Discussion on Pick #43 - Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please tell me was this guy in any phantom drafts?
surely at pick 43 there were other options?
So you assess our recruiting team based on what the Phantom drafters think?? I would hope that you would have some confidence with our recruiting team. You know that at pick 43 there were thousands of options....and out of those Big Footy posters would have hundreds of choices but our recruiting team picked what their best pick was in their opinion.

This is an interesting pick. I guess they felt the need to replace Johnston and from what I hear, the Crow's WA recruiters were really raving about him. He has that athletic third tall forward component about him that most clubs seem to like as the third tall option. I don't want to say anything more because I hardly know anything about him. The only thing I can say is I hope passing on Caleb Daniel for him doesn't come back to haunt the Crows.

Caleb was an interesting target, one of the SA recruiters for an AFL club didn't even rate Caleb as a rookie listed player. Some guys simply write someone off because of height no matter what they do.

Anyway, I don't get the feeling he's going to be pushing Lynch out of the team in a hurry, especially with JPOD, Walker and Jacobs also running around.

I like the fact he's 20. Means we've got a better read on who he is
Good point & more likely to be able to play if needed at least for a few games ... considering the concern over our 3rd talls - Otten injured for 2015, Shaw usually injured, Lynch coming off an injury-riddled year, Cheney new & Hendo not a 3rd tall.

IMO a great pick at 43 .......limited fitness and gametime over last couple of seasons

Very agile, great physique and has a leap on him ........question; since Burton how many of our players actually leap at the ball rather than try & outbody?

I LOVE players who jump at the ball ......it adds a degree of uncertainty as if the marks not taken it spills for the small ones

I understand the Burton comparison ......but in my mind physique and marking wise i see him as being a Jack Darling clone ......is that a bad thing? ..NO

Good point & more likely to be able to play if needed at least for a few games ... considering the concern over our 3rd talls - Otten injured for 2015, Shaw usually injured, Lynch coming off an injury-riddled year, Cheney new & Hendo not a 3rd tall.
Interesting on the draft files that Lynch was originally thought of by Adelaide as a big midfielder

Interesting on the draft files that Lynch was originally thought of by Adelaide as a big midfielder
I think he can play as a tall midfielder as has the running capacity or 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still waiting for Andy Otten to start going through our first mid rotations...

Unfortunately that was "tried" and "failed".

Sadly they tried it in his first game back from Knee reco, he failed, just like he did as a 3rd tall that year and Craigy wrote him off completely. Sando never entertained it, desire I suspect efforts from Ogilvy.

It's often forgotten that Otten spent his entire 1st year at Sth Adelaide as a mid, played some bloody good footy there too.

The move has also suffered from the fact that we've been over stocked with mids and understocked with half decent tall defenders.

Unfortunately that was "tried" and "failed".

Sadly they tried it in his first game back from Knee reco, he failed, just like he did as a 3rd tall that year and Craigy wrote him off completely. Sando never entertained it, desire I suspect efforts from Ogilvy.

It's often forgotten that Otten spent his entire 1st year at Sth Adelaide as a mid, played some bloody good footy there too.

The move has also suffered from the fact that we've been over stocked with mids and understocked with half decent tall defenders.

With Talia, Lever, Cheney and hopefully Hartigan, Siggins and a fit Shaw providing defensive options (plus maybe even another mature KPD from rookie draft), I fear Otten will never get back as a first choice defender. Surely, if we are honest, we could see he was pretty average in his last stint.

Sure, he's had 2 reco's but if there is a slim chance of his career progressing I'd love him to get as fit as buggery and transform himself into a Watson/Kennedy style midfielder. Bickley has repeatedly gone on about our midfield lacking a big frame to support Dangerfield…maybe, just maybe, Otten is the sleeping giant!

We saw when he went forward he has an ability to find space despite lack of speed, has good game smarts, OK skills though his handballing is poor (maybe the short range pack stuff would be ok). I could see him floating through the midfield collecting possessions, kicking long range goals, and also taking 3rd man up style marks helping in defence (but not getting humiliated by a direct opponent). Could rotate roles with Lynch.

C'mon Walshy…save Otten's career and make him a midfielder!

Big chance of failure given his injuries but I believe he would be a better big-bodied mid than a KPD…i never wanna see that again.
Otten is too slow and goes to ground too easily to do either.

can't see a spot for him when he gets back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back