Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From his former country Hampshire.

B3iGS8zIcAARwVE.jpg

An anecdote from Adam Pengilly who is a reporter for the SMH, and played a lot of higher grade cricket at Wests which is Hughes former club.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...d-kid-made-everyone-wait-20141128-11vmla.html

Pengilly describes himself as "talentless" but I can assure you from first hand experience he is not. I did get him out though in a game against Wests - Does it matter that it was our first wicket and they had about 250 runs on the board?

I still can't get over it.

I rarely ever cry when it comes to celebrity deaths, even those I love, but something about this just makes me tear up immediately on hearing/reading/seeing anything about it. I don't know if it's a mix between his youth, the rarity of the situation, the fact that in a matter of 0.3 seconds, the ball came down the pitch and that was it. What Sean Abbott must be going through is horrible. I feel so bad for the guy and hope like hell he's gonna be okay. Everything about the situation is just horribly sad.

It also feels like there is a locality to it. Whether it's because I've played cricket, or if that's fact that I've always felt as if cricket players for the most part are more personable and relatable than AFL stars or American sports stars. Of course, there are dickheads that have played cricket, but I've always felt it a more mature, more relatable sport than most others on a people level. It's always seemed to me that their ego carries through predominantly in the game, rather than outside as much (again, there are a number of exceptions). I can't quite put it into words I guess, but it just feels so local and so personal.

I think its because playing a sport like cricket and watching it as a fan, makes one emotionally involved with the game and its players. The involvement means one senses the loss, almost as if the individual was known as a close friend, although in reality we have no avenues to even know what is going on, that makes the experience even more wrenching.

Victory-adelaide show what sport can do despite differences between football and cricket. some of the players would never have heard of phil, but observed quiet reverence and respect.

same goes for the crowd.

so respectful

I still can't get over it.

I rarely ever cry when it comes to celebrity deaths, even those I love, but something about this just makes me tear up immediately on hearing/reading/seeing anything about it. I don't know if it's a mix between his youth, the rarity of the situation, the fact that in a matter of 0.3 seconds, the ball came down the pitch and that was it. What Sean Abbott must be going through is horrible. I feel so bad for the guy and hope like hell he's gonna be okay. Everything about the situation is just horribly sad.

It also feels like there is a locality to it. Whether it's because I've played cricket, or if that's fact that I've always felt as if cricket players for the most part are more personable and relatable than AFL stars or American sports stars. Of course, there are dickheads that have played cricket, but I've always felt it a more mature, more relatable sport than most others on a people level. It's always seemed to me that their ego carries through predominantly in the game, rather than outside as much (again, there are a number of exceptions). I can't quite put it into words I guess, but it just feels so local and so personal.

Hughes became a superstar very early in cricket and in the age of the internet. it's a non stop info feed about a player if you want it to be. That makes it all seem more intimate with people you've never met than it ever did when I was young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back