Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Anna Nicole Smith had sick puppies.
Oh the poor puppies!

001510286.jpg

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Congratulations on your drafting yesterday. I don't know much about any of your new recruits but agree with the strategy.

I was responding to a post in the 'Draft Winners and Losers' thread but I was getting a bit off topic and thought here might be a better place for it.

As for your query about a running type for wing or HBF for our depth ? well we have enough HBF players (that is one of our strengths in the player list)
I find it interesting hearing a port supporters perspective on this. I agree that you have a lot of HBF type players but none of them come with great resumes or have really proven themselves. Impey was an early draft pick but it is too early to judge with him. Guys like Pittard, Young, Stewart, Broadbent can do the job but in my opinion you are lacking quality back there. That being said, you are hardly likely to find any top end talent after pick 57 so I agree drafting talls was the best way to go as that is the other weakness I see in your list (one at either end).

I would also like to hear your opinion on Colquhoun. He seems to be getting a fair bit of media for a guy who was overlooked in the draft and has since played only 10 reasonably unspectacular games. What is making people think he can come in and play that HBF role well?

Pleas don't take any of the above too hard. I am only looking for your perspective, not trying to start a fight! Thanks guys.

I would also like to hear your opinion on Colquhoun. He seems to be getting a fair bit of media for a guy who was overlooked in the draft and has since played only 10 reasonably unspectacular games. What is making people think he can come in and play that HBF role well?

Colquhoun was touted as a top 30 pick during the leadup to the draft (Was also an Under 18's All Australian) and was over looked because the Under 18's SA coach played him as a spare man off half back with no opponent and the recruiters thought he couldn't defend.

The SA coach apologized for the misunderstanding after the draft and we picked him up with our first pick in the PSD. He may have only played 10 games games (3 of them being bad and 7 of them being good) but I also take into account his great form for Centrals/Port Magpies averaging nearly 30 touches a game as an 18 year old. Then he did his ACL and missed most of 2014. But I'm confident he can crack into the team soon because I believe he has a great future ahead of him.

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I find it interesting hearing a port supporters perspective on this. I agree that you have a lot of HBF type players but none of them come with great resumes or have really proven themselves. Impey was an early draft pick but it is too early to judge with him. Guys like Pittard, Young, Stewart, Broadbent can do the job but in my opinion you are lacking quality back there.

I think Pittard and Broadbent both proved themselves in the role in 2014. O'Shea is also a rebounding defender, and although he's close to our best lock down defender, Jonas is also very skilled when coming out of the back half. Impey is seemingly pencilled in for a small lock-down role, but we have seen how creative he can be with the ball in his hands.

Behind them, we have guys like Byrne-Jones, Flynn and Russell developing as half back / rebounding defenders.

So that's 8 names, without bringing "utility" guys like Paul Stewart into it.

Sure, none of them are A level players (yet - although Broadbent was rated as a top 30 player by Mike Sheahan at the end of this year), but adding another young defender in the draft doesn't really address anything in the short term. I'd say we're fairly confident in our stocks and the way they're tracking / progressing.

faquito

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Barcelona FC, Arsenal
I don't really see how our Half Back line was lacking in quality or yet to prove themselves since most of our gameplan/forward forays were generated from our defensive slingshot type play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 22, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like seeing that people outside of our supporter base still don't rate Broadbent, he's going to be a ripper Mike didn't rate him in the top 40 for no reason, if he was playing alongside Smith he'd be not far off being their best def/mid.

Whilst Pittard & O'Shea may still be developing they're going to be more than handy back flanker/wingmen for the foreseeable future & the other names mentioned make it one area we're well covered in.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Pittard and Broadbent both proved themselves in the role in 2014. O'Shea is also a rebounding defender, and although he's close to our best lock down defender, Jonas is also very skilled when coming out of the back half. Impey is seemingly pencilled in for a small lock-down role, but we have seen how creative he can be with the ball in his hands.

Behind them, we have guys like Byrne-Jones, Flynn and Russell developing as half back / rebounding defenders.

So that's 8 names, without bringing "utility" guys like Paul Stewart into it.

Sure, none of them are A level players (yet - although Broadbent was rated as a top 30 player by Mike Sheahan at the end of this year), but adding another young defender in the draft doesn't really address anything in the short term. I'd say we're fairly confident in our stocks and the way they're tracking / progressing.
I might have been a bit hard on Broadbent, he is more than serviceable and definitely the best of those players named.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Congratulations on your drafting yesterday. I don't know much about any of your new recruits but agree with the strategy.

I was responding to a post in the 'Draft Winners and Losers' thread but I was getting a bit off topic and thought here might be a better place for it.

I find it interesting hearing a port supporters perspective on this. I agree that you have a lot of HBF type players but none of them come with great resumes or have really proven themselves. Impey was an early draft pick but it is too early to judge with him. Guys like Pittard, Young, Stewart, Broadbent can do the job but in my opinion you are lacking quality back there. That being said, you are hardly likely to find any top end talent after pick 57 so I agree drafting talls was the best way to go as that is the other weakness I see in your list (one at either end).

Pleas don't take any of the above too hard. I am only looking for your perspective, not trying to start a fight! Thanks guys.

Great analysis mate. Our HBF's are interesting IMO because they are quickly becoming our weakest line(not as if they're getting worse but everywhere else is going gang busters). Pittard, Flynn and Impey have good ceilings but outside Pittard none have got the runs on the board. Stewart and Logan are only foot soldiers and won't be best 22. Broadbent and Oshea I still have massive queries of certain aspects of their play (ability to defend and rebound respectively)
Russell and ByrneJones would want to show improvement. So while we have a few of that type, none are really going to stand up and be a game changer. Colquhoun probably fits in this line too, capable of being a top end role player but not exactly top end quality and a point of difference. He's small and slow so really he's not going to be last line of defence unless it's as a loose man. He's more a winger that prefers to be behind the ball due to his fantastic reading of the play, he will need to improve to factor next season in our rapid improved team IMO but he's a solid prospect. One of Pittard, Impey and Broadbent really need to step up to the elite level probably easing the pressure on a couple other role players. IMO pittards the one... 60 odd games, top 3 1on1 defender at the club, elite pace, has some balls and a great kick (when everything is going right). There's a group there that you would back in to get it right, a couple at least. but improvement across that HBF is probably our largest scope for improvement. This is probably against what a lot of people on this board believe but it's an interesting part of the list.

Tl;dr lots of ok players, no superstars, have scope for improvement but need more from them.

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
We have Broadbent, O'Shea, Pittard, Impey, Colquhoun, Byrne-Jones and Sam Russell. Did we really need to add another name on the end of that depth chart? How many do you need? Obviously our premiership contention hinges on our 7th or 8th in line half back flanker.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have Broadbent, O'Shea, Pittard, Impey, Colquhoun, Byrne-Jones and Sam Russell. Did we really need to add another name on the end of that depth chart? How many do you need? Obviously our premiership contention hinges on our 7th or 8th in line half back flanker.

It's not really a depth problem more a quality. No it won't change our hopes with 7th over 6th best HBF playing, however the difference between our best 2 and our direct opponents in Burgoyne and Birchall may.

It's just right now the easiest way to improve our 22 is IMO through that backline.

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
What resources did we have to get a player who would improve our half back line, starting with the 56th pick? This thinking is 12 months behind. We drafted Byrne-Jones and Impey last year to address this issue, not to mention the guys already in the team who have or about to smash through the 50 game barrier.

EDIT: looking at posts above, I think we're thinking along the same lines with regard to internal development of these players. Can't have it all, we addressed the ruck/fwd issue with Ryder and we have to take our chances on these guys.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
None and I prefer the fact we went ruck, med fwd and KPD over a HBF but I think there's still a gap there. I have no problems with our drafting strategy it was fantastic, except arguably giving late end KPPs list spots possibly lasting 4 years. But as far as genuine list management goes Id say top grade HBF is our next gap one I would probably trade for not draft.

faquito

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Barcelona FC, Arsenal

faquito

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Barcelona FC, Arsenal
None and I prefer the fact we went ruck, med fwd and KPD over a HBF but I think there's still a gap there. I have no problems with our drafting strategy it was fantastic, except arguably giving late end KPPs list spots possibly lasting 4 years. But as far as genuine list management goes Id say top grade HBF is our next gap one I would probably trade for not draft.

Nakia Cockatoo 2017? :p

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Pittard, Broadbent and O'Shea are a pretty solid half back line going forward.

It wasn't a priority as I see it.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So how does everyone see our 22 improving, just gradual improvement from beneath and slowly pushing out others? Or by perhaps targeting a spot on the best 22 where we can improve rapidly?

AlbertonBloke

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My only concern is Ollie,are we putting to much on his shoulders for a young lad? I know he has taken everything we as a club and the opposition has thrown at him but I would hate to see him get hammered for the next 10 years. Is it a bad thing that one of our best inside midfielders is only in his 2nd season (and I dont think he has missed a game yet).And who else on our list could do his role as well as him. I'm just throwing it out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back