Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't believe this. I really thought he would pull through. It makes you realise how stupid things are in life, the things you worry about, the things that trouble you. This is just tragic. It makes me feel sick. I can't imagine how his family and friends feel. RIP Phil Hughes.

I kept thinking like Schumacher he'd make it. Shocked. So so sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

That said, this happens more than you would think. People go into work for an ordinary day and unfortunately die on the job. Usually its construction or manufacturing, but now days you don't really expect it with any but a handful of job types. Is always a sickening shock.

cricket.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

I'm not going to look them up because I don't need to get angry this early in the day, but this underlines why he needs that support so badly at the moment.

For all the lovely sentiments being expressed here and by cricket fans and people in general in regards to Abbott...there's always one.

There is always one moron out there who will do their best to tarnish it. And just one has the potential to undo all the good the support Abbott has got and will get.

There are a minority of people who are just irretrievably s**t.
Thousands of people can tell Abbott that he has done no wrong but all it takes is one nut to say 'it's your fault' and that ruins everything.

Nice story in the paper today about the Shield final when Hughes hit 100 and Katich turned to him and said, "One day there will two wogs opening the batting for Australia". Cricket unites people like that, it's transcendental, it doesn't matter where you're from, if you can play a cover drive or bowl over the wrist spin or understand the LBW law, you're part of the family and that's why people the world over are hurting for Philip Hughes and his family.

The gestures are wonderful. Only met him once which was when he was 19 playing for NSW, had a drink with him after play. Just a genuinely lovely country guy who always put others first. That was the thing that stood out. He scored quite a few runs that day but all he wanted to talk about were others. He will definately be missed. The positive is he has left a wonderful legacy, and passed away doing what he loved.

I don't have a big bat, having not played cricket for a couple of years now, but have left out one of my smaller bats today.

Cricket will recover and be stronger and that is what Phil would have wanted.

Nice story in the paper today about the Shield final when Hughes hit 100 and Katich turned to him and said, "One day there will two wogs opening the batting for Australia". Cricket unites people like that, it's transcendental, it doesn't matter where you're from, if you can play a cover drive or bowl over the wrist spin or understand the LBW law, you're part of the family and that's why people the world over are hurting for Philip Hughes and his family.

thought more would be made of that quote after the shield final. but it was probably lost in all the celebrations etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he half italian? I assumed because of the eyes and earrings

When I got home I had put this song on:

Before opening the news and finding out about Hughes...

I know Fall Out Boy are not the most widespread group that people listen to but this song will remind me now of a man cricket lost far far to early.

To be fair, I can understand that to an outsider to the game, a bouncer would seem like a dangerous and unnecessary thing to do and the bowler could be blamed.

For us we know that its always been part of the game and is a key part of the balance between bat and ball and anybody could have bowled that ball.

So maybe rather than getting angry and flying off the handle, try explaining that and that the skill and courage needed to face short bowling is a huge part of what makes good batsman and that this was just a freak accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back