Player Watch Matthew Goodyear (Delisted 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

We have Broomhead, Fas, Elliot, etc to play Cavka's Fwd/mid spot so the two links on goodyear and cavka might help you decide who you like.
I think Goodyear gives the list more balance and he looks like he has a higher ceiling to reach in development in he's game, skills etc.
Matthew Goodyear (Calder Cannons)
Height:
185 cm
Weight: 77 kg
Position: Midfielder
Strengths: Ball Winning, Endurance, Speed, Tackling, Consistency
Weaknesses: Composure, Disposal
http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-matthew-goodyear/

Damien Cavka (Calder Cannons)
Height:
184 cm
Weight: 79 kg
Position: Midfielder
Strengths: Finding the ball, endurance, hitting the scoreboard
Areas of improvement: Field kicking
http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-damien-cavka/
you know your stuff mate

LosAlamitos10_Goodyear_Blimp_1346.jpg

Apple-Hires-Drebin-Teversham-For-All-Out-Assault-On-Handheld-Gaming.jpg

giphy.gif

Priscilla Presley: Goodyear????

Frank Drebin: They weren't all good years baby!

Welcome aboard son. Reading through this thread it appears you're gaining traction with the fans despite such a low profile.

Like "Wheels" as a nickname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have him as Wait and See with him as I said about Langdon last year
At least Langdon was a good decision maker as a junior and elite kick.

I know nothing about him but I just went back and read the welcome to Collingwood thread for Tom Langdon which is pretty similar to how this one has started which may be a good sign.

Very interesting statement in there also from a quality poster which has hit the nail on the head that basically says, when Hine see's a deficiency on our list somewhere he usually loads up in that area which has seemed to ring true again this year.

Happy to have Goodyear at this pick, whilst not as highly rated as Laverde he has similar traits.

Would have been rapt with Cavka at pick 65, a pick we on traded to the Lion scum in the Beams deal.

I can only conclude the club at the time felt it was a pick we would not use.

All the same it was disappointing to see him go one pick later at 66 to the Eagles.

Happy to have Goodyear at this pick, whilst not as highly rated as Laverde he has similar traits.

Would have been rapt with Cavka at pick 65, a pick we on traded to the Lion scum in the Beams deal.

I can only conclude the club at the time felt it was a pick we would not use.

All the same it was disappointing to see him go one pick later at 66 to the Eagles.
Yea, fair point, KJ, although they clearly preferred Goodyear to Cavka and maybe they thought they were too similar anyway.

Now that I've settled down and got over the fact the draft didn't go exactly how I planned;) I must say I don't mind the look of this kid at all.

Certainly has a skill set that we require in speed and endurance and hell he even averaged more ball per week at TAC level than any of De Goey, Laverde or Langford so he knows how to find it.

Now to develop and improve what he does with it.

You don't finish 2nd in a clubs best and fairest without talent that's for sure.

It's pick 48 so at this range it's always going to be hit and miss when it comes to players being able to make the grade at AFL level.

Welcome to Collingwood Matthew and best of luck.

Yea, fair point, KJ, although they clearly preferred Goodyear to Cavka and maybe they thought they were too similar anyway.
On a needs basis the club chose well for mine with Goodyear, a pick that was ultimately our last selection.

My source suggests Cavka was in the mix at 48 and would have been snapped up by us if we still had pick 65 and hadn't gifted that pick to Brisbane.

Last edited:
So was Goodyear the player a certain poster told us we had guaranteed to take at 48 if available?

The draft is over now spill the beans.

So was Goodyear the player a certain poster told us we had guaranteed to take at 48 if available?

The draft is over now spill the beans.
Believe me when I say we've done well with all three mids, but Goodyear has the most upside in my opinion, particularly with a lighter and more athletic frame than our other two boys. Having seen Calder on a number of occasions this year I wouldn't be surprised if we talking in my about Goodyear in more revered terms than the other two in a few years time.
Firstly lets put the Cavka myth to bed. Cavka mainly played half forward this year for Cannons not midfield, Goodyear leaves him for dead as a mid boasting top ten stats in the TAC in contested possession, clearances and hard ball gets- better stats across the board than De Goey and Maynard. His Vic Metro stats weren't as impressive but im led to believe he battled through injuries and illness during the carnival. My inside word tells me is when they compared Cavka and Goodyear, Derek weighed up athlete vs pure footballer (thank god we took a footballer). On top that he has elite speed and endurance (nowhere near Cavkas endurance, but no one in the draft was).
His kicking is not all doom and gloom, Goodyear and Touk Miller seemed to be the go to players for Calder this year and Goodyear often won that first possession/clearance under pressure- that style of game will always impact on kicking efficiency. His technique is sound although his low flat kicks need a little work. When you look at his videos he can hit targets effectively when he has time and space. His biggest issue is decision making and composure when running at top speed with the ball-our boys will fix this and I believe the recruiters knew that that this wasn't a major concern. Ive looked at the draft a few times (yes I'm a pies tragic) and Hines didnt hesitate when he called Goodyears name out-they never had Cavka earmarked for that pick, Goodyear is who they wanted.
I also hear his onfield leadership is impeccable. This boy was in the best in 10 games including all finals in the second best team (best during the h&a season ) in the best u18 comp in the land.
What his vids dont show is his defensive game which is outstanding-he averages nearly 2 more tackles a game than De Goey and works extremely hard both ways, which is what we need at the pies.
Ponder these stats fellow pies tragics and start to get excited because weve picked up a steal. Im throwing in the highly touted no.3 pick and disposal efficiency king (???) Angus Brayshaw as a interesting comparison with our 3 boys.
TAC averages
contested possession
Mayn 9.1
De Goe 6.9
Goody 12.3
Brayshaw 11.5
Disposal efficiency
May 65.3%
De goe 69 %
Good 61 %
Brayshaw 57.8%
Average possessions
Mayn 21.9
De goey 15.1 (this worries me a bit)
Goody 23.3
Brayshaw 23.5
Tackles
Mayn 5.9 (love that)
De goe 2.8
Goody 4.4
Brayshaw 6

We need to take a deep breath, look at the facts and give this boy an opportunity to develop because I believe we have what they call in the industry a 'hidden gem'. I will not be surprised if we have another Swanny (big call I know-but both from Calder, Goodyear pick 48, Swanny 58) on our hands!!!
Welcome to our GREAT club Matthew Goodyear!!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back