Unclaimed Money

Remove this Banner Ad

Gday all,

Got one of those letters from a company called Money Scout claiming that I have about $1000 in unclaimed money. They are willing to charge $98 to source it, but I need to provide copies of ID, which makes me nervous.

Have tried searching for the money myself, through ASIC (fido), Vic State Revenue Office and Superseeker for lost super. Could not find it.

Has anyone ever used Money Scout? They supposedly have an office in Collins St, and their website looks OK. Can't find any negative press about them, so a bit undecided about what to do.

Sounds like a scam.

Amazing that the amount is exactly $1000.00!

Yeah, it's actually $1015 or something. Probably a scam, but you can't help but wonder...

May well ring Consumer Affairs - cheers.

Gday all,

Got one of those letters from a company called Money Scout claiming that I have about $1000 in unclaimed money. They are willing to charge $98 to source it, but I need to provide copies of ID, which makes me nervous.

Have tried searching for the money myself, through ASIC (fido), Vic State Revenue Office and Superseeker for lost super. Could not find it.

Has anyone ever used Money Scout? They supposedly have an office in Collins St, and their website looks OK. Can't find any negative press about them, so a bit undecided about what to do.

Collins St, Abuja?

Yeah, it's actually $1015 or something. Probably a scam, but you can't help but wonder...

May well ring Consumer Affairs - cheers.

If its over $200 you can't get it as cash anyway, you can only roll it over to your current super fund.

Check this website, the ATO run it. If it isn't listed on this site, there is a very large chance that you don't have any lost super, because whenever a super company can't locate a member - this is the website they upload their info to.

https://superseeker.super.ato.gov.au/SuperSeekerWeb/default.aspx?pid=71

Thanks Rick, yes had checked superseeker and nothing there. May just shred the letter and forget I ever received it. :thumbsu:

If you want to be really sure, just think about which jobs you've held since the late 90's. Contact them all individually and ask which super funds they used during your time working there, then contact those funds and see if you've got anything.

Superannuation and insurance can be a bitch, but really it just takes a bit of organisational skills (things a planner would charge for). You're almost always better off having it all in the same super fund though.

Gday all,

I did one recently for a client, he received a letter stating he had 1800 in unclaimed money but they wanted $700 to do it not 98, so 98 is pretty good.

If it's held with the Vic Rev Office, I would suggest it's from an invest you may have had that had gone bad and there is a portion of a dis't you are entitled too, doubt it's super,m unless you have never had an investment.

The problem I struck for my client was Computershare listed the money with the Vic Rev office. They gave his name and the amount, that was IT. So we had great issues trying to prove he was the only person entitled to claim that money, lucky his name wasn't John Smith.

So for $98 I would do it. Just call the company on the letter and see what the is from first for peace of mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did one recently for a client, he received a letter stating he had 1800 in unclaimed money but they wanted $700 to do it not 98, so 98 is pretty good.

If it's held with the Vic Rev Office, I would suggest it's from an invest you may have had that had gone bad and there is a portion of a dis't you are entitled too, doubt it's super,m unless you have never had an investment.

The problem I struck for my client was Computershare listed the money with the Vic Rev office. They gave his name and the amount, that was IT. So we had great issues trying to prove he was the only person entitled to claim that money, lucky his name wasn't John Smith.

So for $98 I would do it. Just call the company on the letter and see what the is from first for peace of mind.

I got a letter today from them today. Was very dubious so did my own checks.
Checked the NSW OSR and its genuine. An unclaimed cheque from a health fund.

Sweet.

Now i am gonna claim it myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back