Player Watch Matthew Goodyear (Delisted 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

He averaged 16.9 disposals in TAC. His averages in the TAC goes down because he got injured early in a match with only 1 touch.

Think he Broke his Hand?

That is a very interesting thing you bring Broomhead has Averaged about the same but I seen the games he played for us this year he was only averaging 12 Touches a game. Highest was 23 touches. What was he averaging in the VFL?
I'm not sure about his average in the VFL but from memory in his final weeks of VFL matches before his senior call up he was consistently getting more than 25 touches. Obviously the VFL is a huge step down from AFL and maybe they can't be compared, but it shows that he can find the ball. Hopefully he can make the step up to AFL.

De Goey averaged 17.7 disposals at TAC cup level going off the stats I've got.

Think the 15.1 was his average during the championships.
15-17 he'll still need more of it. Im certainly not trying to run the kid down as he's one of us now and look forward to watching his career unfold and hopefully a successful one at that. My post was more about giving you a perspective of someone who has seen Goodyear play quite a bit over the last couple of years (have watched jets and cannons games over that period of time). And my point is (and my own personal observations and stats back this up) is that we've got a talented player at pick 48. Many experts have rated our clubs draft performance as one of the best in the draft......and I personally I agree!! Forget Gore, Cavka or anyone else we've got Goodyear and im going to back him in!!!

15-17 he'll still need more of it. Im certainly not trying to run the kid down as he's one of us now and look forward to watching his career unfold and hopefully a successful one at that. My post was more about giving you a perspective of someone who has seen Goodyear play quite a bit over the last couple of years (have watched jets and cannons games over that period of time). And my point is (and my own personal observations and stats back this up) is that we've got a talented player at pick 48. Many experts have rated our clubs draft performance as one of the best in the draft......and I personally I agree!! Forget Gore, Cavka or anyone else we've got Goodyear and im going to back him in!!!

Stats does not tell the Entire Story of a Game

Does he have a left foot?
Can use his left and seen him use it effectively on a few occasions but he's like most kids where if they can get time and space will use their preferred. If he can work on composing himself just before he kicks the pill, kicking wont be an issue. He's got terrific break away speed, therefore he might only have to use his right.

At first I was disappointed with this selection as I wanted Cavka (who was still there) and like most others (who are not regular U18 watchers) was like who the hell is Matthew Goodyear?

Most of the draft scribes had us linked to Cavka and I thought that after we landed some bigger bodied midfield types (De Goey and Maynard) we had the opportunity to compliment this with some outside run and endurance at 48 (Cavka). This is purely my opinion but I reckon that it would have been between Cavka and Goodyear for us at this pick. Looking at their TAC cup stats both posted very similar numbers. But Cavka as the running link man kicks more goals.

Goodyear probably got the nod as he sounds like he has the more rounded game and can go inside and outside. If Cavka was still on the board at 75 I think that we would have pulled the trigger. Unfortunately those Wet Toast Eagles spoiled the party at 66 and we passed. Would have been nice to have retained our 4th rounder that we sent to Brisbane with Beams. Darn it!

I wish Goodyear the best of luck and he might turn out to be another late Hine special but I will be tracking how Cavka goes out West very closely. Maybe in two years time when he wants to come back to Victoria we might have another crack then. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can use his left and seen him use it effectively on a few occasions but he's like most kids where if they can get time and space will use their preferred. If he can work on composing himself just before he kicks the pill, kicking wont be an issue. He's got terrific break away speed, therefore he might only have to use his right.

So he is a bit like Freeman was like last year. Does not slow down before he Kicks and try’s to kick a Full Pace?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back