Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
The funeral is going to be in Macksville next week, no way that 4-5 of the Australians will be any fit state to play in the Test. Not right to put a 2nd XI on the ground. This is a one of situation, the Test will just have to be scrapped .
Doesnt have to be that test, it could be the second or even wait for the Sydney test.

How do you know?
He wouldn't want to be gifted a spot. Nor would he want to rob someone else of a spot for charity. Everyone said any time he got dropped he sincerely wished his replacement the best and wanted them to succeed.

Doesnt have to be that test, it could be the second or even wait for the Sydney test.

Even more ridiculous. There have been some good ideas but think for a second...would PHIL and his family want the team to play with 10.

There are other ways to celebrate his life.

Even Google are getting in on the act.
B3gJC4TCYAAmOwz.png

The reaction to this has only reinforced my love for the game and the people who love it as well.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
The reaction to this has only reinforced my love for the game and the people who love it as well.

Indeed, trolls yell the loudest so always get some attention but really from this forum to the wider cricket community it's been amazing the compassion shown, i never got to meet hughes but i am mourning him like i would a mate and it feels like im doing that here with my mates even though i haven't ever met any of you guys.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
geee listening to ryan fitzgerald there was hard.

It's not even close to sinking in. Everywhere you see the name Phillip Hughes, you see the numbers 1988 and 2014. On Monday the talk of the cricketing world was who would we be picking in the test. On Thursday there is a funeral being planned. In honesty it just does not make any sense.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will definitely be heading to the Boxing Day test now. Only feels right
This is the first time I was going to skip the Adelaide Test for years. Will definitely be there now. Hopefully we can get 40k to the first day to remember Phillip. Looks like I will be able to get to the SCG as well.

I was teaching in a Catholic primary school today and at the end of the day we asked for special prayers, more to fill in time than anything.

First kid I came to said 'Lord I hope you help the cricketer who died have a good birthday in Heaven. Lord hear us.'

Not a believer myself but I fair welled up.

RIP.

to think he was roundly bagged here during last years tour.
It's as Nasser articulated really well. People, especially last Ashes, lost site of what the game of cricket is about. Thankfully, as slight as the comfort may be, this is reminding us that the game is played by gentlemen (and ladies) and not brutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funeral is going to be in Macksville next week, no way that 4-5 of the Australians will be any fit state to play in the Test. Not right to put a 2nd XI on the ground. This is a one of situation, the Test will just have to be scrapped .

It is becoming increasing clear that the Gabba test should be cancelled and the test be shortened to a 3 match series. It is pretty simple. I know there is money involved but people come first IMO.

63 not out, an elegy for Philip Hughes

They said that time was on your side,
Alas that isn't true.
A cover drive, a cut through point,
No more shall we see from you.
You brought the crowd onto their feet,
We stood and cheered your deeds.

Philip Hughes you're gone to soon,
Our sorrow is immense.
With heavy hearts we fare thee well,
It's time to say goodbye,
Forever in our soul you'll be,
A spirit in the sky.

Last edited:
This is the first time I was going to skip the Adelaide Test for years. Will definitely be there now. Hopefully we can get 40k to the first day to remember Phillip. Looks like I will be able to get to the SCG as well.
Yep, I usually go to everyday of the Adelaide Test and thought I wouldn't go this year because I couldn't afford the tickets. Will be doing absolutely everything to get to that first day though.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
My heart sank when I heard what Fitzy said. Beautiful, beautiful words.

Then it sunk again when I saw the footage of Chadd Sayers and Tim Ludeman place down flowers at the Adelaide Oval.

Still can't believe this has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back