Delisted Paddy McCartin

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Only just now seen his live tv interviews during the draft coverage.

He speaks better than most 10 year AFL players, let alone, most draftees.

Never heard such maturity from a young bloke.

I love the Saints character focus in drafting. In this case, it sounds like Paddy Mack ticks all three boxes: talent, character & list needs.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Anyone know if it really was Paddy Mack all along?

Media assumed it was Petracca, had to back pedal?

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
This sounds like elite, elite sort of stuff.

Great to have these young guys who set these super high standards come to a club and see legends like Roo doing the same thing. They then must get that feedback and reassurance that, yes, this is the way to become the best.

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Awesome stuff, his skin folds were 73.6 at the combine, so to have gotten them down to 64 since is a great start in a short period of time. Still a long way to go though I would have thought, as 64 is still in the bottom 11% of the 101 that were at the combine (with 32 the best/lowest!), but sounds like he will get it done. :thumbsu:

The fact he was playing so well with such high skin folds makes you wonder how much better he will be when he gets them down further though! :thumbsu:

Just the sort of stuff that you look for in an elite AFL player, the want to go above and beyond. To put it into perspective, that skin fold result would be better than 18 year old versions of Jon Brown, Tom Hawkins, Kosi, Jon Patton and Drew Petrie.
Not sure about the others, but being as skinny as he was when drafted, I expect Kosi's would have been sub-50. Sam Durdin's for instance were sub-40!

He still has a lot of room for improvement, which is a good thing, when one has the right attitude (which he certainly seems to have).

Last edited:
Just watching the backstage interview. Notice his answer to the very first question:

"10 minutes ago I was out there, JUST A NORMAL KID, and now I've been PICKED BY THE SAINTS."

Not, "10 minutes ago I was out there, and now I've been PICK NUMBER ONE."

THAT, right there - what he said, and what he didn't say - is the difference between Paddy and Petracca.

Couldn't be happier.

Just watching the backstage interview. Notice his answer to the very first question:

"10 minutes ago I was out there, JUST A NORMAL KID, and now I've been PICKED BY THE SAINTS."

Not, "10 minutes ago I was out there, and now I've been PICK NUMBER ONE."

THAT, right there - what he said, and what he didn't say - is the difference between Paddy and Petracca.

Couldn't be happier.
Loved the video of Paddy & Goddard giving each other a hug and being so excited to be drafted by us and playing together again. They both looked so happy.
Much easier for a young bloke to join a AFL club if hes got his 'mate by his side.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am affiliated with st Joseph's fc down here in sunny geelong. That's paddy's club and I got to meet his dad and him. A great family, just good people

Despite being the likely number 1 draft pick at the time I met him, he still happily gave up his time to work in the fc canteen on game days. Now that's what I call a ripping kid! We have a good one here folks!

That FOX Footy article and video also spoke volumes. When asked in the video what he needed to work on, he said tank and then defensive pressure. He knows the concerns fans have, because they're his concerns.

Then to have an article about him asking the Falcon's fitness guy to help with fitness, and him doing what he was told. That is so good.

He knows he needs to work on his fitness. He's already shown an amazing determination to work on his fitness.

I would have probably been ecstatic with Petracca. But seriously, the more I see this kid, the more I think we made the wisest choice imaginable. A brave choice, to go against the wider grain, but a very, very wise one.

image.jpg
image.jpg

That FOX Footy article and video also spoke volumes. When asked in the video what he needed to work on, he said tank and then defensive pressure. He knows the concerns fans have, because they're his concerns.

Then to have an article about him asking the Falcon's fitness guy to help with fitness, and him doing what he was told. That is so good.

He knows he needs to work on his fitness. He's already shown an amazing determination to work on his fitness.

I would have probably been ecstatic with Petracca. But seriously, the more I see this kid, the more I think we made the wisest choice imaginable. A brave choice, to go against the wider grain, but a very, very wise one.
Its been said before but the whole 'Buddy for 10 million' and then 'Boyd for 7 million' before hes even proved himself has changed a lot of clubs thinking.
So do we get a gun fwd for a draft pick or do we wait a yr or two and see if we can MAYBE coax Cameron away from GWS for 9 million which will seriously impact being able to keep or draft more talent to our club.
Petracca wouldve been great, but we can build a bigger war chest by not paying ridiculous overs for somebody like Cameron or Patton in a few yrs time.
We have to get quality kids over this 3 yr period and then when we start to come good still have some money left over to tempt some top end talent to be the cherry on top of our next finals tilt.
The doggies might have some list management problems in a few yrs just when they start to come good.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its been said before but the whole 'Buddy for 10 million' and then 'Boyd for 7 million' before hes even proved himself has changed a lot of clubs thinking.
So do we get a gun fwd for a draft pick or do we wait a yr or two and see if we can MAYBE coax Cameron away from GWS for 9 million which will seriously impact being able to keep or draft more talent to our club.
Petracca wouldve been great, but we can build a bigger war chest by not paying ridiculous overs for somebody like Cameron or Patton in a few yrs time.
We have to get quality kids over this 3 yr period and then when we start to come good still have some money left over to tempt some top end talent to be the cherry on top of our next finals tilt.
The doggies might have some list management problems in a few yrs just when they start to come good.

We now get to use the money we were going to need for a key forward to target gun mids. This will probably cost much less than a key forward and there are more options so we are more likely to find one that wants to come to us.

I'd start by offering Treloar 800k/yr over 5 years and see if that tempts him. If that doesn't get him to leave then just start working down the list of out of contract GWS players and see who shakes loose. Worst case scenario is that none of them come to us but we put pressure on GWS's salary cap while forcing up the price other clubs will have to pay for them.

If none of them leave cause they have agreed to sacrifice $$$ for flags then we are all screwed.

It'll be very interesting to see who GWS re-signs over the next 6 months. There might be some very worried GWS fans if half way through the year some of their big names haven't re-signed.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
St.Kilda has shown it gets the no.1 picks right, and I think in this case it'll be another tick.

Obviously I'm over the moon with Melbournes draft, but McCartin has everything you want in a key forward. Excellent hands, aggression, accuracy, good below the knees and loads of leadership qualities. You can draft midfielders in ANY draft, but you can't pick up top line KP forwards like you did this year.

Best of luck to Patty and the Saints, from experience I know that as a supporter you really can't expect too much from him for a little while, and I hope the non-Saints supporters also understand that (Who knows he might look a gun from his first game, but talls do take time, see Hawkins).

Apr 3, 2002
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Kilda
Awesome stuff, his skin folds were 73.6 at the combine, so to have gotten them down to 64 since is a great start in a short period of time. Still a long way to go though I would have thought, as 64 is still in the bottom 11% of the 101 that were at the combine (with 32 the best/lowest!), but sounds like he will get it done. :thumbsu:

What is he aiming for? What is the norm for an AFL player?

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
As time passes from the Draft picking Paddy sounds and looks the exact right decision. I won't bag Petracca but I think his attitude in the after draft interviews said quite a bit. He might well be a distraction.

My personal preference was for Angus Brayshaw, and even a level headed kid like him seemed sucked in by Petracca mucking around. Was immature. Both will be fine players, and Roos will get them in line.

Paddy will be a ripper.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
I heard Richo rates Paddy ahead of recent tall fwd's Boyd, Daniher, Hogan etc. obvious bias but nevertheless good to hear our coach is bullish about the big fella. Has an aura of J Brown about him IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think his worth ethic might be the reason here. The others sound like they dominated their juniors reasonably easy and despite having the goods it didnt challenge them. McCartin's diabetes means that his training and attitude to his game are impeccable and this might be a massive boon to him in future.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
It's interesting.
When we got Cripps, the club always said that the diabetes wasn't an issue ( for the club , not for the person ) and many here then rolled their eyes up.
But in drafting Paddy, the club would well and truly know what they were in for, and ........ its not an issue.

The whole reason it was an issue like Big Mart said was that our recruiters didn't do their due diligence and know he was a diabetic beforehand. Very different to this time where we knew and took it in consideration. That shows poor research and was the nail in the coffin for Peake (thank the lord) and so he got the arse!

That is why so much has been said about PM's maturity and preparedness and work ethic because he'll need those traits in order to manage the diabetes and to excel.

Back