Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a massive hole on our list which might have been filled with this one. A CHB who can hurt you the other way, just so incredibly valuable. Be interesting to see what happens with Bruce long term, maybe he stays forward to be the forward/ruck and someone like Lee goes back? So many possibilities.

He is tall, much taller than Paddy and ridiculously wide across the shoulders

He and Bruce.... Both tall fwd/backs

Shane. Ellen.

I mean in terms of a KB who can hurt you in attack, not in the context of his entire career, but when it counts.

Makes a difference, as we have seen.

Still can't believe we got him at 21. Most experts/phantoms had him at 6 to GWS with some changing 24hrs before the draft but still suspecting he went at Adelaide's pick 14 at the latest. Freo going a mid was what really let him slide to 21 with the Blues helping by picking the unknown guy.

A lot of similarities with the Grundy pick. He went from pick 3 to 18, Goddard 6 to 21, both slid 15 places from where they were expected. I feel clubs are very conservative with the tall guys so looks like we got a bargain and took the risk seeing as we are in it for the long term not looking for Goddard to have an immediate impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The impression I get about Goddard as a forward ( only from other peoples reviews mind you ) is that he has all the tools as a forward but isn't all that imposing. I guess a bit like if Sam Fisher goes forward. Yeah is tall and can clunk a mark , but there's a bit more too it that he needs to learn.
Meanwhile all the reports say he's excellent as a back , able to limit opponents and rebound as well, but maybe not great if the ball goes to ground.

I have a feeling that once a player starts sliding they can continue to do so for a good 10 picks because clubs can get spooked that others are overlooking them. Takes a smart club to break the bullshit though!

Good to see that the tradition continues. I'm sure a lot of people expected Hugh Goddard to go top 10 and well before the draft he was touted as a #1 although I suspect that had a bit to do with his name as well as his ability. Hopefully you do as well with your #21 as we did with ours(Jarman Impey was our #21 pick last year).

I have a feeling that once a player starts sliding they can continue to do so for a good 10 picks because clubs can get spooked that others are overlooking them. Takes a smart club to break the bullshit though!
I think it had a lot more to do with clubs needs this time around. With that group from about 5-20 being considered so even, clubs were able to focus more on what they needed and some of the clubs ahead of us clearly weren't looking for height, such as West Coast (who are stacked at both ends), Geelong (who went small all draft), Freo (who also went small all draft, after reportedly targeting height in the past couple of years), Carlton (who just got in Jones and Jaksch- who is similar to Goddard in a lot of ways- and wanted outside run) and once Freo and Geelong went small- when most expected them to go tall- it greatly increased the chances of one of the 4 KPD options slipping through the net of the top 20.

The top 20 went largely as expected (just the order which was up in the air) so it was just down to Carlton taking Boekhurst which probably allowed Hugh to get through to us. Had Carlton taken Laverde then you'd have to think Essendon would have taken Goddard, simply as the clear best available.

Thank you Carlton!

If they both develop Into the players we hope. We could end up with 2 seriously good swing men able to play at either end.
Will make us a lot less predictable and a hard side to match up on in a few yrs.
Two very important players for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to look at his stats for the 2013 season below, when it looks like Hugh played mostly forward. He kicked 3 goals in 4 of his 8 games and 2 in 3 of the remaining 4. That's a good number of goals for someone that wasn't even old enough to be drafted yet and who is supposedly better down back than up front. A good number of contested marks in those games too, especially for someone playing up forward, with a high of 5 in one game. You've got to wonder how much his hip op in the offseason had an effect on his output and mobility this season.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...=1-3020-111704-253881-18717771&ocompID=253881

Last edited:
What made him fall from potential number 1 to late first round though? Did his game stop developing?
It was a set of freakish circumstances. The way the draft fell with GWS not caring as they have 765 first round picks, Freo going Weller and Carlton having a moron as their head recruiter, allowed Langdon, Laverde and God's to slip. Will never happen again, I can tell you for a fact that we rated him top 6 but had heard that he may get to us. Carlton was the icing for us, if they pick Laverde Essendumb pick Goddard.

A year or 2 before being drafted Hugh Goddard was talked up as a possible No.1 pick, but slid to us at 21.
A year or 2 before being drafted Luke Dunstan was talked up as a possible No. 1 pick, but slid to us at 18.

Eerily similar, I hope Hugh comes along much like Luke.
Redo last years draft and Dunstan IMO is pick 3.

Interesting to look at his stats for the 2013 season below, when it looks like Hugh played mostly forward. He kicked 3 goals in 4 of his 8 games and 2 in 3 of the remaining 4. That's a good number of goals for someone that wasn't even old enough to be drafted yet and who is supposedly better down back than up front. A good number of contested marks in those games too, especially for someone playing up forward, with a high of 5 in one game. You've got to wonder how much his hip op in the offseason had an effect on his output and mobility this season.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...=1-3020-111704-253881-18717771&ocompID=253881
He is still growing also, is now 196.9 so really 197cm, could end up 200, which would be amazing. Also loved Shifters comment, said it was like the Hawks getting Buddy and Roughy. Shifter rated Goddard 4th best player in the draft.
Also interesting to note Champion data rated Jack Lonie the 17th best player in the draft, purely based on his stats, not personal evaluation.

He is still growing also, is now 196.9 so really 197cm, could end up 200, which would be amazing. Also loved Shifters comment, said it was like the Hawks getting Buddy and Roughy. Shifter rated Goddard 4th best player in the draft.
That would be brilliant if he does go above 197cm, he sure did look tall the other night, noticeably taller than Paddy-Mac, for instance. He's got a good leap, too and I really liked his side-step at the champs. Won't be surprised if we see some of him next season.

Also interesting to note Champion data rated Jack Lonie the 17th best player in the draft, purely based on his stats, not personal evaluation.
Any idea how tall Blake Acres is now, Brian? Just going off recent images looks to be around 6'4"?

It was a set of freakish circumstances. The way the draft fell with GWS not caring as they have 765 first round picks, Freo going Weller and Carlton having a moron as their head recruiter, allowed Langdon, Laverde and God's to slip. Will never happen again, I can tell you for a fact that we rated him top 6 but had heard that he may get to us. Carlton was the icing for us, if they pick Laverde Essendumb pick Goddard.
Would they have got Boekhorst later?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back