Analysis 2014 Preseason & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were interested in them we surely would have just picked them up as delisted free agents.

If they have been given a commitment of being re-drafted onto their club's rookie list, I think clubs do the right thing and not snaffle them.
We find ourselves in the same position with Tanner Smith, so others won't select him.
I'm fairly sure Grimley has been given a commitment.

If they have been given a commitment of being re-drafted onto their club's rookie list, I think clubs do the right thing and not snaffle them.
We find ourselves in the same position with Tanner Smith, so others won't select him.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that.

I forgot you can't sign free agents to the rookie list anyway (I think?) so we would still have to wait for the draft if we wanted them anyway.

Actually the hawks stated publically that they would rookie him IF no other club drafted or f/a him. They put on the rider to give other clubs and Grimley the opportunity. In none of the other eight re-rookie nominees did the club say it that way.

How about Elliot Le Grice. Overlooked last year but won The best young player award at Sandringham this year as a key defender. Is training with St Kilda so is interest elsewhere but looks like the ideal pick for us. Season of vfl under his belt and probably could fill a role if required next year.

Here's his profile from last years draft.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/elliot-le-grice

Here we go again talking about all the available talls before a draft. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a good definition of insanity.

Anyway - anyone had a look at 194cm KPD from Subi called Adam Creeper? Kicks ok and seems to move well. Maybe a couple of years of development could turn him into reasonable lock down player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Elliot Le Grice. Overlooked last year but won The best young player award at Sandringham this year as a key defender. Is training with St Kilda so is interest elsewhere but looks like the ideal pick for us. Season of vfl under his belt and probably could fill a role if required next year.

Here's his profile from last years draft.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/elliot-le-grice

Not short enough.

'Fremantle are considering 19 year old Hughes in the rookie draft' from today's West. Ethan Hughes from Swan Districts is a 189cm 81kg midfielder.

'Fremantle are considering 19 year old Hughes in the rookie draft' from today's West. Ethan Hughes from Swan Districts is a 189cm 81kg midfielder.

Oh for *'s sake.

On the other hand, this is the media overcompensating for having egg on their face after spending the entire lead up to the draft saying we were going to go KPP for our first pick.

Some players that are still available for selection and I rate from their draft tapes are
1. Daniel Coghlan 186cm ,86 kgs Age 23 similar to Spurr .
2. Fraser Pearce 186cm , 76 kgs mid good clean hands .
3 .Tim Jones 181 cm, 78 kgs a lot to like about this kid .
4. Jack Sinclare 180 cm , 78 kgs Clancee's twin Age 19 yrs
5. Michael Manteit 186 cm 81 kgs Great both sides ,good hands ,quick , Back Pocket .
6 Billy Evans 187cm ,82 kgs Barlow like .
7 Erin Wasley- Black 187 cm 83 kgs Defender L\F mobile quick Good mark .
8. Shannon Taylor 178 cm ,74 kgs Walters like .
9. Rory Sheridan-Ferrie 189 cm , 76 kgs This kid can PLAY .
10. Taylor Grace 184cm ,77 kgs L\F Just a bloody good footballer .
11. Darcy Cameron 203cm , 98 kgs 19 Yrs , this kids highlight tape is awesome .
12. Ryan Tester 198cm, 83kgs , 19 Yrs ,would not mind getting this guy .
13. Tom Read 200 cm 92 kgs Just a kid but could be anything in the future .
14 Peter Spurling 199 cm , 88 kgs This kid gets me very excited

I've only listed players not mentioned before or only fleetingly .
Tanner Smith deserves another go the other spot on our list is a big question mark but these kids deserve a look at IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back