List Mgmt. Welcome Liam Duggan Pick 11 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I was arguing that Duggan knew we were taking him before yesterday, so with the argument being we chose Duggan because Cockatoo was gone. We would only have known Cockatoo was likely to go before us on the day as he was a late invitee. I believe we had told Duggan prior to knowing anything about Cockatoo, basically we got our first choice.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

I was arguing that Duggan knew we were taking him before yesterday, so with the argument being we chose Duggan because Cockatoo was gone. We would only have known Cockatoo was likely to go before us on the day as he was a late invitee. I believe we had told Duggan prior to knowing anything about Cockatoo, basically we got our first choice.

You came to that conclusion simply from this?

“I’d heard a few rumours that West Coast were interested,” Duggan said from the Gold Coast Convention Centre

I'd hardly say he knew. The next quote is him saying he "hoped" we'd call his name out.

You came to that conclusion simply from this?

“I’d heard a few rumours that West Coast were interested,” Duggan said from the Gold Coast Convention Centre

I'd hardly say he knew. The next quote is him saying he "hoped" we'd call his name out.

Not at all.

It's mainly my own opinion based on a few things I've heard, the above being one.

I did say it earlier on in the week that we aren't taking Cockatoo.

Not at all.

It's mainly my own opinion based on a few things I've heard, the above being one.

Get a load of captain hindsight over here. You've been hosing down talks of Cockatoo for a while though Pants, i think maybe you just hoped we didn't ;)

Get a load of captain hindsight over here. You've been hosing talks down of Cockatoo for a while though Pants, i think maybe you just hoped we didn't ;)

I think my track record speaks for itself.:cry:

According to this board every player who is slower than Jetta is a plodder.

And the term vanilla is used to describe any West Coast player who isn't quick.
Don't worry about technique, leadership skills or footy smarts, they mean nothing, it's all about pace!
Exactly,being able to play footy is also important or you end up with the Ash Smiths of this world.

Exactly,being able to play footy is also important or you end up with the Ash Smiths of this world.

I though we actually looked fairly quick in the later part of the season when Schuey and Gaff started having more impact. Ball movement was more an issue than leg speed

For those who haven't seen - here's his highlight package.

Kicking is beautiful.

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=695791

Really nice highlight package. Great kick, good mark, good vision, chooses right options. Whilst not super quick, he appears quick enough. Seems to have time and space. Was on his own a lot. Team mates look for him to dish off to. Some nice reading of the play and taps. Gets forward and kicks goals. Something we really need.

Overall I'm excited with this pick.

Thought I'd repost my brief analysis of highlights from Western Jets games in here:

"I just discovered that the Western Jets have highlights of basically every game they played this year.
These are interesting highlights to watch in regards to our pick because Laverde (#9), Duggan (#4) and Manadue (#15) all play for the Western Jets.
Having watched these highlights my preference would be Liam Duggan for our selection.
Here's why:

@ 1:18 Liam does his best to mimic Sam Mitchell around the contest. His sidestep is important and his handball executions are timed perfectly.
@ 1:34 Liam shrugs and accelerates at the same time creating space to kick a goal.
@ 2:44 Liam kept his feet at the important time, controlled the bouncing ball, accelerated from congestion and steadied to kick the goal.

@ 1:03 Liam keeps the ball in front of himself and controls the tackle put on him so he can hit his teammate with the handpass.
@ 2:25 Liam receives a handball with incoming pressure but shrugs the player while only observing him in his peripheral vision.

@ 1:30 Liam contests on the ground and picks the ball up cleanly and steps through two opposition players, feints slightly to wrong-foot another and then shoots at goal.
@ 2:24 Liam is confronted by a much larger opposition player but executes a great tackle that earns him a HTB decision.

@ 1:30 Liam goes to ground to retrieve the ball in a contest. Flicking a handball inside he then follows up to create a goal for the Jets.
@ 1:47 Liam reads the centre clearance contest to perfection.
There are numerous other examples of his clearance work and goals but I think some people are misunderstanding his role. He is not a back flanker, he's a midfielder and could do wonders for a team who need a good decision maker in traffic."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd repost my brief analysis of highlights from Western Jets games in here:

"I just discovered that the Western Jets have highlights of basically every game they played this year.
These are interesting highlights to watch in regards to our pick because Laverde (#9), Duggan (#4) and Manadue (#15) all play for the Western Jets.
Having watched these highlights my preference would be Liam Duggan for our selection.
Here's why:

@ 1:18 Liam does his best to mimic Sam Mitchell around the contest. His sidestep is important and his handball executions are timed perfectly.
@ 1:34 Liam shrugs and accelerates at the same time creating space to kick a goal.
@ 2:44 Liam kept his feet at the important time, controlled the bouncing ball, accelerated from congestion and steadied to kick the goal.

@ 1:03 Liam keeps the ball in front of himself and controls the tackle put on him so he can hit his teammate with the handpass.
@ 2:25 Liam receives a handball with incoming pressure but shrugs the player while only observing him in his peripheral vision.

@ 1:30 Liam contests on the ground and picks the ball up cleanly and steps through two opposition players, feints slightly to wrong-foot another and then shoots at goal.
@ 2:24 Liam is confronted by a much larger opposition player but executes a great tackle that earns him a HTB decision.

@ 1:30 Liam goes to ground to retrieve the ball in a contest. Flicking a handball inside he then follows up to create a goal for the Jets.
@ 1:47 Liam reads the centre clearance contest to perfection.
There are numerous other examples of his clearance work and goals but I think some people are misunderstanding his role. He is not a back flanker, he's a midfielder and could do wonders for a team who need a good decision maker in traffic."

Wow - third video at 1:30 - that was pure class.

I think his development will surprise us all next year.

Definitely is footy smart, has a tonne of class, composure and elite skills.

Not at all.

Didn't someone say we didn't expect Cockatoo to be available and would be taken before our pick?

Duggan might have always been Plan B?

Didn't someone say we didn't expect Cockatoo to be available and would be taken before our pick?

Duggan might have always been Plan B?

The Cockatoo to Geelong thing happened last minute. He simply bolted.

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion. Know Duggan personally and can tell you he's a great bloke and will be a very good player (stands up in big moments) and although I'm bias I believe he can be a top five player out of this draft as he has the potential to have a very strong inside game to go with his elite skills. By drafting Lamb, Nielson and less noticeably Cavka you shouldn't need to worry about any potential home sickness issues seeing as they already know each other and get along from their time in the AIS program and should enjoy their time in the west.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Liam Duggan. Like others have said it seems a Simpsonesque pick. The kid is real captaincy material but

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion. Know Duggan personally and can tell you his a great bloke and will be a very good player (stands up in big moments) and although I'm bias I believe he can be a top five player out of this draft as he has the potential to have a very strong inside game to good with his elite skills. By drafting Lamb, Nielson and less noticeably Cavka you shouldn't need to worry about any potential home sickness issues seeing as they already know each other and get along from their time in the AIS program and should enjoy their time in the west.
Great post! Much appreciated

It's the 'peak' which worries me with some of these players. The peak could very well be permanent B grade like Masten and Selwood.

For what it's worth, i expect both Sheed and Duggan to play most of the year in the WAFL. Unless our midfielders get hurt, we haven't really got a recent track record of exposing young rookies. I haven't got high expectations for any of them to be honest.

Lambs potential freakish ability and his 193cm frame is what i'm excited about.
Good to see your excited about something

Read the Lamb thread, you turnip. I'm a big fan of that pick.
I posted this before reading your review on Lamb, my apologies for not researching every post you have ever written for fear of slitting my wrists at the continuously positive posts I have read from you over the years (bar the one on lamb).

I posted this before reading your review on Lamb, my apologies for not researching every post you have ever written for fear of slitting my wrists at the continuously positive posts I have read from you over the years (bar the one on lamb).

That's okay, you made a mistake and i forgive you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back