List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the only place I've read negative spin on our drafting is here on the North board. Everyone else seems to think we came out of it awesomely.

Will admit I don't have a lot of clue about Nielson but Bryce has credits in the bank and would know what he's about so very happy to trust his judgement.

General consensus from a quick browse of the main board has a lot of opposition posters having us as winners as well.

Just had a look at the odds on the rising star at sportsbet this morning. Unbelievably both Dumont and Garner are 150-1. Daniel Neilson is 80-1 which doesnt exactly justify his pick at 25. Ed Vickers-Willis is at 50-1, Kayne Turner at 40-1 and Sam Durdin at 33-1.

I'm gonna have $10 on Dumont at 150-1. Obviously he's a longshot but I think he'll get more games than all the other guys bar Turner. After his misbehavior this year you can bet he'll have a massive preseason and seeing we have drafted no mids he should get quite a few games, whether its enough to get him the votes only time will tell.

Just had a look at the odds on the rising star at sportsbet this morning. Unbelievably both Dumont and Garner are 150-1. Daniel Neilson is 80-1 which doesnt exactly justify his pick at 25. Ed Vickers-Willis is at 50-1, Kayne Turner at 40-1 and Sam Durdin at 33-1.

I'm gonna have $10 on Dumont at 150-1. Obviously he's a longshot but I think he'll get more games than all the other guys bar Turner. After his misbehavior this year you can bet he'll have a massive preseason and seeing we have drafted no mids he should get quite a few games, whether its enough to get him the votes only time will tell.

Good luck there. I don't think we'll see Dumont on field any time soon. Turner I wouldn't mind a punt on, the fresh guys are all going to be in development for a while I think.

Just putting it out there but if we had of delisted Tarrant ( after 7 years) we would have had another pick at 54 which we could have used for Reece. Surely he has more upside than Tarrant. This will come back to bite is in the ass.
Sack Brewis.
Very good point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good point.

It's all opinion, of course, but I thought it was a pretty s**t point.

Put it this way, if he was in he draft, Tarrant would be snapped up way before 70whatever that Reece went for. Every team passed on him McKenzie a number of times. There must have been a reason.

This probably sums up Thursday night to now.......

4ZHna0F.jpg

Put it this way, if he was in he draft, Tarrant would be snapped up way before 70whatever that Reece went for. Every team passed on him McKenzie a number of times. There must have been a reason.

I dont get the fantasy with Tarrant. If he was in the draft I doubt he would even be picked up. Who would pick up a guy who's played 30 odd out of a possible 160 games. In those 30 odd games he's done next to nothing.

Plenty of clubs have been wrong about many players and just because McKenzie was picked up in the 50's doesn't mean he wont be a serviceable player or a star. One things for sure Tarrant will never be a star as his body doesnt give him the continuity to even get close.

I dont get the fantasy with Tarrant. If he was in the draft I doubt he would even be picked up. Who would pick up a guy who's played 30 odd out of a possible 160 games. In those 30 odd games he's done next to nothing.

Plenty of clubs have been wrong about many players and just because McKenzie was picked up in the 50's doesn't mean he wont be a serviceable player or a star. One things for sure Tarrant will never be a star as his body doesnt give him the continuity to even get close.
Because if (big if) tarrant gets his body right he's ready to go and is proven AFL quality. McKenzie could just be another man child that is left exposed against AFL quality defenders. Took Hawkins quite a while to get going and McKenzie is still a fair way back in terms of development. Saunders and co must think they can still fix him up otherwise he'd be gone.

Bound for glory rated our draft as the second worst lol. I disagree.

North Melbourne: They would have been surprised Sam Durdin was still available at 16, and that was a good choice, although in retrospect, they probably should have taken Jayden Laverde. Daniel Nielson was a massive reach at 25. He would have still been around after pick 40. Ed Vickers-Willis is an undersized tall defender, but he is more of a smooth operator across halfback, rather than a key defender. Whilst individually all of North Melbourne’s players are good, they did not address outside speed at all, and choosing three tall defenders was just ridiculous.

Grade: C

"In retrospect"...as in, a day after the actual draft lol

You are kidding me right. Tarrant wouldn't make any other teams list. A risk on Reece was the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back