Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a bit late into his rehab for the trip to have the same benefits it had for Tex. No doubt it wouldn't hurt but I believe Tex went a fair bit earlier in his rehab and anything he would have learned from it he would have slowly been able to bring into his training as he progressed. Everything suggests Lever is at the end of his rehab given the running he's been doing.

As for those people wanting him to play round 1, keep in mind he hasn't played footy for 12 months. While his fitness may be reasonable (think Noosa triathlon) his game conditioning would be non-existent. Playing against men in the SANFL will be a good step up from TAC cup level initially.

In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake have the same kind of impact on our playing group that Selwood had when he arrived at Geelong. He is a born leader and I wouldn't be surprised to see him push his way into our best 22 by mid-season.

While I don't expect the club will rush him into the 22, especially considering his ACL, I suspect Jake may force himself into the 22. Lever's are good at breaking into things ;)

Yep I've been banging on about this for a while now. I have been of the strong opinion that if we selected Lever that we should also have selected another KPD like Keenan Ramsey, Daniel Howe or Oscar MacDonald.

This would have all but guaranteed the luxury of using Lever as the 3rd tall or even a tall mid. We are now relying on Hartigan or Siggins to cement the 2nd KPD position if we want the flexibility with Lever. There's a chance we might still select a KPD (Ramsey perhaps) in the rookie draft I suppose.
Davis

I don't normally get too excited about draftees or the typical 'we had him 15 spots higher' that seems to be attached to a lot of our picks. But this one is different, we've taken the punt on genuine top level talent whose dropped due to a knee reco. I'm excited about the kid, but I'm also excited about the fact we've accepted some risk. Whether it comes off remains to be seen, but I'll always be happy about the decision itself.
Agree, these are the sort of risked decisions we'll have to take to recover from the draft sanctions. If he works out, then along with CC and MC our recruiting team may have dug us out of a massive hole.

Agreed, for mine he seems like the kind of guy you don't want to tie down with a predominantly shut down role. Similar to a Gibson, Scarlett or Basset/Hart type, I think you want him as a 3rd tall.

IMO a good 3rd tall is much harder to find than a good KPD, there's plenty of okay 3rd talls, we should know, we've had our fair share. But forsomeone who's Athletic, a good size, with good skills and understands both the offensive and defensive sides of the game, I think we develop him as a 3rd tall.

Makes Cheneys role in the team very interesting...

Actually drafted both Lever and Wigg really shakes up our defensive prospects.

lets not go overboard.
The fact that our recruiters said that to a TAC Cup coach prior to the draft and not the media after the draft has to count for something. This isnt grandstanding to the fans, it's a private comment to a coach. As such I'm way more inclined to believe it.

My take on that quote is we rated Jake the most talented player in this draft pool, and yet we "would've taken him at pick 8" as ogilvie said yesterday because his injury and lack of game time made him more of a risk then the 7 we rated ahead of him.

I don't get all this "will he be ready for round 1"/"no save him for later in the year because of his ACL"/"he needs to fill out before he plays".

Surely if he shows a bit in pre-season training he will make the squad for the early pre-season games before everyone is fully up and running. If he shows a bit in those games, he will be in contention for round 1. If it's clear that he's not up to it, he will go back to the SANFL until he is.

We don't need to name our round 1 side tomorrow.

We miss out on 2 years of 1st round draft picks and when we are allowed back in we deliberately drop that pick 4 spots and then choose a kid who has just come off of a knee reco. Hell of risk. If in 5 years time it has come off they will be looked at as geniuses.

Btw by the sounds of it, this kid has exactly the sort of attributes that I love, apart from the knee.

Sounds like we have the next Harry Taylor on our hands here....:D

Let's hope he continues down this path and stays away from any nasty knee injuries!

Edit: Sorry Skippos, went back on some of your profiles and realised that this is exactly what you said haha

The fact that our recruiters said that to a TAC Cup coach prior to the draft and not the media after the draft has to count for something. This isnt grandstanding to the fans, it's a private comment to a coach. As such I'm way more inclined to believe it.

My take on that quote is we rated Jake the most talented player in this draft pool, and yet we "would've taken him at pick 8" as ogilvie said yesterday because his injury and lack of game time made him more of a risk then the 7 we rated ahead of him.

I reckon you may be right. My other take on it is that maybe he was our number 1 target with us knowing we wanted to get one of the gun key defenders and he was the one we rated highest of all of those (unless one of the really top mids slid unexpectedly which they knew was unlikely- based on the 'would have taken him at 8' comment then basically any of the mids taken top 7 perhaps)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to have the perfect attitude, but does anyone know how he did in the agility test at the Draft combine as that would give a good indication of how his knee is recovering?

Skippos ?

Walsh on 5AA said he was pleased that Lever has done boxing, likes that in a player.
I like a coach who likes that in a player. Love Phil. Even if we don't win a flag in the next 5 years with Phil as coach, you know the administration did every thing it could ti try and make us successful. Nice change from the previous administration.

Rapt in this selection, given he has no further problems with his knee we have a top 3 talent at pick 14, captained the Vic Metro U18's team in 2013 when not yet 17 goes to this lads leadership and undoubted first class character, absolutely stoked!! :thumbsu: :rainbow:

For once I disagree with you Faith...
Let's go overboard on Lever!
Never been more certain of a pick since dare I say..... sellar

He will certainly be high up in our draft game this year

gun player but surely we didnt rate him 1 or 2 in the draft.
anyway exactly what we need with talia best defensive combo in afl

gun player but surely we didnt rate him 1 or 2 in the draft.
anyway exactly what we need with talia best defensive combo in afl
Well could've gone top 3 if it wasn't for the ACL.

I interpreted that line about “we would have taken him at 8” as a reference to Peter Wright, who was taken at that pick. The day before on the same radio program, Ogilvy had mentioned that they rated Wright as one of the top few players of the draft, which Rowie then made a big deal out of. The point was not that we would have taken all 7 guys drafted from picks 1 to 7 this year ahead of Lever, but that we rated Lever even higher than Wright, who we had publicly stated was “right at the top of our list”.

I could be way off, but that was how I read it, and it’s supported by the quote from Lever’s TAC coach, and CC, whose mail was 100% correct about us taking Lever if he slid.

i don't believe that.
rated 8th according to hamish sounds about right?
The way I interpreted Hamish's comments was that it was a throw away line when he said they would have taken him 8. He might not have wanted to reveal his real ranking for fear that it would come off as another recruiter saying they got the best player in the draft at their pick.

If he was fit, he has all the attributes to be a top draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back