List Mgmt. Welcome Liam Duggan Pick 11 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Chalk up another Leftie!
Welcome Duggs

Loved the comments by Duggan when interviewed.

Duggan finished equal-seventh in the three-kilometre time trial in a time of 10:11 and registered 26/30 in the kicking test at the AFL draft combine.

"I'm over the moon about the selection and really grateful about the opportunity," Duggan told Sports Today.

"I chatted with most clubs across the year and since draft combine a further nine. Since then it was a bit quiet and I was thinking I might get picked up between the eight and 12 mark in the draft.

"Apparently left footers can't kick on their right but I'm trying to prove that wrong."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...midfielders-in-afl-draft-20141127-11vx5g.html

It is interesting that both Duggan and Lamb are nearly 12 months younger than Petracca, Brayshaw, Laverde and DeGoey.

With 12 months more development there is every chance that they are up with the best in the draft.
Duggan was born a whole week after Laverde and Lamb is a few months older than him. Even then, I don't see those months as that big a factor.

Duggan was born a whole week after Laverde and Lamb is a few months older than him. Even then, I don't see those months as that big a factor.
Laverade 12/4/96 Duggan 11/12/96 according to AFL Draft Supplement in Inside Football.
Brayshaw and Petracca January 96 birthdays.

Welcome Liam,

The kid looks to be a gun long term player, and after a little surprise at passing on Laverde it seems like the recruiters must have had their reasons. Looks like a pretty solid draft this year.

Being 12 months younger he almost feels like a 2015 draftee physically, but he seems fairly mentally mature for his age and a top bloke. I can't really see him being a bust, but not expecting much next year.

Our recruiters certainly have a type, and I thought he might get the nickname Liam "Spades" Duggan - since we've 'got his type in spades'... But he looks to have a little more class and leadership quality - something we are lacking as evidenced by the lack of clarity on who will captain the team going forwards.

Dark sharks you should just go and support another team mate. You sook cause we don't get Laverde yet 14/15 clubs skipped him as we'll?? But yeh he is the player we should have picked!

You bag Sheed an 18 year old last year and now call him an average "uncreative'' mid. You got no idea mate. You ever played footy or you just look at yourself in the mirror all day?

How about support mate!!

Get a grip. If you can't cop any feedback other then your own positive fanboy opinion, then you're probably suited more to the west coast facebook page.

You don't know s**t about Laverde. You have absolutely no idea about the situation or why he slid, it could have been nothing. And if you think the disappointment of passing him was felt only by myself then i suggest after you grow a brain, you head on down to the draft thread and read everyone's reaction when we drafted Duggan instead. You'll probably feint from all the negativity.

How have i got no idea? I have stuck to my opinion about sheed for 14 months now, and so far he has delivered exactly as i thought he would. After winning the Larke medal as the best player of the carnival he spent the majority of the season in the WAFL. Where he will most likely be again this season.

Have i ever played footy or do i just look at myself in the mirror all day, how's about support... mate. I'm not going to bother lowering my IQ by replying to something as stupid as that.

It can make a massive difference. It depends on the development stage. I recall a stat in the English Premier League that 50% of the top players have birthdays in the first 3 months of the year. They start selecting into academies at around age 12!!!!

It can make a massive difference. It depends on the development stage. I recall a stat in the English Premier League that 50% of the top players have birthdays in the first 3 months of the year. They start selecting into academies at around age 12!!!!

The last couple of years in AFL recruiting the boys with late birthday are getting a second look - following the recruiting trends of US Football (more college but some at NFL given the boys are usually over 20 when they turn pro).

Some research:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100202101251.htm
http://freakonomics.com/2011/11/02/the-disadvantages-of-summer-babies/

upload_2014-11-29_10-32-35.png

From the D&T Board

Liam Duggan
Height: 183cm
Weight: 76kg
Position: Midfielder, Defender​

Before now, I've largely looked at the some of the lesser known players and later round picks but it's time to look a bit closer to the top of the draft. And from a surprisingly talented Western Jets side (you don't say that very often) the best is Liam Duggan. He's had an interesting couple of months in terms of what people are saying about him. From a consensus top 10 pick prior to the Championships, now the likes of Callum Twomey and Jon Anderson haven't included Duggan in their early top 20 lists. So of course, people are jumping on that and proclaiming him to be a second round pick and not as good as first thought. But that doesn't bother me. Duggan was and still is one of the best midfielders in the draft. And yes, he's a midfielder.

Firstly, I think there is come confusion when it comes to the type of player that Duggan is. A lot of the talk around him is about him being a defender, but he is much more than. Yes, in the TAC Cup last year he played across half back. And it's a role he played again for Vic Metro in four of his five games in the U18 Championships this year. But in the TAC Cup this year, he has taken his game to a new level and that's by moving into the midfield - and into a genuine inside midfield role. It's back to the future for Duggan, as midfield is where he made his name in the U16s.

And a possible reason as to why he has dropped off in some people's minds, is because his final two matches in the U18 Championships were not quite as good as his first three - and as they were the televised games, that's what people will remember. But Duggan was consistent through all matches, and was able to show off a number of different skills and attributes. In the opening round, Duggan finished with 17 touches - 11 of which were contested. In Round 3, he finished with a huge 10 tackles. And across all five matches he played, Duggan finished with a disposal efficiency of around 75-80%. His 2014 TAC Cup season has been both consistent and excellent. Playing in the midfield, he has shown a good ability in close and is a better contested player than he gets credit for. Yes, there is still room for improvement and he doesn't compare to the absolute best clearance players in the draft but he can hold his own. The other pleasing aspect of his season to date is with his ability to push forward. And in one game in which Duggan was battling injury, he went forward and kicked 3 goals.

Duggan's disposal is a strength of his, both by foot and hand. He has shown himself to be a good kick over both short and long distance, and it's no surprise that Vic Metro were so keen to have him across half back. I'd rate him in the top handful of players when it comes to foot skills. His tackling pressure is another real positive to his game, whether he's down back or in the midfield he is always on the move and chasing down opponents. All in all, Duggan just does most things well.

In terms of weaknesses, I don't think there are a lot of major ones. You could argue that he is just good, not great in a lot of areas. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. His kicking isn't quite as good under pressure, but that's true of most players. Otherwise, he is a little like Heath Shaw as a defender. He can be shut out of the game when his opponent takes away his space and run, and last year his best performances came when his team was playing well. And that's one reason that I like him more in the midfield, he can work himself into the game and not worry so much about a direct opponent.

Personally, I still have him as one of the better midfielders in the draft and would be comfortable with spending a top 10 pick on Duggan.
It seems like more than anything else, it's simply a case of some taller midfielders creating interest as opposed to Duggan falling away. But he is a versatile player, and capable of playing both an uncontested and contested game. He probably wont ever get there strength wise, but his game isn't too unlike that of Jimmy Bartel - Brownlow Medal aside of course.

Don't know where you got Laverde's DOB from - He was born on 12/04/1996.

Duggan's DOB is 11/12/1996. Duggan is almost 8 months younger than Laverde.

Lamb is pretty young too compared to the other talls with a DOB - 19/10/96. Plenty of scope for improvement and maturing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know where you got Laverde's DOB from - He was born on 12/04/1996.

Duggan's DOB is 11/12/1996. Duggan is almost 8 months younger than Laverde.

Lamb is pretty young too compared to the other talls with a DOB - 19/10/96. Plenty of scope for improvement and maturing.
Duggan's video had his date of birth spot on, but had Laverde's month/day mixed around. I figured if Duggan's was right then Laverde's would have been too. My bad.

I've heard him be reffered to Heath Shaw a few times now, or Suckling as a running defender, or a running player. He even described himself as such.

How does that work? I can't recall him taking a bounce or finding any space in his highlights packages. It's all about his footskills.

I'm intrigued about this apparent 'outside game' he's got.

Liam Duggan joins two other ex St Pats College Ballarat boys at WC in Mitch Brown and Matt Rosa.

St Pats has produced 121 VFL/AFL players over the years and in 2015 will have 22 players on AFL lists.(a full team, something not matched by any other school in history)

Word out of Ballarat is that Duggan is one of the best they have produced.

Has been described a true leader, a player who took up the mantle when games were in dispute and dragged his team mates over the line.

I don't understand why so much hate over his selection?
I think a lot of people were excited at the prospect of Cockatoo and it is just the disappointment of missing out on him by one pick that is seeping through onto some negativity regarding Liam.

Liam Duggan joins two other ex St Pats College Ballarat boys at WC in Mitch Brown and Matt Rosa.

St Pats has produced 121 VFL/AFL players over the years and in 2015 will have 22 players on AFL lists.(a full team, something not matched by any other school in history)

Word out of Ballarat is that Duggan is one of the best they have produced.

Has been described a true leader, a player who took up the mantle when games were in dispute and dragged his team mates over the line.

I love his determined attitude - very much comes across in his demeanour and voice. Reminds me a lot of Ben Cousins.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people were excited at the prospect of Cockatoo and it is just the disappointment of missing out on him by one pick that is seeping through onto some negativity regarding Liam.
More that people assumed Laverde is a superstar because he was linked to Collingwood at pick 5, and are disappointed we didn't take him.

Also that Duggan isn't fast and people assume that a fast player will improve our midfield

[QUOTE="Dark Sharks, post: 36263095, member: 115298]"How have i got no idea? I have stuck to my opinion about sheed for 14 months now, and so far he has delivered exactly as i thought he would. After winning the Larke medal as the best player of the carnival he spent the majority of the season in the WAFL. Where he will most likely be again this season.

Have i ever played footy or do i just look at myself in the mirror all day, how's about support... mate. I'm not going to bother lowering my IQ by replying to something as stupid as that.[/QUOTE]

So you are writing Sheed off as a bust are you?

If an 18 year old can't cement his place in our side in the first 12 months they are no good?

Is that your opinion?

More that people assumed Laverde is a superstar because he was linked to Collingwood at pick 5, and are disappointed we didn't take him.

Also that Duggan isn't fast and people assume that a fast player will improve our midfield
I think you just nailed it SpaceClef.

I'm not 'writing him off' given that i never rated him to begin with.

So no, i'm not judging him on what he's produced in his first 12 months for us at all. I'm thoroughly unsurprised with his first year. And at the same time have pointed out some encouraging things he's done, as well as acknowledging he wil obviously improve.

None of that changes my opinion of Sheed, which is that he will be a B grade player at best. Matt's replacement, to go along with Waterman. Only the difference with Waterman is that we payed a packet of chips for him, rather then pick #6 or pick #11

None of that changes my opinion of Sheed, which is that he will be a B grade player at best. Matt's replacement, to go along with Waterman. Only the difference with Waterman is that we payed a packet of chips for him, rather then pick #6 or pick #11
Priddis is far from a B grader. It sounds like you're limiting our recent draftees far too much. Sheed had an interrupted pre-season where he lost valuable size which was one of his strengths when captaining WA, so he was less effective in the front half where he usually plays pretty well when not racking it up in the midfield. Waterman is an elite inside player with a massive kick, fantastic strength and good acceleration that was rated a first round pick before he put the cue in the rack, so to speak. In a few years you'll see what they can be, don't expect them to be Ablett as soon as they hit the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back