Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty to build on after this year were pretty good against us the second time at the Flat.

Girth might be able to tell us how things are shaping up at Maryborough? You would think they would be in alot better spot than this time last year and had a few good wins in the second half of the season to give them a bit of enthusiasm going into next year.

Also been very little talk about Castlemaine as well.
Yes both been quite so not sure if good or bad
Heard Kyneton have hit their cap and have finished recruiting

Girth might be able to tell us how things are shaping up at Maryborough? You would think they would be in alot better spot than this time last year and had a few good wins in the second half of the season to give them a bit of enthusiasm going into next year.

Tyson Macilwain & Jayden Hooper will be playing in Melbourne next season.

Where's roota to congratulate the two bendigo boys on being drafted.... Send out the search party there must be something wrong with our dear roota

Was just about to pop in and do that Trent. Tigga Downie is a great story and if the Gold were still around would be a great example of the opportunities that blokes could have been given

Was just about to pop in and do that Trent. Tigga Downie is a great story and if the Gold were still around would be a great example of the opportunities that blokes could have been given
Just imagine if weeksy had given the vfl another crack surely seeing Tigua getting an opportunity would make some other talented players step up and have a crack at a higher level as there are opportunities

Is Jack Geary really not good enough for a rookie list? Seems to have all the attributes needed for a young-ish kid
He probably does, but he's hardly sending the right message to an AFL club by playing in a bush league (not to disrespect the BFL, but that's what it is). If he was serious about playing AFL he would have been at the Gold this year or at another VFL club and under the nose of recruiters. Tigger Downie got the opportunity because he gave himself every opportunity.

Is Jack Geary really not good enough for a rookie list? Seems to have all the attributes needed for a young-ish kid

I dont think he's at that level he went to the Peel Thunder to give himself a chance and was in the reserves despite Peel being real strugglers and then came home part way through the season if my memory serves me correct. Has had a few beating his drums supporting him to get picked up but was a very small chance I thought that whole time. Very good player at BFL level all the same.

Did anyone else read the tweets and story in the addy about what Aussie Jones said in regards to local football administrator should step down?
Smacks of sour grapes and told you so. Does getting 1 person into a rookie list now means that the Gold was successful and should have continued?
Hardly. I smirked as Aussie doesnt seem to be able to let it go and wants to have the last word and parting shot trying to push his overall commitment to AFL pathway.
Move on, nothing to see here......................

Did anyone else read the tweets and story in the addy about what Aussie Jones said in regards to local football administrator should step down?
Smacks of sour grapes and told you so. Does getting 1 person into a rookie list now means that the Gold was successful and should have continued?
Hardly. I smirked as Aussie doesnt seem to be able to let it go and wants to have the last word and parting shot trying to push his overall commitment to AFL pathway.

Yer he had a dip each to their own support levels from some parties around Bendigo probably werent at the level they should have been but not too much point firing bullets now about it. The Downie promotion gave them some reward for effort.

I think its fair to say that the 2015 BFL Season is shaping up to be much more competitive and stronger than last year. Think their could be 2 or 3 stragglers but outside of that it will be good footy.

You sound like you are one of the footy public with stale views to bendigo having a vfl side. Look at ballarat everyone gets behind the roosters and wants to play there, yet the likes of Geary and Bristow shifted across the other side of the country to play a higher comp when the gold were crying out for players of that ilk. Bendigo is a growing population and should be aspiring to compete in the vfl and keep young quality players in the region to play a high level of footy, then go back to the bfl when they want to go back a standard giving the bfl a higher standard of footballers in theory

Of course it means it should have continued. The lack of support from council, the BFNL and the HUB was pathetic. There are also another half a dozen players who've been picked up other VFL clubs at Essendon, Geelong, Port Melbourne and Werribee, and Downie had already been signed by Richmond's VFL team.

Your comment smacks of having no idea.

The BFNL executive are a joke, and the current HUB administrators aren't doing their job properly either.

Of course it means it should have continued. The lack of support from council, the BFNL and the HUB was pathetic. There are also another half a dozen players who've been picked up other VFL clubs at Essendon, Geelong, Port Melbourne and Werribee, and Downie had already been signed by Richmond's VFL team.

The BFNL executive are a joke, and the current HUB administrators aren't doing their job properly either.

I'm a bit lost on what role they play? What should they be doing?

Just a thought is it fair to say that since the Hub has been in place (3-4 yrs?) they have only seen 5 premiership sides across the board!
Wedderburn 4
Bridgewater 5
LBU 4
Square 4
Strath 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idealistic good willed dribble. I know for every 1 supporter the Gold had 10 others were against it. What you have just stated is 6 players out of a list of 30+ are good enough to go to another VFL club. Thats probably about right.
The other comment about the Roosters and comparing them to the Gold is so inaccurate all I could do was laugh.
Nobody has been able to hit me with any mind blowing facts and the only time VFL in Bendigo has been successful is by being an AFL clubs 2nds team with a small intake of locals. Hence the point raised that 6 have been picked up at other clubs is probably the average of what has been done previously. Trying to provide 22 local ( and 9 lived in melbourne) part time players cant compete. We have seen that for the last few years. Does everyone forget the average losing margin for the last 2 years? Because 1 player has been rookied its now all about development. If its all about development the players need to go to the best facilities and programs which is an AFL's VFL team.

If our views are so stale why did the Gold pack up? They didnt do it right from the outset and should have followed the Roosters plan, Base, Ground, players, coach and engage.

There's no point wasting time trying to convince the uneducated about the benefits of Bendigo having a VFL team. The problem was always that clubs and supporters didn't embrace the idea from the start. Somehow they thought the Diggers/Bombers/Gold would rape and pillage Bendigo footy. It would actually do the opposite in the long run.

But without a social club and access to facilities, there wasn't going to be a change. Bendigo has had well above the average of VFL players drafted to the AFL. Well more than say a powerhouse like Port Melbourne.

Ship has sailed. Also most of the AFL clubs are looking to field stand alone teams in the VFL now days. The North Ballarat/North Melbourne alliance ends at the finish of the 2015 season

Idealistic good willed dribble. I know for every 1 supporter the Gold had 10 others were against it. What you have just stated is 6 players out of a list of 30+ are good enough to go to another VFL club. Thats probably about right.
The other comment about the Roosters and comparing them to the Gold is so inaccurate all I could do was laugh.
Nobody has been able to hit me with any mind blowing facts and the only time VFL in Bendigo has been successful is by being an AFL clubs 2nds team with a small intake of locals. Hence the point raised that 6 have been picked up at other clubs is probably the average of what has been done previously. Trying to provide 22 local ( and 9 lived in melbourne) part time players cant compete. We have seen that for the last few years. Does everyone forget the average losing margin for the last 2 years? Because 1 player has been rookied its now all about development. If its all about development the players need to go to the best facilities and programs which is an AFL's VFL team.

If our views are so stale why did the Gold pack up? They didnt do it right from the outset and should have followed the Roosters plan, Base, Ground, players, coach and engage.
Firstly where in Bendigo is there a Facility that could if developed rival The Northern Oval in Ballarat
With that Facility have Pokies that fund a large portion of their Football program before spreading profits to the community
The reason and I know this as fact as having worked for a sponsor of the Roosters for 4 years in Ballarat there is nothing here and the $'s are not here
That club was built from the ground up by a football club so History,tradition,focus is all about football
Bendigo has nothing that blows wind up that club and never will
The Gold,Diggers,Bombers are gone and we are left with what we have
Just deal in facts and not what if's !

Ship has sailed. Also most of the AFL clubs are looking to field stand alone teams in the VFL now days. The North Ballarat/North M
Firstly where in Bendigo is there a Facility that could if developed rival The Northern Oval in Ballarat
With that Facility have Pokies that fund a large portion of their Football program before spreading profits to the community
The reason and I know this as fact as having worked for a sponsor of the Roosters for 4 years in Ballarat there is nothing here and the $'s are not here
That club was built from the ground up by a football club so History,tradition,focus is all about football
Bendigo has nothing that blows wind up that club and never will
The Gold,Diggers,Bombers are gone and we are left with what we have
Just deal in facts and not what if's !

In the early years they did try to develop a facility similar to Nth Ballarat but were stifled. Plenty of good blokes had a crack at making the VFL work in Bendigo but in the end it wasn't to be for many reasons. I wish all the people who had a crack at it as players, coaches, administrators etc all the best in whatever they do next

Ship has sailed. Also most of the AFL clubs are looking to field stand alone teams in the VFL now days. The North Ballarat/North M

In the early years they did try to develop a facility similar to Nth Ballarat but were stifled. Plenty of good blokes had a crack at making the VFL work in Bendigo but in the end it wasn't to be for many reasons. I wish all the people who had a crack at it as players, coaches, administrators etc all the best in whatever they do next
The qeo is the best ground in country victoria, why not utilise what you have, unfortunately bendigo football thoughts on a vfl team have stagnated for 20 years, where the majority of best players in the bfl don't strive to play for the bendigo vfl team or don't have the backing from their clubs to try out, unlike bafl, and gfl to try out for their vfl team and want to play, and the public never got behind the side as the best local players were bypassing leaving misfit teams with no alliance to bendigo and a lack of supporter base

The qeo is the best ground in country victoria, why not utilise what you have, unfortunately bendigo football thoughts on a vfl team have stagnated for 20 years, where the majority of best players in the bfl don't strive to play for the bendigo vfl team or don't have the backing from their clubs to try out, unlike bafl, and gfl to try out for their vfl team and want to play, and the public never got behind the side as the best local players were bypassing leaving misfit teams with no alliance to bendigo and a lack of supporter base

Thats right the support just wasnt what was required. They made the finals a couple of times under the Bendigo Bombers banner but it did little for the growth of the Club.

Trent
now there is a thread all by itself..I would beg to differ on the QEO the best ground in country vic
I would class numerous in the O&M better and some in the south west are very good to
can only speak on the ones I have seen
The QEO has no cover except the grandstand and facilities for players under it are just to standard
Any home club struggles with canteens ect with stands out in the elements
The surface is good but would not call it outstanding
The ground can't be developed because of heritage overlays
I reckon as when we had a VFL side the show grounds should have been developed
plenty of room
Exhibition sheds are big enough for warm ups
Dining and after match facilities are there as well
Would have made boutique oval without to much trouble

Thoughts anyone

Trent
now there is a thread all by itself..I would beg to differ on the QEO the best ground in country vic
I would class numerous in the O&M better and some in the south west are very good to
can only speak on the ones I have seen
The QEO has no cover except the grandstand and facilities for players under it are just to standard
Any home club struggles with canteens ect with stands out in the elements
The surface is good but would not call it outstanding
The ground can't be developed because of heritage overlays
I reckon as when we had a VFL side the show grounds should have been developed
plenty of room
Exhibition sheds are big enough for warm ups
Dining and after match facilities are there as well
Would have made boutique oval without to much trouble

Thoughts anyone

Missed opportunity out at Epsom/Huntly I reckon. Could have really developed a premier facility for elite level sport with off field facilities as well. Massive coin was spent out there but more could have been done in my opinion

Not enough scrutiny has been placed on Jeff Brennan and the powers to be at South Bendigo for what they have done to that club. They turned it from a fource the past decade to a team that WILL NOT WIN A GAME this season. (mark my words). Anyone on here involved with the club able to offer an opinion or explanation on where it is at?

Sandhurst picking up players from minor leagues, Storm gathering ex AFL talent and quality players from major leagues (more to be announced ive been told). Season 2015 will be a two horse race once again but I can't see the Dragons closing the gap.

Back