Analysis Training Watch - Off Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how Stratton had Wingard's measure nearly the whole prelim, i wouldn't be experimenting with anyone else unless Wingard is beating all of the options we have for him down back.
Just an example mate, Wantfries or even Gray could do with a minder as well.

Just an example mate, Wantfries or even Gray could do with a minder as well.

I know you said he probably won't go anywhere, but i really can't see him going down back. We have several options at small/mid sized defender, but small forwards are a little more sparse imo, especially pure pressure forwards like Pop.

I know you said he probably won't go anywhere, but i really can't see him going down back. We have several options at small/mid sized defender, but small forwards are a little more sparse imo, especially pure pressure forwards like Pop.
is this why the rush to elevate Webster?

Poppa is the best pressure forward in the entire AFL. At Hawthorn only Rioli comes close to him in that regard. Add 22 goals and 20 goal assists to that and he is a mile away from being usurped.

The intercept goal to Hodge that shut the gate on Sydney would never have happened had the little legend not burst through a tackler, just missed from fifty, then sprinted forty metres to cover the would-be receiver in the pocket, shutting off Rohan's out and giving him the more attractive, yet injudicious option of McGlynn straight up the middle.

He does this type of thing all the time in a match and is a huge key to our side.
Well said.

9th in the Peter Crimmins medal suggests he is rated way higher internally then some have around here.

Absolute heart and soul. He has plenty of improvement left too.

Who believes Poppy will be fighting for his spot - it's bizzare how some arrive at valuing a player in the side.

He looks harder to tackle alright.
Just on tackling, many believe that Poppy will be fighting for his spot with the talent to come in but if you saw him yesterday, he laid some ferocious tackles (even got Birch) & it was easy to see his worth.
I mentioned Birch as he killed it in decision making drills
Hopefully I haven't inadvertently made this about Poppy's spot in the side.. from the 'best 22' thread this topic was raised as several didn't have him in their best 18 let alone 22. For the record I did.

If you're trying to squeeze a kid into a side that has just won B2B then no matter who you "cut" is going to be very unlucky and supporters are going to be upset.

From the 2014 GF side, the only obvious one for me is Spangher out for Frawley in.

Otherwise, some real hard calls have to be made.

- Duryea is the obvious candidate being the sub and probably the "worst" player from the side.

After that, blimey.

For discussion purposes only is Shiels maybe the one that goes out, for perhaps an Anderson/Hartung/JOR? Langers does the run with role now and Shiels is a tackling machine, but not a damaging disposal getter and doesnt hit the score board

Shiels is a running machine and not only shuts down his opponent he gathers important possessions and is a very good deliverer of the ball inside 50. He stays in my team.

I thought that was because both he and Willsmore were tapped up by other clubs and told if they entered the national draft they'd be picked up.

Willsmore had lots and lots of interest. The Hawks want him as well and we had to elevated or lose him. Webster I assume was the same but I don't have direct information on that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said.

9th in the Peter Crimmins medal suggests he is rated way higher internally then some have around here.

Absolute heart and soul. He has plenty of improvement left too.
True but the players below him mostly had injury riddled seasons e.g. Rioli, Mitchell. Of course he did finish above Brad Hill so definitely rated internally!

7.30 a.m today Hawks players were in finishing stages of an obvious intensive boxing session. Stunning setting where they were exercising on the rise, above the rock pools, looking down the Mooloolaba beach and across a dead flat sea to the Point Cartwright lighthouse. If you had to exercise this was a perfect place to do it.

Obvious that Hawks had started early today to try and beat the heat and humidity, but with it being already being 29C and 71% humidity at 7.30, they may have not got much relief. They looked hot and in need of a swim, as they all walked the short distance past all of us, who were doing no exercise, having early morning coffees. Fifteen minutes in the surf and the short walk back to their hotel and they are all changed and heading out for coffee etc. Very relaxed and of note that your senior players seem to be keeping close to your younger players, chatting with them. Not sure if they are their club mentors, or just senior players taking a leadership role, but a great sign for your club.

7.30 a.m today Hawks players were in finishing stages of an obvious intensive boxing session. Stunning setting where they were exercising on the rise, above the rock pools, looking down the Mooloolaba beach and across a dead flat sea to the Point Cartwright lighthouse. If you had to exercise this was a perfect place to do it.

Obvious that Hawks had started early today to try and beat the heat and humidity, but with it being already being 29C and 71% humidity at 7.30, they may have not got much relief. They looked hot and in need of a swim, as they all walked the short distance past all of us, who were doing no exercise, having early morning coffees. Fifteen minutes in the surf and the short walk back to their hotel and they are all changed and heading out for coffee etc. Very relaxed and of note that your senior players seem to be keeping close to your younger players, chatting with them. Not sure if they are their club mentors, or just senior players taking a leadership role, but a great sign for your club.

This is where the demons went horribly wrong.

This is where the demons went horribly wrong.
Like cutting a guy like Cameron Bruce who while over the hill in a playing sense still had a lot to deliver from a leadership and youth development sense.
Hawks picked him up as a player recruit on the cheap and while at the time it seemed like it was a waste of a trade we can now see how it has paid massive dividends with the accelerated development of the younger boys since he got here and has transitioned into a coaching role. Their loss, our gain.

Thanks for posting, I'm going to vote for you for Honourable Hawk for the week!

Tell me, with all that brilliant footy flesh around you, were you feeling as bit frisky?
I know I would!

Tell me, with all that brilliant footy flesh around you, were you feeling as bit frisky?
I know I would!

Let me apologise up front by saying I am an old man and I realise attitudes have changed since I first ventured out to hunt the beaver.

When looking at our team, I don't get wood, I don't get frisky and I don't want to have their babies. They are dudes, ffs. I simply bask in the glory that is Hawthorn.

Not having a shot at you Davo, I know you are just having a bit of a laugh.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back