List Mgmt. Pick 78 (2014) - Jesse Palmer 191cm fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Guys, sorry to intrude on your board but I'd like to wish Jesse good luck for you guys. I haven't seen Jesse play apart from the video highlights. He seems to play like his Dad (Shane) who was a big strong type player and good kick for goal. He played in plenty of premierships at the local level in the mallee and SwanHill area.
thank you for the info

Hi guys, I got to watch the rebels a lot this year and watched Jessie through juniors, so if you have any questions go for it.

All I can say is you have a great bloke that will work as hard as he can to be the best footballer he can.
His kicking is a little suspect at times but he has that ability to be in the right spot at the right time and gets a lot of shots on goal.
He is smart with his positioning and reads the ball very well in the air.
If he was a few centimetres taller he would be a very good second tall option at AFL level.
At 188cm he probably needs to work on his endurance and play as a lead up mid sized forward. I can see him being similar to Chris Mayne at Freo.

If you give him a chance you will not regret it.

Welcome to our club, Jessee. A lot of focus on his kicking but not a lot on the fact he had 67 shots on goal for a guy who is not that tall. I am guessing the lad had a fair few assist also, looks promising to me. Practice on his technique and build his endurance should help him a great deal.

Hi guys, I got to watch the rebels a lot this year and watched Jessie through juniors, so if you have any questions go for it.

All I can say is you have a great bloke that will work as hard as he can to be the best footballer he can.
His kicking is a little suspect at times but he has that ability to be in the right spot at the right time and gets a lot of shots on goal.
If he was a few centimetres taller he would be a very good second tall option at AFL level.
At 188cm he probably needs to work on his endurance and play as a lead up mid sized forward. I can see him being similar to Chris Mayne at Freo.

Few questions if you dont mind answering. His highlights video show a lot of the good stuff you mentioned I.e. body positioning, leading, marking etc.

What is he like once the ball hits the deck? Does he have the around the ground skillset for him to play stints in the midfield?

Few questions if you dont mind answering. His highlights video show a lot of the good stuff you mentioned I.e. body positioning, leading, marking etc.

What is he like once the ball hits the deck? Does he have the around the ground skillset for him to play stints in the midfield?

Happy to answer them:
One-on-one he is good in the air and when it hits the deck. That was mainly because he was stronger then his opponent but uses his body well to off set the man and hold the space where the ball is going to end up.
He doesn't have electric pace but he tackles well and will work hard to hold the ball in the forward 50.

he played midfield a bit with the rebels the problem was he was 1 of only a couple of real forward options that they have. The skills he would bring to the midfield would be his strength to hold opponents off, the way he attacks the ball and tackles hard, he is deceptively quick from hand to foot with the ball

some areas for improvement for midfield would be endurance, speed, game sense (much better as a forward) and attitude. by attitude I mean he is a quiet lad and doesn't talk much and needs to get some more confidence and so on to push into the middle

hope that answers the questions

North Ballarat upload all their games to youtube. So if you search rebelstv or rebeltv you can watch every game this year, including two games against the Bushies (featuring Howard). Palmer was one of their better players and featured prominently. Better than watching highlights.

Happy to answer them:
One-on-one he is good in the air and when it hits the deck. That was mainly because he was stronger then his opponent but uses his body well to off set the man and hold the space where the ball is going to end up.
He doesn't have electric pace but he tackles well and will work hard to hold the ball in the forward 50.

he played midfield a bit with the rebels the problem was he was 1 of only a couple of real forward options that they have. The skills he would bring to the midfield would be his strength to hold opponents off, the way he attacks the ball and tackles hard, he is deceptively quick from hand to foot with the ball

some areas for improvement for midfield would be endurance, speed, game sense (much better as a forward) and attitude. by attitude I mean he is a quiet lad and doesn't talk much and needs to get some more confidence and so on to push into the middle

hope that answers the questions
Cheers ... appreciate your making the effort to post here! The talent team obviously agree with you in that they have seen something in him. Look forward to seeing him develop over the next few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at those, Palmer runs up the ground more than I remembered. Saw him push right up the wings a few times. You can really see Howard's pace too when he burns off the ruckman around the 25 minute mark.

Interesting player comparison in chris mayne; does he have the same manic forward defensive ability?

Like Palmer's game in that vid. Doesn't look 191cm to me. He really does play a lot like Gus. Looks a quality get. Definitely something to work with there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back