Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard about the put your bat out tribute in the car on the way to Melbourne and was shitty that I wasn't able to put mine out. I got home tonight and saw that my 6 year old boy had put his out....so proud of my little bloke. RIP Phillip Hughes....stay strong Sean Abbott

You've raised him well.

B3gpz4RCMAA0LoI.jpg

The Indian National Hockey Team

I got a bit of a kick out of Hughes coming on the scene.

Most would probably remember the South Africa series in Australia earlier in the summer before his debut, which was probably the definitive end of a great era. I don't know if we actually technically lost the world number 1 ranking with that series loss but in my opinion we'd certainly lost the moral right to call ourselves the best team in the world. And then right away this young kid effectively the same age as me comes along with talent to burn and the future looked bright again.

When I started following cricket, which was relatively late in my childhood, my heroes were all old men, but Hughes was my age, which made it all the more special. A young man like me living his dream. A contemporary, a peer, and a paisano as well.

He was a young man going places and when you consider the career trajectory of other great players in the recent past it's clear to me that we have lost more than we will ever know.

Furthermore, the class shown by so many around the world with their words and the beautiful and simple gesture with the bats, says so much about the sport that occupies a special place in the national psyche of this country and the sport that occupies a great deal of my time and emotional energy. It shows the spirit of the game has never really left, the game where you applaud both the achievements of your own team as well as the opposition. It's reassuring in the midst of such tragedy.

Just went to the pub to have a quick dinner, and I was sitting on my own but could overhear a few conversations and it's basically all anyone was talking about. Not since Bali in 2002 can I remember such a collective communal sadness coming over the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just ticked over 63 minutes in the Victory/United game, crowd standing and applauding.
That gave me goosebumps and a lump in the throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back