Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm like that bloke who's the odd one out in a usual group, but can't take the hint to leave.

Also Shell may possibly be coming to the bourke st pub tomorrow, before I head off to a 21st.

Or winter for those in a different hemisphere :D

Altho I kinda know what your answer would be Catfish Alley ....

Haha, yeah, not too much. Mostly recovering. I'm looking forward to Christmas though. Apart from that, lots of time with friends and my family. We'll also be getting ready for the new arrival in early Feb.

You like to bring her back down to earth don't you? ;)
What can I say?
smiley-confused013.gif

I'm a realist!

Probably because it's very rare for a cricketer needing to be taken to hospital.

Don't think it's the ambos fault as it seems they weren't called at first.As it turns out it seems there's nothing that could've saved Hughes even if they were there in 1 minute.
You're exactly right. There wasn't a thing that anyone could have done to save the poor guy. He passed out as a result of a stroke which was caused by his brain being deprived of oxygen. Even if there had been a neurosurgeon and a makeshift operating theatre on standby, there was probably only a matter of seconds from the time that the ball hit Phil, to the time that the bleed caused irreversible damage. It's a physical impossibility to stem the flow of blood from whichever vessel burst, in the time frame required to save Phil's life. All that they could ever do was open him up in the operating theatre once he arrived at the hospital and reduce the swelling on the brain as much as possible. From there, it was as much as keeping him on life support and hoping for the best, but in reality knowing the worst.

Haha, yeah, not too much. Mostly recovering. I'm looking forward to Christmas though. Apart from that, lots of time with friends and my family. We'll also be getting ready for the new arrival in early Feb.

You'll have to keep us posted- am sure you will. You were posting pretty much soon after your close call in the hospital. :p

Do you know if it's a boy/girl?? Names? Or is it top secret.. or you dont know anything at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FredLeDeux - re Cohen the Barbarian..
I thought you were being funny because I've got a series of old Fantasy books about Conan the Barbarian. ;)
Are you a big reader of Fantasy books? Or of selective authors?

I've actually bought the first two Discworld books but still haven't read them. A bloke I know is a big fan and I bought the first book on his recommendation. Just couldn't get into it but will have another go at it one day. Picked up the second book for $2- a bargain if I end up liking the first volume, not a big loss if I don't.

FredLeDeux - re Cohen the Barbarian..
I thought you were being funny because I've got a series of old Fantasy books about Conan the Barbarian. ;)
Are you a big reader of Fantasy books? Or of selective authors?

I've actually bought the first two Discworld books but still haven't read them. A bloke I know is a big fan and I bought the first book on his recommendation. Just couldn't get into it but will have another go at it one day. Picked up the second book for $2- a bargain if I end up liking the first volume, not a big loss if I don't.

I read lots of everything, including SFF - in fact, I just read an omnibus of Howard's original Conan stories, halfway through reading all of the Discworld series. The first Discworld is pretty good, but they get better, I found; and, as I said, the fantasy world is really just a setting for his books, not really an end in itself as in traditional fantasy, a la Tolkien, etc.
Am I reading your post correctly, you still read DTBs?*

* Dead Tree Books :D

I read lots of everything, including SFF - in fact, I just read an omnibus of Howard's original Conan stories, halfway through reading all of the Discworld series. The first Discworld is pretty good, but they get better, I found; and, as I said, the fantasy world is really just a setting for his books, not really an end in itself as in traditional fantasy, a la Tolkien, etc.
Am I reading your post correctly, you still read DTBs?*

* Dead Tree Books :D
I've got a few hundred that I've paid bloody good money for! Of course I'm going to read them! :mad:

I hadn't heard the Discworld books compared to Douglas Adam's books but I guess the humour may be where the similarities lie.

Have you had a look at the Fantasy Books thread on the main board? I get a lot of good ideas on what to buy from there :)

I've got a few hundred that I've paid bloody good money for! Of course I'm going to read them! :mad:

I hadn't heard the Discworld books compared to Douglas Adam's books but I guess the humour may be where the similarities lie.

Have you had a look at the Fantasy Books thread on the main board? I get a lot of good ideas on what to buy from there :)

I didn't even know there was such a thread, but I've located it and will look through it.
Mind you, I just noticed today that my ebook library contains 4000+ books marked "To Read", so any new ones will be well down the list!:eek:

I had 1000s of books too, but I sold them when we moved, and I could never imagine going back to paper books after I've been using the ereader/s. Apart from anything else, the convenience is incredible, and the cost of old and new books is "minimal" ;).

I didn't even know there was such a thread, but I've located it and will look through it.
Mind you, I just noticed today that my ebook library contains 4000+ books marked "To Read", so any new ones will be well down the list!:eek:

I had 1000s of books too, but I sold them when we moved, and I could never imagine going back to paper books after I've been using the ereader/s. Apart from anything else, the convenience is incredible, and the cost of old and new books is "minimal" ;).
Glad you've found it- there's another book thread there also, that you might like to peruse ;)

I just love the feel of turning real paper pages, Fred. Have not counted my e-books but most of them have been free. I've probably paid only a few hundred $$$ in e-money.

If you look online, "proper" books compare pretty well price-wise with e-books. It then comes down to personal preference. I think I have 1500-ish mostly fantasy books and another few hundred of assorted genres in my bookshelf. I'd better not sell them because my hubby has just designed me a library/reading room in our new house. ;)

I won't even begin to count the books that my kids own. I've kept their favourites and fitted out the local primary school library with the remainder, to the delight of the librarians there. ;)

My local bookshop proprietors love us, too- over the 20 years I've been haunting their stores, I think I've put their grandkids through school! :D

Incidentally, if you want to find books you might like, go to

http://www.gnod.com/

click on Literature Map, type in the name of an author you like, and then you'll get a "map" of other authors you might like, based on readers' preferences, varying in likelihood by proximity to your named author. The results sometimes look surprising, but I've found them to be accurate.

They have a Music Map too.

Glad you've found it- there's another book thread there also, that you might like to peruse ;)

I just love the feel of turning real paper pages, Fred. Have not counted my e-books but most of them have been free. I've probably paid only a few hundred $$$ in e-money.

If you look online, "proper" books compare pretty well price-wise with e-books. It then comes down to personal preference. I think I have 1500-ish mostly fantasy books and another few hundred of assorted genres in my bookshelf. I'd better not sell them because my hubby has just designed me a library/reading room in our new house. ;)

I won't even begin to count the books that my kids own. I've kept their favourites and fitted out the local primary school library with the remainder, to the delight of the librarians there. ;)

My local bookshop proprietors love us, too- over the 20 years I've been haunting their stores, I think I've put their grandkids through school! :D

When I said minimal, I meant really minimal.;) Yes, I did see the other thread, thank you.:rolleyes:

And I did a rough estimate at one stage, and figured out, in present terms, I've spent a minimum of $100k on paper books over the years.

Incidentally, if you want to find books you might like, go to

http://www.gnod.com/

click on Literature Map, type in the name of an author you like, and then you'll get a "map" of other authors you might like, based on readers' preferences, varying in likelihood by proximity to your named author. The results sometimes look surprising, but I've found them to be accurate.

They have a Music Map too.
Thanks Fred :)
Bloody hell! The first author I typed in (David Eddings) brought up about 30 authors and there'd be 5 authors on that list who aren't on my bookshelves!
I'm going to have a bit more of a play there :D

To return the favour, I'll recommend you look at the free Goodreads app, if you have an iPhone. Or go to www.goodreads.com then register and play around there.

When I said minimal, I meant really minimal.;) Yes, I did see the other thread, thank you.:rolleyes:

And I did a rough estimate at one stage, and figured out, in present terms, I've spent a minimum of $100k on paper books over the years.
Hahaha! Oh well, you can't take it with you- and you've made someone (or "someones" very very happy!

Thanks Fred :)
Bloody hell! The first author I typed in (David Eddings) brought up about 30 authors and there'd be 5 authors on that list who aren't on my bookshelves!
I'm going to have a bit more of a play there :D

To return the favour, I'll recommend you look at the free Goodreads app, if you have an iPhone. Or go to www.goodreads.com then register and play around there.

Thanks, I have pottered around on Goodreads from time to time, it can be useful for suggestions, especially their lists.

The only thing odd about you is your choice of AFL team to support. :)
I'm a Mercenary.

I chose Collingwood because my 2 best friends in prep did.

And in kindergarten I said I went for Adelaide because the teacher gave me free chocolate everytime I did.

I'm a Mercenary.

I chose Collingwood because my 2 best friends in prep did.

And in kindergarten I said I went for Adelaide because the teacher gave me free chocolate everytime I did.
Hahaha! Well done!
As good a reason as any :)

What will it cost us to convert you to follow the best club in the land? The club that plays the game "as it should be played"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back