Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Also giving recruiters a bad vibe in interviews isn't draft tempering. You aren't going to give recruiters of a club you don't want to go to a good vibe.

Yes it is. That's exactly what draft tampering is. Intentionally tanking because you don't want to go to a certain club.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sydney fan talks about unfair advantages. At least Cyril could've been picked up by another club – unlike the Swans and their academies that essentially work as 5-year elite training centres, paid for by someone else, with the fruits only ever belonging to them...

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
I didn't. Beatson just 2 days ago said it and a number of other recruiters at the table seemed to agree with him. That is why I brought it up now as I have heard the same thing before.

He said he gave short answers in his interview, which he still does these days.

Then he said the vision from his matches disappeared. No one else has said that.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Yes it is. That's exactly what draft tampering is. Intentionally tanking because you don't want to go to a certain club.

When a club interviews you, they want to know if you want to the club or not. Otherwise there would be no point of the interview in the first place.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney fan talks about unfair advantages. At least Cyril could've been picked up by another club – unlike the Swans and their academies that essentially work as 5-year elite training centres, paid for by someone else, with the fruits only ever belonging to them...
Do you ever actually know what you're talking about? Without getting into the fact that you're the first one to mention unfair advantages, tell me everything you know about the Swans academy. You probably couldn't tell me off the top of your head the zone area, let alone how it's funded.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney

Then he said the vision from his matches disappeared. No one else has said that.
For someone who believes Sydney players are getting paid 500k plus a year in ambassador payments, you sure are asking for a high level of proof.

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
For someone who believes Sydney players are getting paid 500k plus a year in ambassador payments, you sure are asking for a high level of proof.

Isn't it suspect that no one knows how much the NSW ambassadors get or what they do to justify it?

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Isn't it suspect that no one knows how much the NSW ambassadors get or what they do to justify it?
Hasn't stopped you posting hard numbers. Why you chose to lie repeatedly I'm not sure but as I said, it's a bit surprising how you're willing to do that with no evidence yet you're demanding proof here.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
A player making an equal effort to impress in all interviews with all clubs and also giving all clubs equal access to footage of them playing.
Equal footage maybe, how do you make someone put in a good effort with all interviewers though? Some players just wouldn't like the way interviews are going, or the people asking the question. Try going through 18 interviews and having each one at the exact same level. Throw in physical testing in between them too.

Rioli magic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A player making an equal effort to impress in all interviews with all clubs and also giving all clubs equal access to footage of them playing.

Maybe an 'effort to impress' judge could sit in on all interviews with every potential draftee?

As for the second point, it shouldn't be up to the player to compile footage of themselves and present it to clubs for their perusal, that's the clubs problem.

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it would happen on some level regularly, although it would be harder to prove than insider trading.

Other names that could be associated with it are

Kieran Jack
Jack Darling

There were rumours about Elliot Kavanagh and Essendon a few years ago. He hasn't actually set the world on fire so I think it can also backfire just as easily for the club involved.
Nope.

Darling getting caught at the school camp and him being assaulted had nothing to do with WC.

The kid was desperate to get drafted, apparently went out of his way to contact recruiters and took scans and medical reports to the draft camp

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
This.

Isn't this how, in round about terms, West Coast got Darling??

A bit of mis-information, a bit of dodginess and you get the player you want.

If this is the case though, rapt
No.

Darling slid because of a number of factors, stagnating in his draft year, injury, fooling about at school and concerns over a head injury post nightclub fight.

Never wanted to go to WC, but wanted to play with his mates for GC.

Kavanaugh, Heppel and Chad are the three that come to mind. Tanking interviews, injury rumors and flat refusing to stay interstate were how the three were supposed to have behaved. Makes me wonder about Laverde

cherub

All Australian
Aug 12, 2009
Shenton Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Rioli is a jet, yet if you consider the brass tacks, he's as effective as Ballantyne who is another forward-mid who doesn't have bad hamstrings. Both go when they have to. Meh.

Should the Hawks should be drafting the likes of Heeney, Davis and Mills who were bargains?
Mills hasn't been drafted. Davis went really late-4th round: lots of clubs had the opportunity to draft him. What pick did Langford go??

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I think if the Sydney recruiters needed to see footage of Rioli when they could have just watched him play, they weren't doing their jobs properly.
The guy who makes the final call can't be everywhere, particularly if he's interstate. He can read scouting reports, but when narrowing it down, having game footage that he can look at himself would be valuable.

Assuming the no footage story is true, of course.

Back