Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Just a bit too raw and an extra week will help enormously. It will still be very emotional no matter when the Aussies play next.

Yes I like your post. Sure no time will ever be enough. But health care professionals will tell you at least the first 72 hours is somewhat sadly a surreal experience and I can only imagine that will be amplified by the funeral. No one is saying cancel the series, just that time needs to be afforded to everyone including the Indians as well.

I hate the word surreal, but that's how it feels. You don't go out to bat and never come home ffs. None of this makes sense and it hurts, badly.
Surreal is the perfect word my friend.

I am still trying to digest it all. I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that it isn't just a bad dream.

Well known people die often and sadly, like Phil, some do so far too early.

But to me, this is different. Deeper. More personal.

Not because I knew Phil Hughes, or idolized him.

I think it's because I've had a lifelong love affair with cricket. Followed it for 45 years and played it for over 25. It's allured me, and frustrated me, teased me and tested me. It's brought out both the best in me and (sadly) the worst in me.

I've had tremendous highs both playing and following this game and the associated lows as well.

But now I've seen someone lose their life at the crease. Someone young, someone talented (although the talent level is irrelevant to me to be honest) and someone with so much ahead of him.

I'm not used to cricket claiming a life. I'm struggling to deal with it and process it. It doesn't seem real, it doesn't seem possible.

For heaven's sake, cricket doesn't kill people.

The real pain is being felt by those close to Phil Hughes. His family, his friends. Those who loved him and deeply cared about him.

So it's not about me. I have only written the above to try to explain what a strange, sad and confusing place this has thrown me into. Somewhere I can't recall being before in my life.

I'm really struggling to be interested in the game at present. Or discussion about the game. Or even discussion about Phil's passing or its ramifications.

I don't know if I can view the game of cricket in quite the same way ever again.

Last edited:
Very very sad.. Still a bit shocked TBH. It really has put a damper on Australian cricket.

Condolences to family and friends.. RIP #408

That's shocking. Stealing anything is not on, but on a day like today, is disgusting and the person should be ashamed with themselves.

Thankfully I live in a good area. My bat and hat have been out the front all day and is still sitting there proudly.

Talk about karma following you around, that guy that stole the bat surely cannot be a cricketer. I can only imagine to expect to see a flood of bats for sale on ebay over the next few days. Humans disappoint me at times.:(

Surreal is the perfect word my friend.

I am still trying to digest it all. I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that it isn't just a bad dream.

Well known people die often and sadly, like Phil, some do so far too early.

But to me, this is different. Deeper. More personal.

Not because I knew Phil Hughes, or idolized him.

I think it's because I've had a lifelong love affair with cricket. Followed it for 45 years and played it for over 25. It's allured me, and frustrated me, and teased me, and tested me. It's brought out both the best in me and (sadly) the worst in me.

I've had tremendous highs both playing and following this game and the associated lows as well.

But now I've seen someone young lose their life at the crease. Someone young, someone talented (although the talent level is irrelevant to me to be honest) and someone with so much ahead of him.

I'm not used to cricket claiming a life. I'm struggling to deal with it and process it. It doesn't seem real, it doesn't seem possible.

For heaven's sake, cricket doesn't kill people.

The real pain is being felt by those close to Phil Hughes. His family, his friends. Those who loved him and deeply cared about him.

So it's not about me. I have only written the above to try to explain what a strange, sad and confusing place this has thrown me into. Somewhere I can't recall being before in my life.

I'm really struggling to be interested in the game at present. Or discussion about the game. Or even discussion about Phil's passing or its ramifications.

I don't know if I can view the game of cricket in quite the same way ever again.
Well said mate. Exactly how I feel also.

That's shocking. Stealing anything is not on, but on a day like today, is disgusting and the person should be ashamed with themselves.

Thankfully I live in a good area. My bat and hat have been out the front all day and is still sitting there proudly.

I'm in Paddington FFS. Not too worried about the bat itself, but just...Urgh. Surely anybody who would think "Hey, a bat, awesome" would also know what the "RIP, 63*" I wrote on it was referring to. :(

I'm in Paddington FFS. Not too worried about the bat itself, but just...Urgh. Surely anybody who would think "Hey, a bat, awesome" would also know what the "RIP, 63*" I wrote on it was referring to. :(
I don't know much about Paddington but I'm assuming by your post it's wither a small town or a "friendly" area?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friendly area. You know, "latte set" kinda thing. Malcolm Turnbull's electorate.
I guess no matter where you live, there is always one ******* nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back