Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Test officially not starting on Thursday. That's all CA are saying. Hughes' funeral on Wednesday.

His family have said they still want it to go ahead

But too short a turn around to have the funeral on the Wednesday and the game the next day

hearing reports across the radio spectrum it seems to have much emphasis on nsw cricket. spare a thought for his current team!

Thank you for pointing this out. It has, at time, shat me to tears that this appears to be all about his NSW mates, but he was a Redback and a Striker. His current teammates had to leave him behind while returning to Adelaide. I haven't said anything until now because it just comes across as sour grapes, but I'm glad someone else has also recognised it.

Thank you for pointing this out. It has, at time, shat me to tears that this appears to be all about his NSW mates, but he was a Redback and a Striker. His current teammates had to leave him behind while returning to Adelaide. I haven't said anything until now because it just comes across as sour grapes, but I'm glad someone else has also recognised it.

suggest you avoid foxsports news

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm devastated I won't be in the state for the first day of the Adelaide Test, I would do anything to be there.
I'm lucky enough to be a saca member & have got the Monday off for it (Sat, Sun, Mon). Am gunna get the Fri off now too if it still goes ahead on the same date, just can't imagine the boys will be ready to go mentally, let alone boxing day or into the new year. It's guna hurt for a long time.

I'm lucky enough to be a saca member & have got the Monday off for it (Sat, Sun, Mon). Am gunna get the Fri off now too if it still goes ahead on the same date, just can't imagine the boys will be ready to go mentally, let alone boxing day or into the new year. It's guna hurt for a long time.

I agree that it will hurt for a long time, but I can't see any other tests being postponed. The Adelaide test is 9 days after the funeral, and just over two weeks since his passing, and by then I'd hope the attention would then turn to going out and playing the game for him.

It will be quite a sombre test series though (unless the Indian's cause another international incident).

I guess the next question will be when will the Brisbane test be shoehorned in - will it go inbetween Adelaide and Melbourne, or tack it on after Sydney, which would then impact the ODI tri-series.

I agree that it will hurt for a long time, but I can't see any other tests being postponed. The Adelaide test is 9 days after the funeral, and just over two weeks since his passing, and by then I'd hope the attention would then turn to going out and playing the game for him.

It will be quite a sombre test series though (unless the Indian's cause another international incident).

I guess the next question will be when will the Brisbane test be shoehorned in - will it go inbetween Adelaide and Melbourne, or tack it on after Sydney, which would then impact the ODI tri-series.
Yeah, I think tack it on at the end & push the ODIs together a bit. Or replace the test with a 3dayer (one innings each) or something at the end of the test series perhaps?

Have followed the tragedy since it occurred and haven't really managed to get my head around it. Still hoping it turns out to be just a bad dream.

Absolutely freak accident. But it doesn't diminish one once of the grief. My heart bleeds for Phil's family. For Abbott, and for all the players and families effected.

I must say the applause through the 63rd minute at the Victory vs Adelaide match last night was a nice touch.

RIP Phillip Hughes - gone but not forgotten.

Yes. It really does. It's become a media-driven bandwagon and I'm not comfortable with it at all.
It's hardly the first funeral to be shown on TV.

So what? This seems prurient, using that word in its wider sense.
People want to feel part of it and celebrate his life. It's a loss being felt across the country. It's not marketing it for $$ for TV networks. Otherwise CA themselves wouldn't be broadcasting it. If the family is okay with it then it's perfectly appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back