Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome aboard Blaine.

Carlton has obviously recognised that we need pace in the side NOW. That would explain why we picked a 21 y.o ahead of an 18 y.o (Lavarde). This bloke has been playing against men and should, if he shows enough in pre-season, slot straight in on a wing. As a 21 y.o he will also adjust better to a change of state and new accommodation than an 18 y.o.

Yes - they are highlight packages, but come on people - pace, skills, decision making and apparently a top class citizen. Trust in our recruiters - they've been looking at EVERY player for at least 12 months; they've watched them live and interviewed them. There is a reason they took this bloke so high.

Welcome aboard Blaine.

Carlton has obviously recognised that we need pace in the side NOW. That would explain why we picked a 21 y.o ahead of an 18 y.o (Lavarde). This bloke has been playing against men and should, if he shows enough in pre-season, slot straight in on a wing. As a 21 y.o he will also adjust better to a change of state and new accommodation than an 18 y.o.

Yes - they are highlight packages, but come on people - pace, skills, decision making and apparently a top class citizen. Trust in our recruiters - they've been looking at EVERY player for at least 12 months; they've watched them live and interviewed them. There is a reason they took this bloke so high.

My first reaction was WTF? Laverde's still on the board.

Happy to reserve judgement though as:
- a lot of very good judges obviously rate him
- fills an immediate need
- appears ready-made

Put it this way: instead of pick 7 we've ended up with two mids who should be able to contribute straight away and a potentially elite KPP. Not bad at all.
add DVR who can obviously play, the mini wrecking ball in Smith, a somewhat speculative KPP in Foster the new Mr Potential in Jones and this off-season ain't bad.

I know nothing about any of the draftees. In principle I do not support mature-agers with the first pick, particularly when there are "top 10ers" sliding down the order. But that said, Bratwurst's highlight package shows some really handy skills. Kicking looked great. Hope he goes great for us!

One can and should always separate whether we agree/disagree with the selection and whether we support/want the guy to succeed. Now he's a Blue, I want hmi to be a gun!

I know nothing about any of the draftees. In principle I do not support mature-agers with the first pick, particularly when there are "top 10ers" sliding down the order. But that said, Bratwurst's highlight package shows some really handy skills. Kicking looked great. Hope he goes great for us!

One can and should always separate whether we agree/disagree with the selection and whether we support/want the guy to succeed. Now he's a Blue, I want hmi to be a gun!

This

What a tosser and a coward. If he had any guts he would've taken the best young kid and made a small gamble that Blain would be there at 28.

You're upset because we got Boekhorst and then DVR.

I agree with you........we should have taken DVR @ #19 and Boekhorst @ #28.........That would have changed everything :)

blainetweet.jpg

Welcome Blaine, Look forward to seeing what you can do to win us a our next premiership cup.

By the way, loved the tweet, suggest you get rid of that top knot thou.

oh and block Big Footy from your internet browser dont want you to lose your confidence.

Good luck with your career it is in your hands now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might've been available of pick 28. But whose to say we rated La Verde higher then DVR? Perhaps Rogers knew DVR had more chance of sliding through to pick 28 then BB. And we ended up with both players we rated higher then La Verde.

Dodoro's comment that they took Langford before LaVerde to upset Carltons plans was interesting.
WTF?!?

That will make the kid feel welcome 'we only picked you to screw someone over ...... but welcome anyway'.

Is this guy insane?

Dodoro's comment that they took Langford before LaVerde to upset Carltons plans was interesting.

He said that? o_O

Either meaningless banter or a baffling approach to take into the draft, timing your picks to inconvenience a rival club. (How would he know what our "plans" were anyway?)

Either way, what an A-grade knob (like everyone at that club).

Not surprised we took Blaine as the mail was strong for a little while that we were very heavily into him.

Hearing his name read out at 19 was somewhat of a surprise as I expected him to be taken at 28 and I thought we'd be going with the 'slider' in Laverde at that earlier selection.

Having said that I'm not particularly disappointed as the recruiting staff have clearly done their homework on all these players and they've selected who they believe will be the best fit for Carlton.

That may or may not eventuate and become a reality but that's no different to any other recruiter in the business who really have an incredibly difficult job in front of them,

From very limited viewing Blaine looks to have everything we'd be looking for in a new draftee - particularly pace and skill. Forget the words of wisdom from BF's 'recruiting experts' - watch the highlights packages and Blaine looks every bit as good as many picked in his vicinity and even before him.

Good luck to Blaine who faces a huge task with him already appearing to be a whipping boy particularly for those who think they know better after having read a few mock drafts and watched a few highlights videos on Youtube. Here's hoping his first act in a Carlton jumper is a good one otherwise the bronx cheers will unfortunately appear very quickly.

It's very amusing that some people consider this to be a quick fix despite Blaine being just 21 years old. No reason why he can't have a 10 year career ahead of him if he develops as we hope he might. That's not a quick fix.

Best of luck Blaine and welcome to Carlton. :thumbsu:

For more information on Blaine please head to the following thread which has a heap of articles on our new recruit:

Blaine Boekhorst

Yeah seems noone knew what they were talking about - but Nat was the only one to call our picks before the draft as they were. Back Rogers in.

What is it about our recruiting over the past 5-10 years that gives you all the confidence to say "back our recruiters in"? Was it getting Bootsma? Lucas? When did we last get a first round draft pick right, outside of the sliding Menzel?

And Murphy Gibbs don't count in discussions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back