even seen Boekhorst hit the training track reflects more on you than it does on Roger's ability.

If Boekhorst turns out to be a real gem you'll be part of the band of merry men singing Roger's praises. How about you actually give the kid the chance to prove himself instead of being a "tosser" of a supporter.
Weak and completely misses the point.

So I can't support Boekhorst because I think Rogers is an idiot for not selecting him 9 picks later when he'd almost certainly have been available?:rolleyes:

Hope the kid is a gun. Support him 100% regardless of whether he is a gun or not now that he's a blue.

That's secondary to me thinking that Rogers stuffed up massively selecting the guy too early.

Weak and completely misses the point.

So I can't support Boekhorst because I think Rogers is an idiot for not selecting him 9 picks later when he'd almost certainly have been available?:rolleyes:

Hope the kid is a gun. Support him 100% regardless of whether he is a gun or not now that he's a blue.

That's secondary to me thinking that Rogers stuffed up massively selecting the guy too early.

No, you're missing the point. You've labelled our recruiting manager "a tosser and a coward" because you presume that he (and others unanimously) rated other talents ahead of Boekhorst yet jumped the gun for fear of missing out. All reports are that he rated Boekhorst in the top 5 midfielders in the draft - meaning he didn't jump the gun, he chose the best midfielder available at that pick. Your dig at Shane is based purely on your own opinion of the draft talent and, as a result, believing that was his/ everyone else's opinion of the draft talent.

What I'm saying is maybe wait a little so that Boekhorst and, hence, Shane can prove he was worth the pick 19. You've stated as if it is fact that he is not worth that pick - but all that is based on is a pure speculative opinion. You are entitled to that, but you're not entitled to label someone a "tosser and a coward" based on that opinion. That's just not on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back