2014 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I can't see how they could be given any less either, but this is Essendon, one of the AFL royal family. If it was the Crows, it would be a lay down misere 2 year, ban.

I notice Lovett-Murray is taking legal action against the AFL saying they knew Essendon was up to something but failed to intervene. He's not going after the Essendon football club, he's going after the AFL for being negligent.:confused:
Well I hope he gets up. The kindest thing you could say about the AFL is that they were "asleep at the wheel" on drugs in sport.

They are far to interested in protecting the brand and on having an even competition, I don't blame anyone who has no confidence in them on this issue. Whilst it was Ahmed Saad, and they could make an an example of an individual, they take a tough stance. But a club, with a systematic and covert doping program..???? Into defence mode.

I don't trust the AFL on this one iota. But I have faith that ASADA will ensure that appropriate sanctions are applied.

Does the penalty they've already served (losing premiership points, draft penalties) factor in to this at all?
No, and remember that those penalties were also, when compared to the Crows far lesser crime, mitigated by the fact that Essendon have been so co-operative and helpful.

So the court action, missing or destroyed records, refusal to testify and to respond to ASADA notices is all just a figment of our vivid imaginations

Does the penalty they've already served (losing premiership points, draft penalties) factor in to this at all?
Only in the team penalty. AFL can argue they'd already penalised Essendon so no need to do so again. We ALL know that was for poor governance, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will say they've already punished them enough.

No, I expect dons to get another whack!
There IS a clause in the Anti-Doping code that refers to penalties if more than one player on a team receives infractions/bans. Unfortunately, the AFL have watered it down to read "at the AFL Commissions complete discretion". No way they'll get punished twice for the same offence, IMO.

BTW, they always say no player is bigger than the club. That's when I played.

Well today we see that one person is bigger than the game. Both Essendon and the AFL are so frightened $hitless of James Hird and litigation that they have taken a pathetic, defensive position on this issue.

There are a lot of similarities with Lance Armstrong and cycling. But in the end, despite protection at the highest levels he was brought to account, and I believe that Hird and Essendon will be too.

If that doesn't occur you may as well just let it become a doping "free for all", and the credibility of the AFL is massively compromised. They can take a hit to the competition for a year or two by applying appropriate sanctions, or they can become a joke by protecting their brand and the "integrity of the competition".

I agree with the posters in the thread about the size of the balls. And so far the AFL look like they've got their tongue firmly around James Hird's.

My passion for AFL has waned over the Tippett sanctions and how severe they were given no salary cap breach. If there was a breach, fair enough we should cop a harsh sanction. If Essendon get away with comparable sanctions for what they've done, I'm done with the sport and the game.

I love the Crows and Aussie Rules, and have faith that justice will be done. That's thanks to ASADA, I have very little faith in the AFL. Their record on drugs in the sport is deplorable.

It just makes me think of this....

379350-130928-wap-ostrow.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can the players roll over and play dead, admit guilt and take their punishment and end this bs?

I reckon most would accept a half a season ban maybe even a season and move forward with their life.

They had a chance at the Show Cause Notice stage. They declined to answer the SCNs which meant it was going straight to the Tribunal. They have been told over and over they took nothing 'illegal', even though the club didn't know what it was. According to Essendon sources they didn't want to go the we was duped line because people would think them guilty of being doped. Hate to break it to them but the vast majority of the football public do believe they doped and no matter what the result of this Tribunal they will continue to believe that it happened.

The players quite likely have been duped BUT that isn't really a defence at all under the WADA/ASADA/AFL code. As a player you have to know everything that has been given to you.

Also for the timing of it, Grotto, it took about 7 years to finally get Lance Armstrong. This is a lot shorter in comparison to that.

Can the players roll over and play dead, admit guilt and take their punishment and end this bs?

I reckon most would accept a half a season ban maybe even a season and move forward with their life.
The players had an opportunity to do this in their responses to the show cause notices. They didn't respond.

The players had an opportunity to do this in their responses to the show cause notices. They didn't respond.
The players have been poorly represented IMO, by lawyers paid for by essendon. Which means there is hopeless conflict of interest. The players should have gone out and got their own legal representation - lawyers that would make decisions based on the best interests of the players, not the club.

Essendon could not have one player accept a deal, because it then leaves them open to legal suits against them for failing to provide a safe work place.

They had a chance at the Show Cause Notice stage. They declined to answer the SCNs which meant it was going straight to the Tribunal. They have been told over and over they took nothing 'illegal', even though the club didn't know what it was. According to Essendon sources they didn't want to go the we was duped line because people would think them guilty of being doped. Hate to break it to them but the vast majority of the football public do believe they doped and no matter what the result of this Tribunal they will continue to believe that it happened.

The players quite likely have been duped BUT that isn't really a defence at all under the WADA/ASADA/AFL code. As a player you have to know everything that has been given to you.

Also for the timing of it, Grotto, it took about 7 years to finally get Lance Armstrong. This is a lot shorter in comparison to that.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that.

The players have been poorly represented IMO, by lawyers paid for by essendon. Which means there is hopeless conflict of interest. The players should have gone out and got their own legal representation - lawyers that would make decisions based on the best interests of the players, not the club.

Essendon could not have one player accept a deal, because it then leaves them open to legal suits against them for failing to provide a safe work place.

But, but, but, it's all about the players ... :rolleyes:

You are doubly screwed. They're also talking about Carlton and Trigg is there.

2 years for Bock and another 2 for anything Carlton did. You lot will cop a minimum of 4 years worth of sanctions. :D

Oh but it's ok. We have a young strong list and can probably take the hit. #StandByTrigg

agree 100%

let the cleansing commence. If the AFL is serious about expanding the game they need to realise that they and Essendon have to cop a big one on the chin or they'll be a world wide embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back