Welcome to the Club pick 46 Western Bulldogs Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be interesting to see him lining up in the midfield with Bontempelli and Macare two of the tallest midfielder's in the game. Nearly a 30cm difference between him and Bontempelli, the opposition will get a sore neck from looking up and down.

Congratulations guys on picking Caleb Daniel. He would have been on most club's list somewhere, but you guys took the punt first so really hope it works out for you. He's bound to become a fan favourite.

I watched him a bit this year with South Adelaide. Wasn't expecting much - how much impact could an undersized rookie midfielder have playing against men? I saw a footballers' footballer.

- he gets his own ball in and around the clearances
- good evasive skills
- really creative distribution; in fact, he was too quick-thinking for some of his team-mates at times. He'd get the ball, look around while weaving through traffic, go to handball and the other player wasn't ready/expecting a handball.

He's not an express outside receiver. The player he reminds me of is Greg Williams. Gets the ball in traffic, excellent two-sided distribution to bring others into the game, doesn't burn the ball, can go all day.

The main concern recruiters probably had was: 'can he compete against bigger bodied midfielders'. (If he was bigger he would've been top 10 for sure).

He'll no doubt need to earn his spot through the VFL and it could take a year or two before he gets a chance. But I think you guys have got a player you will really enjoy supporting.

Congratulations guys on picking Caleb Daniel. He would have been on most club's list somewhere, but you guys took the punt first so really hope it works out for you. He's bound to become a fan favourite.

I watched him a bit this year with South Adelaide. Wasn't expecting much - how much impact could an undersized rookie midfielder have playing against men? I saw a footballers' footballer.

- he gets his own ball in and around the clearances
- good evasive skills
- really creative distribution; in fact, he was too quick-thinking for some of his team-mates at times. He'd get the ball, look around while weaving through traffic, go to handball and the other player wasn't ready/expecting a handball.

He's not an express outside receiver. The player he reminds me of is Greg Williams. Gets the ball in traffic, excellent two-sided distribution to bring others into the game, doesn't burn the ball, can go all day.

The main concern recruiters probably had was: 'can he compete against bigger bodied midfielders'. (If he was bigger he would've been top 10 for sure).

He'll no doubt need to earn his spot through the VFL and it could take a year or two before he gets a chance. But I think you guys have got a player you will really enjoy supporting.

Thanks for the feedback boffo. :thumbsu:

I was pleased that we selected the kid but also surprised given that we've seemed to be favouring very tall mids lately. He seems the type to just find a way to succeed despite being vertically challenged according to other reports.

Thanks for the feedback boffo. :thumbsu:

I was pleased that we selected the kid but also surprised given that we've seemed to be favouring very tall mids lately. He seems the type to just find a way to succeed despite being vertically challenged according to other reports.

Well you're a good equal opportunity employer. No short-ism at the kennel!

In all seriousness, they used to say Aussie Rules was a game for all shapes and sizes. True, the trend is towards tall midfielders and if Daniel doesn't make it we may not be able to say that anymore.

You are right to be optimistic; he has already shown as an 18 year old that he can get the footy against men in the SANFL. The other thing I expect is he'll turn out to be the type of player who plays better when surrounded by better players who are as equally skilled and quick-thinking as him. Playing in the U18 state team he played 3 blinders and made the all-Australian team. I think his disposal efficiency in these games (the only 3 he played) was a ridiculous 95-98%. He was playing with other high-level players who knew when and where to move to receive from him.

Great pick up. Saw him play against West Adelaide this year and was impressed. Bit of class about him and as boffo said above "quick-thinking".

The good thing is he exploits his lack of height. Hits the ball at high speeds in congestion because he's close to the ground and moves in a way others can't for gravity reasons

Good pickup - saw him play for South several times in 2014, including in finals.

Great user of the ball, don't think his lack of size will be an issue, indeed as someone noted he uses it to his advantage and is consequently hard to tackle. As he won't need a lot of bulking up no reason to suggest he can't play seniors next year.

Also does anyone know why he wears the helmet? Is it by choice or does he have concussion issues.
I imagine at that height his head cops a fair pounding - draft watchers all note that despite his size he wins his own ball.

Really pumped we got him. Will be a gun. Have no issue with his height. Apparently would go top 5 if he was taller but he has great hands and speed and uses it well. Exciting times. Allows Hrovat and Dal to play higher up.

i reckon Caleb gets his chance as a HFF - work hard into space and use the pill well. i see him as a gia replacement.
Hrovat as a genuine midfielder - Sam Mitchell style.
Luke D as a small FP 80% and rotation midfielder 20%.

Also does anyone know why he wears the helmet? Is it by choice or does he have concussion issues.
Apparently when he first started playing it was one of his mum's provisos (sensible really). Now it's second nature to him and like "pulling on (his) footy socks."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was mentioned in the article I posted on page 2. His Mum wanted him to wear one when was playing under nines and hes just stuck with it ever since.

Watching the highlights his kicking really sticks out to me, hits targets and smart ball-use.
He's also not lightning quick but uses his pace well, seems to get into open space easily.
Gonna be a cult figure.

I am glad someone gave Caleb a chance as his football
talent cannot be denied, but i was a big fan of young
Eli Templeton last year until he had his armed snapped
in half and he was 181 cm and 73 kg.People wear a
helmet for a reason, good luck son.

OK, silence please. I have an important announcement to make.

<<clears throat>> Hrrmph.

I'd like to report ... the inauguration of the CHURCH OF DANIEL! Hallelujah brothers and sisters!

This is no BS. The first hymn has already been written, performed and recorded on YouTube. It relates how there was divine intervention in getting Caleb to the kennel after we was on the point of being picked up by Brisbane and Richmond.

Apparently - as we speak - Garlo and Gordon are deliberating whether to replace "Sons of the West" with this rousing hymn as our club song.

I'm in.

Saw this being wheeled in through the Pound Cafe this morning lads. Dont worry. Our fitness guys have Caleb all sorted.
94231_bf0884908cd9c47f4abfd03807b4a9e8.jpg

Attachments

• Medieval-Torture-Rack.jpg
    Medieval-Torture-Rack.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 6
Know him personally, great kid. Surprised he didn't go earlier and is seriously a gun. My claim to fame is lining up on him in under 12's back in the day. Great step forward for your club, don't worry about the height because he will definitely make up for it in talent. Awesome get Doggies :thumbsu:

Was it last year you lined up on him?

Seriously watching the highlights I just love how he attacks the ball. Hopefully he can prove the doubters wrong and show that skill over size matters more.

As far as I know his mother was concerned about his height from a young age so she made him wear it when he went out to play. Has just become a part of his kit since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back