Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

I never implied that they drafted poorly, even though I did not agree with all picks. As I stated I would have liked a back up key position defender. I think our picks were okay, just thought we did not seem well prepared. Time will tell. I am a stickler for preparation and did not think we appeared very professional with business on the night. Also we drafted 5 players and yes I agree they do fit a need, however, we also have KPD needs and we didn't address those. We have lots of needs and it will still take another year or 2 of good development before we can truly contend. Yes we are slowly moving in the right direction but quick enough to stay ahead of the pack...not sure?

Agree on the defender, I'm hoping we get something in the upcoming drafts, it always hard to know if your on track but at least this isn't like the other times since the 80's when we have looked promising as they have all seemed to have revolved around one player who always ended up injured setting us back to square one.

You can never know if your keeping up with other team, after all look at Port we were well ahead and they leap frogged us but then they may just as easily slip back again, the main thing is the inner club is well run with funding we have never had before.

I believe this will give us the opportunity to stay in the upper rungs of the ladder and hopefully if things fall into place we can take that giant step to a flag one day, but really there are no guarantees for any club, but if you build the foundations right as the Hawks have done you give yourself the best chance to succeed, we still have a way to go but I feel we are on the right path, I think employing the leadership guy that Geelong had was a great move and something we really need, good leaders know how to get the team across the line and they teach the youngsters to be great leaders as well.

I've come right around to the Ellis selection after seeing the rest of selections. He will be the class and composure of a quality midfield group to come thru.

Only Rance
Why do I keep hearing we have KPD needs? I would've thought if anything we are well covered in this area...
Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Batchelor, Chaplin, Elton
Rance is the quality on that list. Chaplin is a tall that can't play tall. Elton has not made it and I doubt will. Grimes does not play well on big bodied forwards and can only play on a third tall. Which now leaves Batchelor who also can not play on a big forward and finally Astbury, who I think has talent but has not got on the park due to injury. He may make a player but we are vulnerable in my opinion.

Wines, Boak, Hartlett, cornes, polac, would like to see their U18 sprint times but don't reckon they are elite speedsters
Not sure about wingard, jonas, shulz westoff, gray
But I concede Meade and White have pace

Hardness and run smashed us not speed

Lol, * me, you're still parroting on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I would've warmed to this pick by now... Still haven't. Hoping he proves me wrong big styles.

He has a definite confidence about himself which I like, and singled out Cotch and Lids, I think he will be a gun.

Really great vid done by the AFL Players Association. Shows how much it all meant to him and his family.

You can see why he's so composed on the field, he's very calm and cruisey in every situation it seems.

Last edited:
Really great vid done by the AFL Players Association. Shows how much it all meant to him and his family.

You can see why he's so composed on the field, he's very calm and cruisey in every situation it seems.

Gteat video. Really shows how much getting drafted meant to him. Just shows what a great kid he is.

Also great to see Jack ring Corey personally, rather than text.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back