Delisted Daniel McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched his highlights vid for the first time. I am excite. Love the consistently good marking, the speed, willingness to use it and the kicking! Testing-wise, he is just about the "complete package", which is pretty rare.

I read that he had 18 disposals at 90% efficiency v Vic Country at the champs, but that was the only game he played there, so I wonder if he was injured for the rest of it? Would be strange to drop someone after a game like that against a top team and not give them another crack.

He is the exact type that Hawthorn have been loading up on. Those with elite endurance and preferably speed and with elite left foot kicking. The Pelican lives on!

Last edited:
Geez now if that isn't a reason to get excited about D-Mac (like the nickname), then I don't know what is!!!
I'm sticking with dan mac, I reckon it has a better ring to it

Ameet Bains on St Kilda’s four draftees:

22. Daniel McKenzie
“He has great agility and tested in the elite bracket of speed and agility at the Draft combine. He can play in three parts of the ground so that appealed a lot as well."

Born: 17/5/96
Height: 183cm
Weight: 77kg
Drafted from: Oakleigh Chargers
Position: Midfielder
Plays like: Grant Birchall

Last edited:
The other Mac

Based on his video
  • His vision of the play is incredible: both defensively in terms of his ability to intercept; and offensively, in his ability to see a player that is clear up the ground, in the midst of traffic. A seeing player.
  • His ability to back up that vision: firstly, defensively because he seems to have VERY sticky hands, reminds me a bit of Faz with those hands latching onto to any ball that comes his way.
  • He also backs up that vision offensively, in that he is a beautiful pinpoint passer. Judges intuitively when to bullet and when to float the ball; and when he DOES float it, it seems to JUST be out of the defense's reach, and landing right in the lap of the target.
  • Then, there's the speed. Tucks the ball under his arm, and just goes. phwoar...
He is the exact player we lacked in 2014, a pure, unadulterated outside playmaker. Who cares if he doesn't ever get a clearance himself - we've got tons of players who can do that. No, he's the player they pass it out to, to create the play.

Oh my golly-gosh, what a great get.

Here's hoping he's not as crazy as Black, m'okay, Barrells?
Blacky had some actual demons Perse, was bipolar. Didn't help that he sure liked a can or ten.

Sure could play though.

Based on his video
  • His vision of the play is incredible: both defensively in terms of his ability to intercept; and offensively, in his ability to see a player that is clear up the ground, in the midst of traffic. A seeing player.
  • His ability to back up that vision: firstly, defensively because he seems to have VERY sticky hands, reminds me a bit of Faz with those hands latching onto to any ball that comes his way.
  • He also backs up that vision offensively, in that he is a beautiful pinpoint passer. Judges intuitively when to bullet and when to float the ball; and when he DOES float it, it seems to JUST be out of the defense's reach, and landing right in the lap of the target.
  • Then, there's the speed. Tucks the ball under his arm, and just goes. phwoar...
He is the exact player we lacked in 2014, a pure, unadulterated outside playmaker. Who cares if he doesn't ever get a clearance himself - we've got tons of players who can do that. No, he's the player they pass it out to, to create the play.

Oh my golly-gosh, what a great get.

Can one of the draft experts explain why he wasn't seemingly far higher rated coming into the draft?
As PS said, kicking looks great, sticky hands and his acceleration is ridiculous based on a couple of those moments. Is he suspect defensively? Doesn't find much of the footy? Had injuries which hid his talent a bit?

Also, he is obviously a leftie but hit both targets when going on his right. Genuinely dual sided?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was gonna write about that. Loved the way he just looked at the bloke chasing him and arrogantly backs himself to burn him off. Loved the confidence that showed. Really exciting prospect going by the highlights.

Can one of the draft experts explain why he wasn't seemingly far higher rated coming into the draft?
As PS said, kicking looks great, sticky hands and his acceleration is ridiculous based on a couple of those moments. Is he suspect defensively? Doesn't find much of the footy? Had injuries which hid his talent a bit?

Also, he is obviously a leftie but hit both targets when going on his right. Genuinely dual sided?

He only played 1 game in the Champs, played pretty well too, wasn't one I was watching super closely so I'm not sure if he was injured or not.

Injured at crucial times through last year and this year and been less exposed playing school footy with caulfield grammar

Based on his numbers, he's not a high pos winner.... And his eff% is not great

He averaged about 14ppg over 19 games in two season of TAsC cup

4 times in the best... Just 6 goals

A few 20+ games

His vision looks neat though.

Marking, Acceleration, Vision in particular stood out and from what i saw in the video his kicking to advantage. I particularly liked his acceleration away from the contest which is what we are currently lacking at our club...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back