Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know much about the draft and players but from what I have seen on the highlights videos all players look exceptional. The key is that they all seem like footballers (as opposed to athletes, left footers etc). Would not surprise me if they were all regulars within a couple of years. Best of luck to the young lads.
Interesting post. Low risk is likely the approach with this draft.

You mean like .... Hodge Mitchell Sewell and Burgoye? A lot of weight will need to be burdened by Hill, Shiels, O'Rourke, Anderson, Hartung and Langford in 24months and beyond. I hope they're up to it.

Yes, but due to good planning, part of that problem has already been pushed well along. Sewell got pushed out by Langers. Hill is already pulling his weight and then some. Shiels...do I even need to go into Shiels. Hodge, Mitch and Burgers are the keys left.

But my point is, we recruited mids at different age groups, and never let any stay and stagnate, clogging up an age group. Hodge/Mitch/Burgers are in that 30+ group, but then you have Lewis who is in his late 20s, WhiteX/Smith in their mid-20s, Hilly/Langers early-20s...and so on.

Lowden just didn't fit the age bracket anymore. What's the point in having a mid-20s ruckman sit on your list playing VFL week in week out, but not developing (owing to skill cap of VFL), when you can just reset the process with a youngster, who WOULD benefit from VFL exposure, and potentially develop into someone who can challenge our top rucks in time.

Interesting to read out of all the 'winners and losers' from the draft Ricky Nixon seems to think we are up there with Melb and the Pies... no one else thinks we've done well. I'm quiety very happy.
Well we didn't have high picks and we didn't pick up anyone who was talked about lots in the media so as far as the media is concerned we did poorly.

I'll back Wright though.

Interesting to read out of all the 'winners and losers' from the draft Ricky Nixon seems to think we are up there with Melb and the Pies... no one else thinks we've done well. I'm quiety very happy.

Pies apparently do brilliantly every year, yet they keep falling behind us.

Well we didn't have high picks and we didn't pick up anyone who was talked about lots in the media so as far as the media is concerned we did poorly.

I'll back Wright though.

Agreed. Howe is a clear Hawthorn model recruit. Genuine elite kicking. Other sides just don't seem to follow the Hawthorn model. Pick a player who is generally good but elite at one thing (rather than jack of all trades). These type of players are the best for a sport with 18 players on the field - there is no need for anyone player to dominate provided you have 18 players who are elite at their role.

The examples on the Hawthorn list of this model in action are endless: Hill, Hartung and Smith (elite runners), Birchall, Burogyne and Suckling (elite kicks), Mitchell and Langford (elite in tight), Pup and Rioli (elite tacklers), Gunston (elite goalkicking).

Happy for other teams to keep trying to recruit all round players while we keep stuffing our trophy cabinet.

I'll back Wright though.
We kind of did though (get people talked about in the media) - O'Rourke and Frawley.

If we think of Howe as our second pick and O'Rourke as our first, having already nabbed the best free agent,we have done really well.

Agreed. Howe is a clear Hawthorn model recruit. Genuine elite kicking. Other sides just don't seem to follow the Hawthorn model. Pick a player who is generally good but elite at one thing (rather than jack of all trades). These type of players are the best for a sport with 18 players on the field - there is no need for anyone player to dominate provided you have 18 players who are elite at their role.

The examples on the Hawthorn list of this model in action are endless: Hill, Hartung and Smith (elite runners), Birchall, Burogyne and Suckling (elite kicks), Mitchell and Langford (elite in tight), Pup and Rioli (elite tacklers), Gunston (elite goalkicking).

Happy for other teams to keep trying to recruit all round players while we keep stuffing our trophy cabinet.
Agree with this post heaps except for Rioli -he's just elite full stop

I think Wright did pretty well considering that he didn't have any high picks. People seem disappointed about some of the people we picked because they weren't as good as others still available but who are we to judge? The recruiting staff are professionals at what they do and they would go into more depth then just looking at a players highlights on YouTube.

I feel that our picks were pretty safe and they all have a chance of coming in and playing a role, if not more, in the 22 in a few years. These role players make us a champion team and we all know that a champion team beats a team of 'champions' *cough* Sydney *cough*.

In Wright we trust.

We kind of did though (get people talked about in the media) - O'Rourke and Frawley.

If we think of Howe as our second pick and O'Rourke as our first, having already nabbed the best free agent,we have done really well.
That is a great way to look at it!

Pies apparently do brilliantly every year, yet they keep falling behind us.

That is because they have a flog of coach who knows crap all about modern footy, i.e. anything that has emerged since he retired from playing and began plotting Malthouse's downfall. :)

Oh well, they have to sell their newspapers somehow and intelligence and integrity have never sold papers like publishing the latest pies beat up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha, you need to meet John, my Collingwood supporting Brother-in-law!

John reckons the Pies have a better midfield than us already, before the Draft. He says they have a better group of forwards. He says Cloke is better than Roughie and their small forwards are better than ours.

I don't want to meet John now, because clearly Collingwood has drafted all the best young midfield talent and will dominate the league.
They may even win another premiership in the next 20 years ...

I think I know the type. The type that only watches their club games and watch a very small amount of neutral games and think they're an expert on teams and players.

Everyone keeps on banging on about tall midfielders but we did beat Freo with their Barlow/Mundy/Fyfe set up with our "midget" midfield.

Even if this trend is one to follow - don't we just use Litherland, Birchall, Stratton and Gunston in the midfield more to counter it???

So If I understand right - we lost Hallahan, Cheney, Lowden

and gained Frawley, O'Rourke, Howe, Miles, Pittonet and added Willmore and Webster from the rookie list.

I think for a reigning back to back premiers - that is an amazing trade/draft period. Certainly strengthened the list in every respect

That is because they have a flog of coach who knows crap all about modern footy, i.e. anything that has emerged since he retired from playing and began plotting Malthouse's downfall. :)

Oh well, they have to sell their newspapers somehow and intelligence and integrity have never sold papers like publishing the latest pies beat up.

I'm sure they would like to draft Clarko, if you could draft coaches.;)

I read drafting threads to get my dose of crazy. I don't appreciate logic in these parts.

I think some mentioned in here that the draftees to come to HFC were all natural footballers. It's so much easier increasing someone's fitness than teaching them how to play football.

As long as the players we have drafted have footy smarts, good decision making, willingness to improve and good skills they will thrive in our environment.

Soooooo basically we gave up pick 19 and 40 and received O'Rourke + Frawley (pick 2 and 12) and pick 43 and still had pick 31 to spend on a natural born footballer in Howe, sounds fair.

For those of you who read a bit in to draft camp results, I noticed that all of Howe, Miles & Pittonet rated top 10 in at least one testing category. So, given that none of them are spuds athletically and they all appear to be natural footballers with hard work ethics (from what I've read), this appears to be a good place to start!

Completely agree, but it was reviews based on our drafting (those 3 picks in isolation) rather than our entire recruiting in general. If we're talking the latter then for a B2B reigning premier we cleaned up so well I wouldn't be surprised to find 17 other clubs have called for an AFL audit on our club.

35% of all draftees every year will be nothing but spuds. Trust Wrighty.

I read an article a couple of years ago that listed the average % and stats of drafted players who went on to play an AFL game and the ones that go on to play more then 50,100,200,300 games, the attrition rate enormous. it was over half the players or something ridiculous, I wish I could find it

Think Geelong did really well this draft and trade period. Added speed with Cockatoo and inside grunt with Gore to go with the talls they picked up in the trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back