2014 Draft outcome discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm quite amazed how happy i am with our picks, Watching the Patty/Hugh bromance reaction i can see it being an even more favorable outcome for the club then i first thought. Could be a symbiotic relationship which is excites me more now then just how much of a freak quadzilla is.
Well Done Boys

Dewah, we got a key defender at pick 21!

Cop that! :p

Can't win a flag now!;)
i can live with it. im more worried about the dan mckenzie pick right now.

I'm sort of glad we didn't reach for a midfielder with 41 if we really rated Lonie as a small forward.

Plenty of mids on the list, and plenty on their way in the next couple of years either via draft, trade or FA.
Yup. Plus we've got a few "maybes" in our burgeoning midfield. Guys like Curren, Markworth, Murdoch, Saunders and Ross. Not knocking any of these guys but there's no givens in that list. There's only so many spots in the midfield so let the big guys take their time next year while exposing these kind of players to get a better idea of where we stand. We can pounce next year to get some more mids whether it's purely through the draft or throwing some cash around.

I'm quite amazed how happy i am with our picks, Watching the Patty/Hugh bromance reaction i can see it being an even more favorable outcome for the club then i first thought. Could be a symbiotic relationship which is excites me more now then just how much of a freak quadzilla is.
Well Done Boys
Someone was calling them 'The Bookends' ;)

Two years in a row I reckon you guys have killed the draft, good picks or not.

Good choice to go for talls and great result taking Goddard - it would have been a shame to miss out on talls when next year it's very mid-centric.
I think this is the other part of the equation.

I think McCartin's potential has been undersold by his injury and lack of state/tac level football and that next years mids will fill our list as good as Petracca could have.

I think this is the other part of the equation.

I think McCartin's potential has been undersold by his injury and lack of state/tac level football and that next years mids will fill our list as good as Petracca could have.

Yep. I also think McKenzie is an underrated gun.

Anyone really scared in the fact we picked up no pure mids in the draft :(:(:( this is the only thing that I don't like, it's scaring me
I like that we didn't reach for any and that we now have next season to give a few on our list who we hope will play midfield a really good crack at it to see if they are likely to be up for it. The likes of Wright, Saunders, Minchington and Murdoch.

Also happy as f%#^ that I will never evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver have to hear about or see lamb play football for a Melbourne club.
Until he asks for a trade to us in two years time, after West Coast have put a couple of years of development into him and he's ready to go boom!

Dan McKenzie- This is the steal we were looking for. Great athletic mid with the three special ingredients- Speed, Endurance and Agility. Also from what I've seen of him looks elite with the ball in hand and would fit in perfectly on a wing playing a Farren Ray type role or a rolling Half Back
He gets really good wraps for his strong marking as well and his running jump was also exceptional. The only two to beat him in that test at the combine were from America.

Yup. Plus we've got a few "maybes" in our burgeoning midfield. Guys like Curren, Markworth, Murdoch, Saunders and Ross. Not knocking any of these guys but there's no givens in that list. There's only so many spots in the midfield so let the big guys take their time next year while exposing these kind of players to get a better idea of where we stand. We can pounce next year to get some more mids whether it's purely through the draft or throwing some cash around.
Exactly.

Now, now, credit it where it's due. Carlton had already made an artform out of tanking FOR picks. Now they've gone even further, and are tanking WITH picks.

What pioneers...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then...

there's Carlton.

mjl.gif

Just realised Bampton didn't get picked. Should definitely use no1 rookie on him. Like the look of him a lot. Eli mk 2 :)

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8933484

Saints enjoy big AFL draft

Their key forward succession plan swung into action within seconds of McCartin walking off stage once his name was called at the draft.

He immediately was talking to Riewoldt on the phone.

"It was unbelievable - I walked out and they passed me a phone and I saw his face there,: McCartin said.

"He's one of the best forwards the game's ever seen so I'll go in there, be a bit of a pest, annoy him and learn as much as possible."...............................

Melbourne are going to seriously challenge in 3-4 years time IMO. Envious of the midfield they are building, it will spank the comp before you know it.... Good to see that things can turnaround I guess.

Told my wife about Petracca threatening to go to Collingwood later if we picked him, and she said, quick as a flash, "What like Ball?"

Yes, Love, just like Ball.

Greatest woman ever.

Melbourne are going to seriously challenge in 3-4 years time IMO. Envious of the midfield they are building, it will spank the comp before you know it.... Good to see that things can turnaround I guess.
Please, it's Melbourne - they'll either ruin them, or the players will ask to leave.

I wonder what the Doggies are thinking now? They had pick 6 & Griffin. They had to trade for Griffin as he wanted out. Not sure pick 4 & 7 was ever on the table, but let's assume they could have at least got pick 7. They could have landed Wright & Lever (my guess who they would take at 7), & probably another decent player from GWS to sweeten pick 7. Also would have saved themselves a truckload of coin.

You had want to hope that Boyd is a fricking superstar.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back