Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really having trouble getting excited about this pick. Like that he's a good kick but sounds like if we're going to make him into a midfielder we're pretty much building him from the ground up. That's not always a bad thing though.
Players like him are often future captain material. Just listening to him and watching highlights - he's a leader and a smart one at that. He won't have any trouble motivating himself.

Probably my pick for best first year player next year.

I think he's a chance at Rnd 1 too. He runs a 15+ beep already, is a real leader and could probably assume McDonalds lockdown role to enable him to be played further up the ground.

He's played a lot of footy in key posts, he plays taller than what he is, will probably be a win-win, he's a better natural defender than McDonald and McDonald is a totally different player when up the ground.

He's definately the heir to spuds role with his versatility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's a chance at Rnd 1 too. He runs a 15+ beep already, is a real leader and could probably assume McDonalds lockdown role to enable him to be played further up the ground.

He's played a lot of footy in key posts, he plays taller than what he is, will probably be a win-win, he's a better natural defender than McDonald and McDonald is a totally different player when up the ground.

How do you see him in comparison to MacMillan?

Glad to be riding on the back of this bandwagon then. Eee-Vee-Dubs!

How do you see him in comparison to MacMillan?

They are similar in some respects. I think EVW has a higher ceiling though, especially when he puts on some real muscle. He said in his vision, and I've seen him do it before, one week he played FB on Patty McCartin the following week he was locking down on Petracca.

He's an inch taller than Ziebell, if he can fill out to a similar size, we will have a bloody good 3rd or 4th defender in my book.

JMAC has really developed into a solid player the last few seasons, a mr fix it through the midfield, I don't think he's capable of turning into a real great stopping defender, I think the club view him as a bit of an impact body through the midfield rotation with his size.

EVW is a much better kick.

I always think of a classier version of Nick Maxwell when I've watched him. I've no doubt he will make it, the club and especially Brad will absolutely love him, he's super smart and will set the standards off the field for the younger guys, he's got future captain written all over him.

They are similar in some respects. I think EVW has a higher ceiling though, especially when he puts on some real muscle. He said in his vision, and I've seen him do it before, one week he played FB on Patty McCartin the following week he was locking down on Petracca.

He's an inch taller than Ziebell, if he can fill out to a similar size, we will have a bloody good 3rd or 4th defender in my book.

JMAC has really developed into a solid player the last few seasons, a mr fix it through the midfield, I don't think he's capable of turning into a real great stopping defender, I think the club view him as a bit of an impact body through the midfield rotation with his size.

I always think of a classier version of Nick Maxwell when I've watched him. I've no doubt he will make it, the club and especially Brad will absolutely love him, he's super smart and will set the standards off the field for the younger guys, he's got future captain written all over him.
Arjen will be stoked.

Just happened to be surfing for a particular reference on leadership in Australia and an article by this bloke, Tony V-W, came up. Spooky.

TVW2004__2__400x400.jpg

Father, uncle?

Read somewhere he also played on Moore.

With Ziebell, Cunnington, McMillan, McDonald and now EVW and Durdin we have a lot of players that various people have said could be future captains. I actually think it's a key part of our recruiting process (and one of my favourite aspects of our recruiting) to bring in kids that are not only natural leaders but level-headed and mature. I know some have said that we could use a bit of campaigner and players that are a bit loose but i'd rather recruit good leaders every day of the week.

Especially if you can get your club to pay for your MBA in France.
Good luck to James and Essendon...personally paid for my MBA myself, have former AFL players and a former wallabies captain as colleagues. Good blokes sure, but lets face it, doubt they'd be in those roles if thrown in with the rest of the pack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back